Big, Small or very small

Big, small, very small or spontaneous  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Big, small, very small or spontaneous

• Big fancy, all decked out wedding
    • Small intimate close family and friends etc. type wedding
    • Court house wedding
    • Vegas!

If your rich with money to throw away its sort of like okay why not go all out. But if your the average person in this world, you probably prefer it go towards a honeymoon. I forgot where this was, this very young couple threw their reception like a PARTY. As in a club type thing. Her dress got ruined, but she seem to care although they were in debt and didn't get a honeymoon.

Personally, I want a small and intimate wedding. I have never been one to bask in spotlight or even want it all on me. However I enjoy ocasional attention.

I used to say I want to elope to Vegas, just so I don't need to plan any wedding, or worry my butt off about all the other stuff which goes with "the big day". I still find it appealing, but would try and do at least a small wedding, just b/c it's a big day to celebrate, and I would want everyone to see my and the future husband together.. and celebrate with us. (Aww.. can't believe I wrote that).

My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks(!!!) and I originally wanted to elope to Hawaii (our favorite vacation place!) and get married. He is Irish Catholic and his family would have been very hurt and upset if we eloped, and after thinking about it I realized my family would be too.

So, our wedding guest list is abou 130 confirmed right now with a Catholic Church ceremony (no mass) and a reception at a beautiful golf club after wards.... and then we're off to Hawaii for 2 weeks to relax and recover.

The wedding kind of took on a life of it's own... but now I'm excited it's going to be this way and I'm having fun planning and preparing.

The best part is that at the end of the party I'll be his wife.

My wedding is going to be very simple yet elegant at the same time (make sense?). The ceremony is going to be waterfront followed by an indoor reception there will be around 65 guests at the most mostly just family and our closest friends. Our best friend is going to marry us since we both figured that would be our own special thing rather than having some random person marry us and that is his gift to us. Both sides of the family are pitching in for food/catering so that took a big load off of us. My fiance's aunt is doing the cake and his step-sister is doing the photography as a gift (she's a professional photographer) so that cut out most of our expenses right there.

At the end of the day, we have a budget for around $8,000(not including honeymoon) and so far we are under budget which is a GREAT thing! so it's not huge but it's also not something that is thrown together

At the end of the day, we have a budget for around $8,000(not including honeymoon) and so far we are under budget which is a GREAT thing! so it's not huge but it's also not something that is thrown together

That is a good feeling, isn't it? My fiance and I saved and scrimped for a year to pay for our wedding and we are under budget and will have a decent amount of money left over for savings.

It's the best!!

Every little bit we save is great, more money we have to put towards a house afterwards

Exactly. I never understood those who spent a huge amount on a wedding and have no where to live after wards. (my sister is one of these).

Fortunately we already own a home and have for 5 years, but we do need an addition at some point if we want more than 1 baby, so we'll be saving towards that.

I want a "weddingmoon"--go to wheerever you're planning to honeymoon, and invite anyone who can afford to come with you and who you want there, and get married there and celebrate for a week with your close friends and family and new spouse!

I'm thinking Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, somewhere beachy

I don't understand people who spend so much on weddings, its generally a waste of money. Its your special day, but some people go way overboard on it. I rather have more money towards a honeymoon and moving for the future. =]

I agree with this on some levels, if you have the money and can afford it and it's what you want and you value it, then why not?

What I don't understand as I mentioned before, is those who spend a fortune on it and then have no nest egg, or place to live after the wedding, or those who go into debt to throw the big party and then end up paying it off for years.

My fiance and I did things backwards and got our home first, so we have that, a decent savings, and we both have great jobs and make pretty good money. We knew we didn't want to go into debt for the wedding, but we are paying for it ourselves so we opened an additional 'wedding account' when we got engaged and tucked money into it every month and now we have paid 100% and have some left over for our savings account.

My dad told me when I was in my teens that he would pay $10,000 for my wedding. If it cost less than that, he'd give me and my husband the difference...if it cost more, it would come out of my pocket. Guess what I opted for? We put the difference toward our honeymoon in Washington State.

(My dad also told me that he'd pay for 4 years of college, and if I didn't finish in that time, I'd pay for the rest. I finished in 4 years. He knows how to motivate...)

We had only about 80-90 people at our wedding, which was at my parents' church in Wyoming. The reception was in the church basement (we had booked a ski lodge in the mountains, but the snow in June (!) made that impossible, so plan B it was).

We had a buffet-style dinner with beef brisket, cheese potatoes and green beans catered by a family friend; a beautiful cake made by a lady at my parents' church; a three-piece bluegrass band from my parents' church for the music; and a "second reception" at the historic saloon in their little downtown (since we couldn't have liquor at the church). It was AWESOME, and totally us.

The main things we splurged on were photos (the man who did ours was absolutely amazing), and my dress....I got it at David's for a good price, but then the alterations cost almost as much as the dress itself! It was perfect, though, and I'm so glad I got it. I selected bridesmaid's dresses on sale at David's, too, and paid for those myself as a gift for my girls (since they had to fly all the way to Wyoming to stand up with me as we got hitched!)

Archived