Procrastination and Focus

insofar

I've always found it difficult to focus on something that doesn't "interest" me, per se, and recently it's been coming back to bite me something fierce. I almost wonder if I have ADD but I'm not going to go down that route unless I'm certain. For example, it takes me ages to do a timesheet for my work because I have to go through my logs and comment it, and I end up getting distracted by just about everything (and on my laptop, there is a lot to distract me). I end up handing in projects late for school even though I know in my head that I could do them very easily; I just end up not doing them until the last minute. I don't know if it's because I don't care or what... I mean, I want to get decent marks for my courses, I just find it so difficult to buckle down and do what needs to be done.

Does anyone have some tips or ideas for how to stop this cycle of procrastination? It's starting to get really bad in my case, and I know that I'm the only one to blame.

I don't really think I have ADD either, it was just a thought that popped into my head. But the whole "just buckle down" thing hasn't really helped in the past. Believe me, I try... I dunno. Maybe not enough.

You admit yourself that you try to buckle down, then you just don't do it. So I mean this is all something you can change, you just have to want to.

I'm like you... Procrastination is my absolute worst habit. But you know, procrastination is like masturbation... It feels good at first, until you realize that you're just screwing yourself.

Yeah, don't procrastinate. It has always caused me sorrow. I'll have to change my attitude... Someday... Perhaps tomorrow.

I've had a lot of terrible habits in my life, and they did come to bite me hard. I paid for them. Procrastination was but one...procrastination can lead to a lot worse things in the long term...even depression.

To deconstruct them, or one - like procrastination (I'm not perfect, but it's not like it used to be!) - you replace it with better habits.

Ever broken a bad habit before? Same skills you can apply to all.

Helps to start out with what in the big picture you care about. Really, really care about.

Good habits are easy to form when they are: Fun, easy, new. So keep that in mind when you try to go from "procrastinator" to "organized and efficient".

Then you create a vision for yourself based on what you really care about and value.

When you start to get distracted , think back to the vision and ask yourself if what you are doing is helping you to get there or not.

Essentially the question becomes "Do I want to be happy or not" - because you have chosen a vision of the things that make you feel all the ways you want to feel.

This is also how I've avoided gaining weight. I'm sure you have your own way of doing things when you do care about them - so use what works for you already.

But you need to be able to see exactly what you are going for, or else all can go to pot so fast.

hope this helps...this sure isn't my area of expertise...but some things I have learned...might get the ball rolling...

insofar, it really DOES come down to enjoying what you're doing. I've often been a huge procrastinator, but once I get a project started that I'm REALLY interested in, I can spend hours working on it and putting all my efforts into it. I sometimes had the "Do I have ADD" thoughts with myself, but the fact that I can pour myself into one thing without getting distracted tells me otherwise.

I don't blame you with the comments on a timesheet - I couldn't be bothered!

Also, you may be in a line of work that doesn't play to your skills. You're only 23, so I'm guessing you just entered the workforce out of college. You're probably doing entry-level work (hey, we've all had to do that) that doesn't require much brainpower from you, so it's easy to lose focus and become distracted. But you'll eventually find your niche and you'll excel at it.

Ugh, see, this is what I worry about as well. I'm in the IT field, a software developer, and I'd say I'm about intermediate level in web development, but it's been boring me recently. I know I'm good at it, but I wish I had something that let me use a little more creativity, y'know? I'm looking at game development but that field is remarkably hard to break into.

Oh, and I'm actually in college again; I got a diploma from the local community college and I'm now at the local university going after a degree as well. Even so, at the moment I'm looking for another part time development job.

Thanks guys, any more advice would be appreciated.

insofar,

How's your relationship with your supervisor? If it's good, you shouldn't hesitate telling him/her that you feel you've learned all you can from your current level of responsibility. Come up with some ideas you have about what other areas you can contribute to in the company or new projects that may have come to mind. Companies LOVE self-starters, and you'll prove your value by being pro-active. If your supervisor tries to hold you down or dismisses your ideas, then you may actually want to consider switching companies.

An ex-boyfriend of mine is a software engineer, and he self-taught himself 7 different computer languages and is now quite successful in his field.

Archived