Cutting a date short for Football? Am I overreacting?

tattoobunnie

Hi Everyone. To sum up, I got out of a relationship a few months ago where a game of whatever sort; Football, World of Warcraft, Baseball, Basketball and his billion fantasy leagues always took precedence over me. I just started dating someone new, and I'm not sure if I'm overreacting to one of his replies with regards to a date we have planned to go to the MOMA for the following weekend:

"let's do it. During the day right? We should go early and grab lunch.

There might be a giant game that night that I will have to watch. Sorry.

I'm not sure if it's the damaged goods that's talking, or if I should see this as a red flag of things to come. What do you think? I may be ready to jump ship...

Thanks!

It sounds like your ex put lots of gaming first before you. This guy simply wants to watch the Football game. What is your favourite show on TV...the show you always look forward to, get comfortable and sit down and watch? Do you ever feel like you really don't want to have to go out because you really look forward to relaxing, propping your feet up and watching that show? Football for many people is the same thing. They love watching it...it is a very social thing for many people..especially the next day when arm chair quarterbacks assemble by the water cooler at work to pick apart the game! I would give him a chance and understand that to many men, Football is sacred...they don't call them "Football Widows" for nothing..LOL.

Yeah...I know...I think it's the damaged goods part of me thinking...football season is almost over. Just seemed after that with the ex, there was always something else, into something else...and he was the only dude I've ever dated that watched sports (weird huh?), so I'm not sure what a happy medium for a guy is like.

He seems like a good guy...just not sure if I should just flake out and pretend I'm doing something else.

Hmm...interesting...while I started learning about the game...during the playoffs, do they play everyday, or just on Saturday and Sunday? I get the whole Sunday thing, and men having something to talk about...but is it a Saturday night thing too? Ugh, yes...I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to this sport.

I'm sorry, but playoffs are important, even to me! My Chargers are playing the Steelers on Sunday and you can be darn sure they come first lol.

I'm just saying, don't read into it to far, like ghost said, it's playoff season and footballs almost over. It's kind of sad for us hard-core fans and we want to get ever second in we can

(Not exactly sure how it all works, but my Chargers played the Colts last Saturday night, but they play Sunday this week)

It's not like he's flaking out on you completely, he still wants to spend time with you. Let him watch his team. I'm sure there will come a time when there's something you really want to do in the evening and you'll expect him to be understanding if you can't hang out or want to switch the plans to an earlier time.

Personally I'd pass up a date for watching a evening of football, especially during the playoffs.....sorry.

or make it a date and go watch together.

OP, why can't you watch with him? you know, i've dated girls that knew nothing about football and once i explained a lot of the game, they liked going weekly.

and yes, it's just saturday and sunday this week. next week just sunday. then the superbowl sunday feb 1. it's very much almost over. BUT, there are only two games both days this week.

BUT, there are only two games both days this week.

And I'll be watching them all! I used to be oblivious to football, but after my husband started explaining the game to me years ago, I just LOVED it. Now I gotta have my fix and I'll be sad once the season is over.

And I'll be watching them all! I used to be oblivious to football, but after my husband started explaining the game to me years ago, I just LOVED it. Now I gotta have my fix and I'll be sad once the season is over.

cool. too bad one of my exs picked a team i hated. i think she did it on purpose. good times though.

cool. too bad one of my exs picked a team i hated. i think she did it on purpose. good times though.

Lol, women can be like that. My fave teams are the Chargers and the Packers, but I'll watch any game. If it's a fun game to watch, I don't care who's playing. My husband is different though, he hates quite a few teams due to their rivalry with the Chargers.

Lol, women can be like that. My fave teams are the Chargers and the Packers, but I'll watch any game. If it's a fun game to watch, I don't care who's playing. My husband is different though, he hates quite a few teams due to their rivalry with the Chargers.

i hate the packers. i think you know my 'rival' team now.

go vikes!!

or make it a date and go watch together.

OP, why can't you watch with him? you know, i've dated girls that knew nothing about football and once i explained a lot of the game, they liked going weekly.

and yes, it's just saturday and sunday this week. next week just sunday. then the superbowl sunday feb 1. it's very much almost over. BUT, there are only two games both days this week.

ehh..I wouldn't want to watch a playoff game and have to explain it to someone, or have someone there making me feel like they'd rather be doing something else.

That's with any new thing people share together. And if a person acts like they don't wanna be there...pretty lame person. I mean I've watched a lot of games, just had no clue what they were doing before. The start of this season was the first time I finally asked what the hell was going on.

Ok I have to add something here,,,My Bf told me in the beginning that Football is his passion and that while its the season he will watch his games and that he would call me in between..well that went on for a while and slowley but surely he has been putting me first...like last Sunday he just recorded the game and we spent it together..I really don't feel left out when he is with his boy watching the play offs...that's his time and im happy that he can have that time because he works hard and he deserves it.

Archived