Cutting a date short for Football? Am I overreacting?

tattoobunnie

i would cut him some slack too. unless he is ALWAYS doing this. i can understand wanting to rush home to see some show. i would equate it to watching the season premier of LOST for myself. however, i can still get value by recording and then watching the show. if he records the game, but then sees the final score on TV before he watches it, it kind of ruins the game for him.

Hi Everyone. To sum up, I got out of a relationship a few months ago where a game of whatever sort; Football, World of Warcraft, Baseball, Basketball and his billion fantasy leagues always took precedence over me. I just started dating someone new, and I'm not sure if I'm overreacting to one of his replies with regards to a date we have planned to go to the MOMA for the following weekend:

"let's do it. During the day right? We should go early and grab lunch.

There might be a giant game that night that I will have to watch. Sorry.

I'm not sure if it's the damaged goods that's talking, or if I should see this as a red flag of things to come. What do you think? I may be ready to jump ship...

Thanks!

No, that's the man's passion and something he has been watching long before he met you. He still managed to see you and was upfront about it so what is the big deal?

or make it a date and go watch together.

OP, why can't you watch with him? you know, i've dated girls that knew nothing about football and once i explained a lot of the game, they liked going weekly.

and yes, it's just saturday and sunday this week. next week just sunday. then the superbowl sunday feb 1. it's very much almost over. BUT, there are only two games both days this week.

That may not work gjost if it's a playoff game, your team is in a huge playoff game which is be stressful and it would not be the time to sit around a female and explain the game of football. Maybe the first month of the season.

That may not work gjost if it's a playoff game, your team is in a huge playoff game which is be stressful and it would not be the time to sit around a female and explain the game of football. Maybe the first month of the season.

true. but you can chat during the commercials.

It's the playoffs and he's still willing to meet you at a time that doesn't conflict with the game. I don't see the big deal.

As a guy, sports is a passion. Most of us grew up on it. Let him have his fun and then meet him afterwards (or beforehand, whatever the case may be). If the relationship doesn't work out, it shouldn't be because he wanted to spend 3 hours watching a game he's probably been looking forward to for months.

Oh...it's not that he watches sports, fight tigers in his spare time, or whatever. I just only asked after my ex left a bad taste in my mouth about watching, playing games...he normally would sign up for 4 to 6 fantasy leagues for all sports, and played World of Warcraft 35+ hours a week (and I am not kidding at all). I just needed some people opinions to know that I'm not getting into the same kind of the same crappy situation I had before, since I just started seeing him. Just looking to see what "normal" is.

or make it a date and go watch together.

OP, why can't you watch with him? you know, i've dated girls that knew nothing about football and once i explained a lot of the game, they liked going weekly.

True, but then she could be the Jessica Simpson to your Tony Romo and jinx your team. Are you comfortable taking that risk?

Oh...it's not that he watches sports, fight tigers in his spare time, or whatever. I just only asked after my ex left a bad taste in my mouth about watching, playing games...he normally would sign up for 4 to 6 fantasy leagues for all sports, and played World of Warcraft 35+ hours a week (and I am not kidding at all). I just needed some people opinions to know that I'm not getting into the same kind of the same crappy situation I had before, since I just started seeing him. Just looking to see what "normal" is.

If it's just about the playoffs and Superbowl, then it's completely normal, IMO. If he's cancelling on you to play X-Box in his underwear, then there might be a problem.

Go with your judgement, but us guys take sports very seriously, so I don't see an issue in this case. As long as he treats you well and shows a genuine interest in you, that's all that matters.

And apparently, being superstitious is normal. Ha! I just remember the ex rushing me while we were out for a party or something just to come home to our apartment to play video game "raids". There were days he didn't say more than hello to me. Just making sure, I'm not wasting time with someone like him.

True, but then she could be the Jessica Simpson to your Tony Romo and jinx your team. Are you comfortable taking that risk?

losses happen. i doubt the OP is dating one of the players.

and romo screwed up on his own, not because of her. look at tony parker, he still plays the same....good.

losses happen. i doubt the OP is dating one of the players.

and romo screwed up on his own, not because of her. look at tony parker, he still plays the same....good.

I was joking around about the jinx part, but many of my friends are like that. If the SO is watching when the team is doing well, she's a good luck charm. When she walks in and the team throws an interception, she's the walking kiss of death. I've never examined the correlation between the two, but I just roll with it when it's convenient.

I was joking around about the jinx part, but many of my friends are like that. If the SO is watching when the team is doing well, she's a good luck charm. When she walks in and the team throws an interception, she's the walking kiss of death. I've never examined the correlation between the two, but I just roll with it when it's convenient.

LOL and this is why I stay away from my fiance when his basketball team is playing (And they SUCK so I get blamed a lot, LOL in a playful way of course..)

me and my buddies joke like that all the time.\

'its because you showed up to watch today.' lol

It's a matter of preference, I've found that people who have set television viewing schedules aren't really a good match for me in relationships or friendships. There's nothing on television ever that I would choose over an opportunity to do something real with someone.

This has been kinda driven home by the success of American Idol. Several of the women I have dated over the last couple of years "need" to be in front of a TV to see that show, and those usually don't work out for seemingly unrelated reasons that may not be so unrelated after all.

Archived