The meaning of life?

Really, I've tried my utmost hardest to have faith in humanity, but I have a heavy lack of it when I look at what's been happening as of late. I don't think it's fair that you're telling me I'm "closed-minded" just because I'm not spouting up "Aren't we great!?" dimestore buddhist propaganda. According to what you've been saying, Kurt Vonnegut is also "closed minded". I'm trying my best to enjoy what I have, while I have it. It's not like I personally chose to one day and think about life.

Look, traveling the world is not in everyone's means. I can't even afford rent for an apartment with my puny earnings, and you're telling me to do something that isn't necessarily in my means right now. When I get a band together and we start ruling, maybe.

Sure, it isn't exactly the most stable career to be a musician, but that's what makes me feel alive and happy. I don't feel "alive" when I'm sitting in a flippin' classroom all day long, squirming around and force-feeding countless facts and solutions only to be forgotten after class. I don't feel "fullfilled" standing around doing food service. I feel "alive and fulfilled" when I spend the day writing songs (can't do it alone, never worked for me) and even improvising or jamming. I'm tired of facing the reality of "life", though. I'm tired of having to do things just because "that's the way it's always done". Honestly, I know I'm gonna make a PoS living in the future, but really, music is the only thing I've held onto for longer than 5 years; even if I'm still not famous or am a household name, at least I've still got faith that I'll eventually find the right musicians and achieve the sound which makes me happy. It's what I love, so if nobody believes in me, screw them. Sure, I might end up being poor and starving for a while, but I prefer that over getting a "real" job and living life the way I'm "supposed" to.

Essentially, music is probably the only thing I have faith in. Sure, not everyone shares my views, but at least I'm being "myself" instead of trying to mask over my problems all the time.

CG,

I, too, am a musician. I am always wanting to learn something new in order to grow and broaden the horizons of my craft in order to reach people in different ways. I have never heard your music, but if I were you, I would be careful with the attitude. It seems like there are a frighteningly disproportionate number of bands/musicians than there are venues, so that is all the more reason to be as open as possible when it comes to working with other cats. Be flexible. Many musicians, including myself, sometimes turn our passion of music into a fantasy - the dream band, the dream sound, being famous, etc. They are realities which we are not experiencing at this very moment.

One of my favorite bassists to play with (also one of the most in-demand bassists in the city) works 5 days a week during the day in a coffee shop in addition to all the gigs/projects he's constantly juggling. It is that kind of flexibility that is inspiring. Quite a few musicians of the younger generation end up teaching or doing something else to make ends meet. The ones who make it strictly off of performing know the right people and/or stretch themselves thin.

Look into studying the business aspect of music. Even if you do not work for a label or a venue, it certainly helps knowing something about how professional music works from a business standpoint. I've heard a few great musicians on a local level that think everything is going to come to them. No PR, advertising, networking, what have you.

I would hate to see you get extremely frustrated over your music, but it isn't always going to work how we picture it in our minds. If you spend all day thinking about the rest of your life or the meaning of life, you won't have the time to do anything else. The world seems to be getting faster by the day. If you play an instrument or sing, you are working with a craft. That craft need be strengthened with patience and awareness. Every day that you wake up should be an opportunity to do what you do but with a plan of action. Seeing as music is sometimes not a hobby, but rather, a professional aspiration, the mindset you bring to it is equally important as your skills and talents.

I wish the best of luck to you.

The only point to life is, simply, to live it. When you die your existence ends and you rot into nothing - just like everything else on this planet. We're no better than the rats or the flies. Why do people think that, just because we have such a well developed mind, we are entitled to a more dignified purpose in life? We aren't, our purpose is survival.

For now, you're ALIVE so just LIVE. You die when you die and that could be at any moment so stop sitting around trying to think of some super secret meaning to life that you know, deep down inside, doesn't exist.

CG: Just throw up your middle finger to the corporate world and stop worrying about it. Sing and play music until you die. Be happy brother.

