How long does it take?

Adriana7

There is no set time. It will hurt, especially if it wasn't your choice to end it. It will be hard to adapt to life without your partner, and it's OK to feel crappy for a while.

You can shorten the time for healing though. Focus on you. Reconnect with friends. Force yourself to get out and do things. Fill the extra time with work and play, and you'll start feeling better slowly. Good luck.

There's no right time frame. But I do know from experience, one day you will cry over it, and it will be the last time you cry over it. I know it's cliche, but it really does take time. I remember going through a break up and thinking i know I'm going to get over this, i just don't know when or how. All you can do is surround yourself with people who make your life joyful and try and focus on yourself.

To get over a breakup if it lasted over five years?

For me, more than 3 months, which is where I am at. I don't know how long this is going to take. I still have unresolved feelings. But every situation is different. I tend to think my grieving process regarding the X was stalled for a month by a death in the family. After dealing with the immediate fall out from that, I seem to be back where I was 5 weeks ago - but I do them on alternate days now.

Since you have kids in common, there will be contact. It's up to you to accept that this contact is strictly for the kids and his role as their father. He can be an involved father and be there for them and now that he has moved out and moved on you can focus on co-parenting, being a great mom and when ready start dating again.

Hey girl I came out of a 6 year relationship just over a year ago now. It was the worst pain of my life and I wondered if I’d ever get through it. Amazingly I can say now that I no longer cry about it, I’m nearly in a space to start dating again and that is crazy to me considering how I felt a year ago. All I can say to you is ride the wave, feel every emotion that comes up, anger, fear, pain,despair all of it, feel it ride through it and eventually it begins to ache less. I still think about him sure, but not in the way I used to. It’s a removed sort of feeling now. No contact is key. You’ll be alright - look after yourself, love yourself, you’ve got this xx

I don't know at this point. I have been married for almost 12 years, (May 6th SB our 12th anniversary) things have gone south so fast and we are thinking about divorce. I have been rewiring myself to see him as a stranger and no longer cara about where he goes and what he does. We have 9 year old together and it makes it hard sometimes to cut all ties and communication. I hope I can get over this sadness and uncertainty as soon as I can but I have to admit it is difficult.

Archived