What do guys like to hear after a first date/outing?

DaisyMayPorter

I wanted to text a guy I went out with last night (just dinner, drinks, conversation and football) to tell him I had a nice time (and I'd like to see him again). What kinds of things do guys like to hear?

So when I was dating (pre-texting but for the last 5-8 years of it I had email and instant messaging - what I found men appreciated -men are people - was to hear a gracious and appreciative thank you while on the date, and to hear an enthusiastic response if another date was planned. To me following up with a text or email is good if you want to make sure the person knows that you are highly interested and eager to be asked out again and that you are waiting breathlessly to hear from him. I don't find that a good look. If he already made a plan to see you again, time and place, then you can text closer to the time if you like to confirm the plan. Or if you want to ask him out, do that but without the transparent thank-you text since you should have said thank you -and meant it-on the date.

I made a few exceptions where there was an odd situation -in one case his car broke down and we waited for help so I followed up to make sure he was ok or something similar. once in awhile the man would ask me to call when I got home safely. that did not mean he wanted to ask me out again. I always did of course.

So when I was dating (pre-texting but for the last 5-8 years of it I had email and instant messaging - what I found men appreciated -men are people - was to hear a gracious and appreciative thank you while on the date, and to hear an enthusiastic response if another date was planned. To me following up with a text or email is good if you want to make sure the person knows that you are highly interested and eager to be asked out again and that you are waiting breathlessly to hear from him. I don't find that a good look. If he already made a plan to see you again, time and place, then you can text closer to the time if you like to confirm the plan. Or if you want to ask him out, do that but without the transparent thank-you text since you should have said thank you -and meant it-on the date.

I made a few exceptions where there was an odd situation -in one case his car broke down and we waited for help so I followed up to make sure he was ok or something similar. once in awhile the man would ask me to call when I got home safely. that did not mean he wanted to ask me out again. I always did of course.

Well we did talk about maybe getting together later this week, and I was enthusiastic. He also joked about taking me on a trip to which I also was enthusiastic, so I think after that and me texting I had a good time, he knows I'm interested. :-)

Be yourself and friendly, and don't overthink it. A guy wrote me today that I haven't heard from in a month that he chose someone else because she asked him out for second date- that is what he is looking for- o be chased I guess. The guy before that said I was too assertive and expected too much out of him because I wanted to know where we stood after 6 dates. There's no telling. Be yourself

Be yourself and friendly, and don't overthink it. A guy wrote me today that I haven't heard from in a month that he chose someone else because she asked him out for second date- that is what he is looking for- o be chased I guess. The guy before that said I was too assertive and expected too much out of him because I wanted to know where we stood after 6 dates. There's no telling. Be yourself

Jeez! I guess you just never know what could happen and it sounds like every guy is different, so like you said, it’s best to just be yourself! This guy that I’m on about I’ve been friends with for awhile, and I’ve been sort of testing the waters with him a bit and have been trying to let him lead the way but then also be enthusiastic. It’s hard!

Jeez! I guess you just never know what could happen and it sounds like every guy is different, so like you said, it’s best to just be yourself! This guy that I’m on about I’ve been friends with for awhile, and I’ve been sort of testing the waters with him a bit and have been trying to let him lead the way but then also be enthusiastic. It’s hard!

Be enthusiastic by showing interest while with him on the date, including showing appreciation if he treats you or made the plan for the two of you, whatever. Be yourself and recognize that if you're really into him being yourself might be difficult because you want to go faster than would make sense. And you might be feeling insecure -i.e. not really yourself.

Thank you Batya. I think I definitely was enthusiastic on the date. He was joking about taking me on a work trip he might be going on to a warm climate in a few months and I showed him I was very excited about that, even if it was just a joke. And we were laughing and talking nonstop throughout the whole time. And gosh I hope I said thank you when he paid, I can’t remember- eek! He called me a goofball a couple times when we were leaving, so I think my Enthusiasm and interest shown through. We were texting on Monday night and all day Tuesday so hopefully that’s a good sign!

Thank you Batya. I think I definitely was enthusiastic on the date. He was joking about taking me on a work trip he might be going on to a warm climate in a few months and I showed him I was very excited about that, even if it was just a joke. And we were laughing and talking nonstop throughout the whole time. And gosh I hope I said thank you when he paid, I can’t remember- eek! He called me a goofball a couple times when we were leaving, so I think my Enthusiasm and interest shown through. We were texting on Monday night and all day Tuesday so hopefully that’s a good sign!

Yes! The only relevant sign as far as interest in dating is whether he's made a plan to see you again, time and place. If he hasn't assume there is no next date and that's ok. I would not text with him a lot unless you have a date planned -that is really being too available to him and giving him the privilege of your attention without him having to put in the effort to plan a date. Or you plan the next date and then limit the texting and get to know him in person.

and giving him the privilege of your attention without him having to put in the effort to plan a date.

Good point! Well we had tentative plans for tonight but they were up in the air (he is at a conference and has a work event tonight and he mentioned a few days ago about maybe meeting after for drinks) So I will text him to see if that is still happening, I suppose. Although I'm way to nervous to do that for some reason!

Archived