She's beautiful, but dumb...oh the humanity!!

greenmonster

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How nice for you.

Thank you. I am quite pleased with myself.

Just an impression I get when someone spews such negative and generalized hatred towards a group of successful people.

No hatred whatsoever. Probably half of our friends are economists, most of my workmates are economists, I love them to death. The ones that shower, of course. I've always had a preferrence for geeky, unique-looking people.

You have a tendency to jump to conclusions, however. Any opinion that I have must be based on some deep rooted insecurity, resentment or guilt. Like when I disagree with comments that women who smoke are horrible people who deserve to have their children taken away.. you automatically assume that I smoked while pregnant.

Interesting that when you brag about your husband it's about his looks - I realize that's fairly typical but it now makes even more sense why you made the comments you did about your classmates.

That's a really cheap shot. My husband and I have had a rocky past year and I've divulged the gory details on ENA. But if you'll read my more recent posts, you'll see that I have all kinds of good things to say about him. He is a good man, a devoted father, an adoring husband, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world.

Thanks for sharing and I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of my post to you and any previous post. I was just commenting on what you wrote in this particular post and your focus on his looks and how you believed you married the hottest guy in the class. Good for you! I am sorry about the difficulties you have had - was not aware of them. That does make me understand a bit more about where you were coming from in your post.

Well if it were me, Id be turned off if he was lacking in the brain department. I really don't get how someone can go out with someone for there looks. You've got to know it's not going to work. I guees some people don't see clearly when there's a hot chick, or guy, digging them.

Interesting that when you brag about your husband it's about his looks

...implies that the only good things I have to say about him are in regards to his looks. Considering the number of times that you've given me relationship advice on ENA (which I appreciate), I respectfully disagree that I misinterpretted your post.

Have spent most of my adult life dating highly intelligent women, and have decided after being put through the wringer by smart but crazy women over and over that emotional health, integrity and a pleasant, giving nature are so much more important. If she has these things and the looks, would see where it goes before writing her off for lacking book smarts. Only you can decide for yourself as others have said.

I agree with this. I certainly wouldn't write anyone off for being attractive. However, if I thought they were clueless, I couldn't go there just because they were hot. I don't need a wiz though. These other traits mentioned above are MUCH more important!

I agree with this. I certainly wouldn't write anyone off for being attractive. However, if I thought they were clueless, I couldn't go there just because they were hot. I don't need a wiz though. These other traits mentioned above are MUCH more important!

Not needing a wiz and not needing someone intellectually compatible are two entirely different things unless you yourself are a genius.

I'd get too frustrated, I enjoy conversation and debate as part of a relationship. I'm not interested in explaining basics and there are smart people that don't have common sense, too.

I'd say I'm more interested in a balanced person. I've know people that were dumber than a bag of hammers and I've known people that will be in the running for NASA admin, I know who I prefer to spend my time with.

Its all individual, you can be with someone you don't have deep conversations with, but you still need to respect them.

I'd have a hard time respecting someone who was really dumb.

My ex husband was very smart in VERY LIMITED areas. What he knew, he knew very well. But he was not well rounded. Conversation could be good in some areas, in others i felt like i was talking to a wall.

Everyone should know what their needs are. I know that mine are a man who is on an even par with me. He doesn't need to be in mensa, I'm not either, but having interesting discussions about a variety of topics is a biggie for me.

You are very likely to get really bored, really quickly. Although she might have hidden depths, perhaps you will find out if you stick around for a while.

Beauty is not worth much in the long run, and after a while it kind of wears off - people just wind up looking like themselves, you "forget" or "get over" the way they look initially. (Or is this just me that this happens to?) So if all there is is beauty, you are not going to be left with much substance after a while...

Plus there is the bit where you are pretty much dissing her by starting this thread - not a good sign.

For me, humor is the highest form of intelligence.

I think there is a lot of truth to that. I know some people who are so quick on the draw with a quip. It does take a certain amount of intelligence to pull that off.

I do know also that intelligence is more than just IQ. There is emotional IQ that many people leave out.

FOr example I have worked with brainiacs who would outdo me on an IQ test. I know that. But they lacked any people skills and they lacked the ability to know how to confidently handle a variety of situations that a corporate manager will become involved in. If an employer hired one of us based on IQ alone they would probably have been disappointed in high IQ/Low emotional IQ employee because they wont do well managing people. NOw i am often misconstrued here so let me say that I am not saying that ALL high IQ folks have a low emotional IQ. Of course not. Some of the most influential people in the world had/have a high combo of both. Oprah comes to mind.

My IQ is well above average but not off the charts. But my emotional IQ I do believe is off the charts and that helped me a great deal as a manager.

Ok...after hanging out with her for the last couple nights I think I realize what it is that makes her seem dumber than she actually is...

she has no internal monologue...much like Austin Powers when he first got unfrozen

she just spurts out whatever she is thinking...which most people have a filter in their head that says "wait...this would sound dumb if I said it"...and since she is just 20 and kinda ditsy then that just compounds things.

I mean..she is in college studying biology...so I know she has some book smarts...its just common sense seems to have left this girl waiting at the station.

anyways...thanks again for everyones responses.

You sound like you think you are too good for her. If that is the case, just leave her alone and find someone "smarter".

whoa, whoa, whoa...no way.

one of the last things I'll ever think about someone is that I'm "better" than they are.

I think this girl is great...she's funny, sweet, nice, cute as can be, comes from a good family, has goals/ambition, works hard, great kisser, loyal, honest...TONS of things about this girl are wonderful atributes...

In no way shape or form did I ever say or think that I am "better" than her. everyone is an individual and great in their own way in my book...and just because I got a couple college degrees and can answer most the questions on jeopardy doesn't mean I think she is any less of a person than I am.

Archived