Is it wrong to have an ethnic/racial preference when dating?

schaser
Describe a Person You Know Who is F...
Describe a Person You Know Who is From a Different Culture IELTS Cue Card Sample Answer 1

I often chat with some people in my class a lot before lesson starts, and the topic of dating came up on one occasion. One of the guys there said that his current girlfriend is Hispanic and he last two girlfriends were Hispanic as well. He is white but he says that for him, Hispanic women are the most attractive and would generally choose to date a Hispanic woman over women of other races.

Now, is this bad? Of course, who he chooses to date is his own business and I shouldn't really care, but still, is it bad for a person to exclusively date members of a specific race/ethnic group?

Is it any different from choosing to date only blondes or brunettes, tall women or women with large breasts?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when it comes to making personal choices like partners, people need to choose whomever they are attracted to and feel comfortable with. people have all kinds of characteristics they look for, and perhaps he likes dark eyed brunettes, which i think is what he is basically saying.

so i wouldn't judge him because he is attracted to a particular type. everyone has their own types they are attracted to, either based on looked or other personality or other attributes.

Well OP never mentioned racism, but....

He can hardly be classed a 'racist', if he's white and he's dating hispanic women.

Racists I would imagine, do not date outside of their own race....but people who do not date outside of their own race, I wouldn't deem a racist either. It's a 'preference'...a personal choice.

A racist is someone who thinks of their race, as being superior to another.

It is also a dislike of someone, based entirely upon their skin colour...

I hate how this 'racist' label, is so easily bandied around, which it is in England and for the least little thing....but that's a different topic.

But anyway...I think hispanic women are gorgeous, can't say I blame him for being a lot partial to them...

I am picky as to who I date. I am white and will only date white men. I have dated a puerto rican man, and he was awesome in bed!! So, I'd take the chance on another if he looked like the last one! lol

I know it sounds bad, but I have my preferences. I have tried to date outside of my preference, but it didnt work.

You can chose what race you want to date as much as you can choose to prefer what color eyes you like.

It becomes racist when its not a matter of sexual preference but as hatred.

I don't date black men. Never have, never will. I don't find skin that dark to be attractive. However, I don't hate black men at all. I don't think they are lazy, I don't think that they don't contribute to society or anything like that. Just personal preference.

I often chat with some people in my class a lot before lesson starts, and the topic of dating came up on one occasion. One of the guys there said that his current girlfriend is Hispanic and he last two girlfriends were Hispanic as well. He is white but he says that for him, Hispanic women are the most attractive and would generally choose to date a Hispanic woman over women of other races.

Now, is this bad? Of course, who he chooses to date is his own business and I shouldn't really care, but still, is it bad for a person to exclusively date members of a specific race/ethnic group?

Is it any different from choosing to date only blondes or brunettes, tall women or women with large breasts?

No it's not wrong. I'm half black and I won't date black women.

this is completely ok. Im not a racist one bit but i prefer to date caucasian women. nothing against any other races but thats just my preferences. now will i hook up with or see someone from other races? sure why not but they usually end up being white. I am a mixed race but for the most part hispanic.

I only see a problem when someone says "I don't date _____" "I only date ______".

Those are racist comments entirely. That is discriminating straight up based on race. Now if you prefer a "race" sure, fine. I have my preferences to, but that's never to say I don't date this or I only date that.

I only see a problem when someone says "I don't date _____" "I only date ______".

Those are racist comments entirely. That is discriminating straight up based on race. Now if you prefer a "race" sure, fine. I have my preferences to, but that's never to say I don't date this or I only date that.

Racism and discrimination are not equal concepts. It would be racist if like, a white guy said stereotypical and negative things about Indian women. He's prejudiced against them and is practicing racism. If he did not say anything bad about Indian women, but merely said that he will not date them, it is a personal discrimination. This discrimination is NOT unethical because it is a preference.

If I had said I will not eat olives then I am discriminating that food. Is it bad? No. It's my personal taste.

^ Ruling someone out solely based on race is discrimination. Discrimination is racism in practice.

I agree with this except in the case of a minority group wanting to date another minority group due to cultural compatability, language, etc (eg, Mexican wants to date only Mexicans). It would be racist to say "I don't date blacks" or "I don't date Asians" as you imply. So Girl68, your post is right on.

I think it's perfectly fine. To me, it's only a problem when it's based on a fetish because then it's not about the individual person you are seeing. I'm not a fan of dating based on race fetishes because to me that's usually based on stereotypes anyway. I dunno, just rubs me the wrong way.

i disagree 100%. would i be racist cause i like bright green/blue eyes? pffft.

nobody is allowed to have preference?

No. But I'd call you racist the minute you say "I don't date ____ chicks" ..... even if you were to follow up with "becuase I like ______"

I did say it's alright to have a preference but when that preference turns into "I only ...." or " I do not date...."

Hell I like asian dudes, but I don't go around saying "I ONLY date asian guys" Nor would I say "I don't date.... white, black, indian... or w/e". I have no problems with the folks who merely have a preference like I do, I do have a problem with people ruling other out SOLELY based on race though... that's all I'm saying.

Preference in dating is not equal to ruling out groups of people purely based on the race.

i dissagree with you here. I have said i dont date african american people. Not because im racist cause some of my best friends are black but i have just never been attracted sexually. does that make me a racist?? its just called personal preference.

Archived