Smear test

I am 32 and never had a smear test or any other kind of std tests. For some reason I just can’t bring myself to book an appointment and get it done. But now I’m getting older I have been thinking I should maybe consider having the test and maybe some other tests but I have know idea who to book it with, would it be my doctor or nurse? What do I ask for if I rang up to book the appointment? I think I’ve never had it done because I don’t like the idea of having to sit there, legs spread and having someone poking around up there.

Nobody likes going to the Doctor, but they can add years onto your life!

You should first schedule an appointment with a General Practitioner (GP)/Family Doctor to have a full physical with complete blood work.

He/she will then refer you to a OB/GYN.

PS, be certain to only see a Doctor! Nurse Practitioners are not Doctors!

Where I am the dr or competent nurse does the exam. It doesn’t take long at all. If the dr is male a female will always be present. The cells are then sent off to the lab and you get your results. Here the dr’s office and the province give you the results.

A few minutes of emotional discomfort vrs possible death or disease. At 32 you are loooooooooong past the age of needing an exam. You could have problems now and not know it.

I did one by mail many years ago for a new partner. Otherwise I went to my doctor and it was part of my annual checkup. I wasn't concerned I had one and I thought since i was active I should do preventative care and have the information. I started annual gyno exams whenever I was supposed to, many years ago.

Pap smears are one of those physicals that must be done and you have to get over. They are uncomfortable, but they need to be done every 3 years. And if you are thinking about having kids you need to have one before getting pregnant (especially if you have an oppsie). They screen for cervical cancer, which is one one of the top cancers that kills women if left uncheck. And definitely get the vaccine for it. Paps also screen for HPV which can cause cervical cancer.

You go to a gynecologist to get a pap.

Pap smears are one of those physicals that must be done and you have to get over. They are uncomfortable, but they need to be done every 3 years. And if you are thinking about having kids you need to have one before getting pregnant (especially if you have an oppsie). They screen for cervical cancer, which is one one of the top cancers that kills women if left uncheck. And definitely get the vaccine for it. Paps also screen for HPV which can cause cervical cancer.

You go to a gynecologist to get a pap.

I think it varies how often you're supposed to get a pap -used to be annual even if the results were normal. They are uncomfortable and over really quickly. The vaccine wasn't available to me and here it depends on age I believe. From what I read only certain strains of HPV can lead to cervical cancer. I know in the next couple of years we'll have to decide whether our son should be vaccinated. Sigh. I did get various tests before trying to conceive but more because I was concerned about fertility. There was no requirement or recommendation to get a pap before trying to get pregnant -just got one for my annual.

On the pregnancy thing -if you are thinking of having kids it's much better to get used to gyno exams now because once you're pregnant you may need more of those kinds of tests (Ultrasounds of course are non-invasive but a vaginal one which is typically performed might be slightly).

Archived