My dad is an $#!

Sean

This is a continuation of this thread.

So, I told my parents about what's happening, and how I felt. Well, they didn't take the news that well. In fact, they told me that I'm not dropping out and they're going to go talk to the college on Friday, which is just fantastic. It didn't even matter what I wanted, all that mattered was that I had a job, no matter how much I'd hate that job. My dad was the one who told me I wasn't dropping out, and he told me that he wasn't support my uneducated ass. Which I find funny because I have a BA, so I don't consider myself uneducated. My mom wasn't any help, she just sat there and agreed with him.

I smoke when I'm stressed, and today I have had 4 cigarettes, which means my stress levels is through the roof. I don't know what I can do anymore, I can't do what I want to do, and I can't do what they want me to do. The only time I'm really happy is when I'm flying, or anything to do with aviation. Of course my dad also told me that me having a job in aviation is a "fantasy", that it won't happen. Which I disagree with, I believe if you're really passionate about something, people will be able to tell, and they'll be more likely to hire you.

I understand why my dad wants me to be an OT, it is a hot field, and I will get hired. But I'll be honest, it's only temporary because I don't plan to make a career out of it. I only plan to work at it till I get enough money to go back to school to get what I really want. Which, most likely will be an aviation centered job.

What is it with parents and their ability to drive their children to suicide?

your parents want the best for you, and it is incredibly hard to get into the feild you want, and like you said it isn't impossbile, just go witht the flow until you finish,get a job go back to school and get into what you want to do, be prepared to have to wait years of applying before they actually take you on.

With the suicidal part, its because they probably lived in a time where they HAD to do what their parents chose, and from you saying your mother isn't from an english speaking background makes me think she was raised with rather Traditional views.

your parents want the best for you, and it is incredibly hard to get into the feild you want, and like you said it isn't impossbile, just go witht the flow until you finish,get a job go back to school and get into what you want to do, be prepared to have to wait years of applying before they actually take you on.

Best in what way, financial? I'm sorry, but if I wanted to go into a career for financial reason only, I'd go into business, or something that would pay more than $50k a year. I'm not passionate about being an OT, or excited, or anything. My advisor told me that it would be a hard two years if I'm not passionate about this, and trust me this semester alone I've been overstressed, and overworked, and it's affecting my physical, mental and emotional health. I just don't think it's worth my health. Beside aviation isn't the only thing I'm interested in or what I can get into. I'm also interested in History, Politics, Writing, and Computers.

With the suicidal part, its because they probably lived in a time where they HAD to do what their parents chose, and from you saying your mother isn't from an english speaking background makes me think she was raised with rather Traditional views.

Ehh I actually never said that. My parents both grew up in the USA and in the 1960s and 70s. So I don't know where you got that from.

That would be your parents way of thinking, I don't know why, as I'm obviously not a parent, have you told them about other things you are interested in? Why do they get to decide your future? If I was told what I had to do I would up and leave, for some that isn't an option, but it is your life.

OK, I must have been thinking about a different post at the time, sorry

Archived