Is it wrong to have an ethnic/racial preference when dating?

schaser

"i will only date girls with white skin because i think girls with non-white skin are unattractive"

is it racist?

not sure how 'dirty, ugly, or stupid' differs from 'unattractive'

I haven't seen anyone say they wouldn't date someone with a specific skin color because they were unattractive?

Saying I personally am not attracted romantically to people with dark skin is not the same as me saying they are unattractive.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Japanese men are gorgeous. Sorry, not contributing much to the debate, but I do....that guy in 'The Last Samurai' (Ken Watanabe) - he was so sexy.

People are allowed to find who they like sexy. You don't have to be equal opportunities in dating, you can fancy short/tall/fat/thin/dark/fair/black/white or whatever. Sucks if someone won't consider you, but there you go. I met a cute guy who said I was too short...what can you do????? lol.

Plus if someone has religious preferences/cultural preferences, that's okay too. Hurts though - my friend got dumped by someone from the Middle East because she was white British and he didn't want that in his wife.

i also feel that "I only date white girls because black/indian/asian girls are dirty, ugly, or just stupid" does not make some one racist. the person is explaining their preference and why they don't like girls from other race. that is much better than "i will only date this race" and stopping there.

No, saying you wouldnt' date someone of another race because of a "stereotype" is racist in many ways. However just not being attracted to them isn't racist, it's all about who you are attracted to. If a black, mexican or indian guy came along and I was romantically attracted to them I would date them regardless of their skin color however that has not been the case with me.

No, saying you wouldnt' date someone of another race because of a "stereotype" is racist in many ways. However just not being attracted to them isn't racist, it's all about who you are attracted to. If a black, mexican or indian guy came along and I was romantically attracted to them I would date them regardless of their skin color however that has not been the case with me.

what is the difference between "i am not attracted to that race" and "i find people from that race to be unattractive". it is the same. you are only sugar-coating the pill with the former sentence.

people hate to be called as a racist. so they twist and turn things around so as not to sound racist. if you are a racist just say so. be bold. nobody can jump on you. it is your personal preference to be a racist. nothing wrong in it.

I agree but alot of the arguments on here are jumping to everyone being racist when in reality it isn't about racism it's about who you are attracted to.

I hear you, but I think it's somewhat racist b/c not all "insert race here" people look the same and that person is saying all of them are unattractive. There are attractive people in any race. Now % of attractivness can very of course.

I hear you, but I think it's somewhat racist b/c not all "insert race here" people look the same and that person is saying all of them are unattractive. There are attractive people in any race. Now % of attractivness can very of course.

same reason i don't want to drive a 1969 gremlin. just not my type of car.

.... my friend got dumped by someone from the Middle East because she was white British and he didn't want that in his wife.

Why the heck get involved with her then?

I mean, yeah I know that people date and it isn't expected to lead to marriage. But why get involved, if that isn't what he is looking for??

Why the heck get involved with her then?

I mean, yeah I know that people date and it isn't expected to lead to marriage. But why get involved, if that isn't what he is looking for??

why the double standards?

when i said a girl rejected me saying "i will only date jewish guys" people here said it is her personal preference.

in the same way the middle eastern guy had his own personal preference and dumped that british woman. what is wrong with it?

why the double standards?

when i said a girl rejected me saying "i will only date jewish guys" people here said it is her personal preference.

People here said that....not me.

So go ask them. I don't know how other people think.

I asked HP why her friend was dumped by the Mid Eastern guy, out of curiosity...

And most likely because I am involved with a Mid Eastern guy myself...and Im wondering if hes gonna dump me eventually and cuz Im a whitey..... lol

Bingo! Discrimination. So people who say they wouldn't date X race are racist. Practiciing discrimination based on race. Damn, people will say and write anything to not be labeled racist when they clearly are racist or are practicing racism.

thank god some one gets it here.

saying "i will only date race x" is also racist in my opinion. words like "personal preference" is sugar-coating the pill and a reason not to feel like a racist. people are not idiots... if you are a racist just be bold and agree. nothing wrong in it.

To me it's a personal preference and I won't date anyone outside of [my] race.

Here you say "you won't..."

Saying you wouldnt' date someone of another race because of a "stereotype" is racist in many ways. However just not being attracted to them isn't racist, it's all about who you are attracted to. If a black, mexican or indian guy came along and I was romantically attracted to them I would date them regardless of their skin color however that has not been the case with me.

Now, you say you would. Why can't folks like you skip the "I won'ts" and just say "I prefer..." that way we know you prefer but you don't rule anything else out!

The only problem I have is when the "I won'ts" play into when 2 people could have something great but it's all overlooked becasue of racial preference.

"I will only date women with white skin"

Does this make me racist?

Yes, at least I would. I'd probably shake my head, and wonder how one can just rule someone out just because he/she is _______

"i will only date girls with white skin because i think girls with non-white skin are unattractive"

is it racist?

Yup.

it's somewhat racist b/c not all "insert race here" people look the same and that person is saying all of them are unattractive. There are attractive people in any race. Now % of attractivness can very of course.

There are folks who are "black" but have such light skin they could be mistaken for _____ (insert any race). What about those 'guys'? See here is when I'd like to know if the "I won'ts" acutally turn into "I would's" if you founs them attractive in which case I aruge, the above... "leave out the I don't and the I won'ts and just say I prefer..." That was my point to begin with.

thank god some one gets it here.

saying "i will only date race x" is also racist in my opinion. words like "personal preference" is sugar-coating the pill and a reason not to feel like a racist. people are not idiots... if you are a racist just be bold and agree. nothing wrong in it.

i must be racist towards guys cause i don't date them. i discriminate against men. sexist too.

Racism is:

The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

If we take this for truth... fine, you all are not "racist" but you are most certainly dicriminating and acting with prejudice.

this girl rejected me and said "i will only date jewish guys".

but she actually likes me... she actually loves me... but because of her personal preference to date only jewish guys she does not want to date me.. she only goes on dates with jewish guys.

is she racist?

No, she isn't.

She probably wants to raise jewish children and marry jewish to appease her heritage and parental pressure.

There is nothing wrong with that. Her standards only limit her dating pool, they don't offend you.

Archived