You make the call...justifiable violence or not?

Entropy Smith

To sum up some of the main aspects of this thread:

He brought the heel of his foot down on the dogs head. It was probably a bit stunned but not seriously hurt.

He feels badly about it and he wouldn't do it again.

Perhaps the dog owners learned a valuable lesson and they will be keeping their dogs on leashes which might prevent a serious incident from occurring, such as a dog attacking someone or even accidently injuring a small child.

I would still like to know the circumstances surrounding the way the dog "approached" the OP...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to leave the thread alone but since you put me in such a nice light manny...

...to be honest the dog approached me...was it growling and showing its teeth...no...was it sprinting towards me like i was dinner...no...it just approached me at a uptempo pace...by the way the cop told me the dog people told him the dog is now home and not at the vets. The cops said all dogs have ot be on a leash that aren't in the "dog run" at all times...it turns out this has been a big issue with the local community board for a long time and to my surprise alot of people were supporting me...so now i feel much better.

But it turns out the dog was supposed to be on a leash. So the owner has to take some responsibility. Like i said earlier the dog people in a sense are bullies.

For part 2 of your post i have no answer for except I won't do it again. I do have a mean streak. Just got to keep it in check for when its needed legitimatley.

You do know all dogs have instinctual "prey drives" and even the best trained can revert back to it if the context triggers it...thats what the cop said to me and he claimed to have done k-9 duty in the military.

Not sure how this comes into the debate Entropy. Whether or not this dog will ever attack its owner one day is not really on topic with this because the dog wasn't attacking you or showing any signs of aggression on the day in question.

I think the owners have learned their lesson about keeping the dog leashed, but I gotta say, if people have been really THIS concerned aobut unleashed dogs it could have been addressed without a dog being wounded in this manner. This is why I loathe complacency.

The people in that area who didn't like the unleashed dogs can also blame themselves because it should not have taken this tragedy for the police or the members of the community to take action.

I have very well behaved dogs but keep them leashed because other dogs may not be well behaved and it would be easier for me to retrieve my smaller ones if some unleashed dog were to come out of nowhere. But the punishment should always fit the crime and in this case it did not.

You said you have a meanstreak so hopefully you will address that.

I'm a vet tech, and I agree that having your dog off leash is a bit aggrevating and completely irresponsible and inconsiderate. But if someone ever EVER kicked or hit my dog when he wasn't even showing any signs of aggression, I would kick them right back!

I think you need to apologize at the very least for overreacting. Maybe you will get an apology for the dog being off leash in the first place.

Violence against any animal is completely unacceptable,and in my opinion, one of the worst things a human being can do.

My opinion, not justifiable. Did the dog bite you or become mean?

I'm a real dog lover, so you are asking the wrong person here. Dogs do go to the park. Perhaps you should avoid the park.

I understand flaming will not be tolerated, but my answer to the OPs question would be yes to a-hole and not justifiable. Just answering the question, right?

I'm severely allergic to cats, but I'm realistic enough to accept them in my world without stomping on them. It makes no sense to attack an innocent animal for no reason at all. I'd call this senseless violence.

As far as a Shepard being bred to be violent, they don't hold a candle to what cruelties humans inflict on each other, or in this case an innocent dog whose only offense is dispersing dander.

Violent people always have a ready excuse, but choose to act out.

Entropy,

I'd appreciate it if you answer te following question as honestly as you can. If not for us, then for yourself. Ok?

Think back to when the dog ws approaching you. How did you feel?

Scared? Or angry? How about just plain annoyed? Something else?

How about after you kicked the dog and saw it laying there on the ground?

Relief? (That you fended off an attack). Or guilt that you lost your temper? Or concern for yourself? (that you would get in trouble). Or genuine concern for the dog and how hurt it might be? Or maybe a sort of perverse satisfaction? (that you taught someone a lesson).

If a german shepard came up to me in the dark I would freak.

A german shepard should never be off the chain. Thats ridiculous. I am a dog lover. I keep black labs. Fighting dogs should never be off the chain. People don't fully realise the damage these animals can do.

No you should not have kicked it but I cannot see that you don't have a defense.

German shepard, in the dark, I'd be scared too.

The idea that german shepard is helpless against an unarmed man is silly.

A German Shepherd is a WORKING DOG not a FIGHTING DOG. They were developed from herding dogs (one of the smartest dogbreeds on the planet). Are you confusing them with an American Pit Bull Terrier??????

Any dog has the ability to be dangerous. A shepherd is no more a risk than any other large breed. The thing here is the owners had the dog off leash, that gives one a somewhat good idea that they knew it was tame. Shepherds are VERY smart and the owners most likely had this dog properly trained which is why the felt comfortable with it offleash. I don't agree with the dog being unleashed, but I think that is why it was offleash.

The dog suffered considerably because of a very bad reaction by the OP and irresponsible owners.

If a german shepard came up to me in the dark I would freak.

A german shepard should never be off the chain. Thats ridiculous. I am a dog lover. I keep black labs. Fighting dogs should never be off the chain. People don't fully realise the damage these animals can do.

No you should not have kicked it but I cannot see that you don't have a defense.

German shepard, in the dark, I'd be scared too.

The idea that german shepard is helpless against an unarmed man is silly.

A German Shepherd is a WORKING DOG not a FIGHTING DOG. They were developed from herding dogs (one of the smartest dogbreeds on the planet). Are you confusing them with an American Pit Bull Terrier??????

Even then, pit bulls get a bad wrap. People TEACH them to fight. A Pit Bull does not come out of its mother's womb wanting to kill. They have to be made mean. They can be the sweetest and most loving dogs, but people have made them in to terrible animals.

Pit bulls were bred to play blood sports fighting bulls. But then so were Bull Dogs, Mastiffs, and many other breeds. But too many people still use Pit Bulls illegally and its making a bad name for the breed.

Even then, pit bulls get a bad wrap. People TEACH them to fight. A Pit Bull does not come out of its mother's womb wanting to kill. They have to be made mean. They can be the sweetest and most loving dogs, but people have made them in to terrible animals.

Pit bulls were bred to play blood sports fighting bulls. But then so were Bull Dogs, Mastiffs, and many other breeds. But too many people still use Pit Bulls illegally and its making a bad name for the breed.

If only people knew what a "pitbull" really is.

Man, I know you're getting a lot of flack here... but just to add to it... whether I broke a leash law or not... if my dog approached somebody nonthreateningly and they drove their heel into his head they'd better start running.

Maybe you should look into anger management or something? What if a stranger approached you when you were having a bad day and you axe kicked them in the head?

My lord.. its a dog. I love my dog.. but its a dog if someone kicks him its not going to be the end of the world ! that person not bad either, they're just a person who kicked a dog ! They might be cute but they're jsut another animal we humans torture and kill daily.

So torture and kill some dogs and see how the police and your neighbors respond.

Archived