getting rid of Stretch Marks

brooke617

I was wondering if anyone has had stretch marks during pregnancy and did anything about them to remove them. I am just about 9 months pregnant and have stretch marks on my breasts, my stomach, and my hips. Its so annoying. I dread so much wearing a bikini after I get back to my pre-pregnacy weight. Has anyone heard of a cream called retin-a. I heard it works but I know that there has to be something wrong with it. I was planning on breast-feeding but I will go to bottle feeding if I need to in order to use retin-a. Has anyone had any sucess with getting rid of stretch marks or knows anyone. THanks so much....................

Retinol creams help rebuild collagen but can be harsh and drying. If I were you I'd get some good quality Vitamin E cream and use that, or you can get special oils/creams which specifically target scarring and stretchmarks. You have to be religious about applying it though!

You will never get rid of stretch marks they are there to stay! As heartbreaking as that is (I Have a road map on my stomach and thighs from my pregnancy)

They will eventually fade over time though so thats the good news and there are a few creams out there that help lighten them up.

You will never get rid of stretch marks they are there to stay! As heartbreaking as that is (I Have a road map on my stomach and thighs from my pregnancy)

They will eventually fade over time though so thats the good news and there are a few creams out there that help lighten them up.

I'm afraid that's what I've consistently read over and over, too. I am six months pregnant and don't have stretch marks *yet* but am bracing myself for them.

Speaking of which, when do they usually show up?

Yes.....Sigh!! Just as MS mentioned stretch marks are there to stay. There are many lotions (Cocoa Butter) and potions (Strivectin) out there that claim they make them go away. Im not sure anything works. They do fade with time but they will still be visible unfortunately.

Actually the only surefire way to make them disappear is to have plastic surgery and/or laser therapy.

I got my stretch marks around 8 1/2 months. THey also just popped up out of nowhere. My sister didn't get any stretch marks so I was hoping that I would be as lucky as her. Apparently not! SO, there isnt' much that I can do. Is there anything I can use while pregnant. I am going to see my doctor in about week. But in the meantime any recommendations? I am like so devestated. I cry everytime I look at them. ITs horrible!!!

Try and keep the area as "moist" as possible...

My mum applied Palmer's cocoa butter on her belly twice a day every day once she started showing and she hasn't got any strechmarks!

Also, massaging the skin will increase it's elasticity

I have also heard that nothing actually helps - you're either pre-programmed to get them, or get them a certain way, or you are not. Skin thickness, genetics and all that. I, unfortunately, have been programmed to get them.

My friend bought me some Palmers body oil but I am not brave to use it because I have also seen a fair amount of stuff on the internet about terrible rashes women have gotten, which their doctors have attributed to pregnancy reactions to the products they have used to minimise the stretch marks.

Like the others have mentioned, there are not supposed to be any creams, lotions, oils, etc. that can prevent stretchmarks or get rid of them. That's because the skin breaks on a deeper layer of your skin that can be penetrated. However, drinking lots of water is supposed to help prevent them, since it is the only way to keep those deep layers hydrated.

My friend bought me some Palmers body oil but I am not brave to use it because I have also seen a fair amount of stuff on the internet about terrible rashes women have gotten, which their doctors have attributed to pregnancy reactions to the products they have used to minimise the stretch marks.

I essentially cover myself in that cocoa butter oil every day. So far, no stretch marks- but my mom never had them either so it's probably due to genetics and not the oil. The cocoa butter oil does make your skin feel very nice though. It's always wise to test a new product on a small patch of skin before you use it though- especially if you tend to have sensitive skin.

To the original poster- you mentioned Retin-A. That's a prescription given by a dermatologist for acne. I do not think it would have any effect on stretch marks, especially since it dries out the skin. If you ever use Retin-A for any reason- do not go in the sun with it on- it can cause bad side effects.

I would echo the sentiment about cocoa butter. I had burned myself badly with coffee once, and whereas a burn isn't nearly the same as pregnancy stretch marks, judicious and liberal use of cocoa butter allowed me to heal without any scarring at all. Plus, it's cheap and smells nice.

Vitamin E Capsules broken open and then spread on scarring will lighten them. Not a cream, not some special mix... good old fasioned Vitamin E gel capsules.

That's true. I used the Vitamin E capsules on the scars I had after I had my appendix out and the scars are not even visable anymore. I will definitely be using it on my c-section scar.

SO, then using the palmers cocoa butter while pregnant is fine. Like it wont have any effect on the baby will it? I know retin-a does if used while pregnant. But do you know if the Palmers cocoa butter for stretch marks is safe to use while pregnant?

Archived