The only point to life is, simply, to live it. When you die your existence ends and you rot into nothing - just like everything else on this planet. We're no better than the rats or the flies. Why do people think that, just because we have such a well developed mind, we are entitled to a more dignified purpose in life? We aren't, our purpose is survival.

For now, you're ALIVE so just LIVE. You die when you die and that could be at any moment so stop sitting around trying to think of some super secret meaning to life that you know, deep down inside, doesn't exist.

CG: Just throw up your middle finger to the corporate world and stop worrying about it. Sing and play music until you die. Be happy brother.

But dude. CG is far from living his life. Existing yes. Throw your middle finger up to people all day long if you want it aint gonna mean your living your life.

If anything it will mean you are existing based on what others are doing. In this case existing to not be like others and telling them to F-off.

Makes sense to me.

But dude. CG is far from living his life. Existing yes. Throw your middle finger up to people all day long if you want it aint gonna mean your living your life.

If anything it will mean you are existing based on what others are doing. In this case existing to not be like others and telling them to F-off.

Makes sense to me.

No, not at all. All I'm saying is he should do whatever it takes to be happy.

We're no better than the rats or the flies. Why do people think that, just because we have such a well developed mind, we are entitled to a more dignified purpose in life? We aren't, our purpose is survival.

See, I could spend all day wondering about this alone. Sometimes, I think we're worse than all the other animals out there. I know I'm not alone in thinking this; someone please explain to me why for all the disgusting things flies do, they don't preform necrophilia? Plus, you don't see fish developing nuclear bombs and you don't see sheep whipping out automatic weapons used to harm or kill whoever you don't like. "What we are is semi-civilized beasts with baseball caps and semi-automatic weapons. -George Carlin"

Sometimes, I think being ignorant is a handy thing. Trevor Strong argued "Would cows be any happier knowing they were cows and that they would eventually be milked and killed for human consumption? No, they wouldn't be happier! Just like people... would it really make anyone happier if they found out that life was meaningless?" in the brilliant Canadian documentary, Stupidity (can be seen here link removed) It's a fantastic documentary that I recommend everyone watch.

Sing and play music until you die. Be happy brother.

If it's what I love, and makes me happy, then why should I give that up? Sure, maybe it won't make me millions, but at least I'd be expressing myself.

If it's what I love, and makes me happy, then why should I give that up? Sure, maybe it won't make me millions, but at least I'd be expressing myself.

Thats what I'm saying, mang. Do what you love and be happy. My cousin built a shack in the back yard of his girlfriends house and he lives in it. He grows his own crops, tattoos himself, and plays his guitar and some weird type of hand drum. He's happy. Probably the happiest person I've ever met. His only income comes from working a food pantry that serves old food to homeless people. He's somewhat of an outcast from our society and a lot of people look down upon him, but not me..I respect him more than most actually.

Just do you and you'll figure it out CG.

I constantly question the meaning of life also. Moreso then others i think. I look for answers, ask people questions but dont get any satisfaction in what i hear as there are so many different answers, which one is right? Plus people wonder why i am thinking of life and death at such a young age (29) and say that i shouldnt be worrying about these things.

Religion is something that i (like many) will never understand. If there is a god, i dont think he wants us to know why we are here, otherwise the answer would be clear. For example, how is it possible to not find Noahs Ark? If it really existed, then im sure there would be a way to find the ark.

Also, maybe religion was made up so that it gave people like myself, some hope that there is life after death.

Yes, i believe that we were just here to reproduce but there has to be more to it. That also leads me on to the fact that men were not born to spend there entire life with just one woman. If you investigate history and the man being the hunter, he was meant to spread his seed to as many females as possible to grow a tribe. This is why the divorce rates are so high. So why get married?

To me, life is a constant struggle. We study, we work to save money for a house, we buy a house but are then stuck with a mortgage which will hopefully be paid off by the time we retire. Then when we retire, we are too old and slow to be able to enjoy life to the fullest. Plus by this time, we are probably looking after our own parents who are at the age of dying.

I know life is what we make of it, but we will all face death one day, sooner or later, and this is something that we can not control. How depressing.

Archived