Does he like me and is he too young for me?

eyyo

So I'm a gay high school student and I'm absolutely hopeless when it comes to knowing about relationships, because I come from a relatively small school with not many gay guys so I have absolutely no experience. I'm 90% certain the guy I like is gay, as basically all the signs are there (older brothers, changes subject quickly when talking about dating girls, part of our music dept, many mannerisms, etc) and a couple other gay guys have also mentioned that they think he's gay. But I have absolutely no idea whether or not he likes me back. Some things that have led me to believe he might:

-I've caught him looking at me many times during class (however, he sits directly across from me so he might just be staring off, although he does look away quickly when I see him)

-He seems to enjoy talking to me and tries to make me laugh

-He smiles a lot when talking to me, more than I've noticed him smile around his closer friends

-When we're with a group of people, he tends to look directly at me when he's speaking

-The other day he basically turned his back towards his close friends and talked to me instead for a solid 30 minutes, and only stopped because we had to leave

-Seems to find ways to work various hidden questions into conversations (things like when my birthday is, about my family, just things that most guys, gay or straight, never ask me)

As I personally suspect that he does have feelings for me, I'm also worried about our age differences. I'm a senior and he's a freshman, which means that I just turned 18 and he is a couple of months away from his 15th birthday. Maturity wise, he's really mature for his age (more like a sophomore or junior) and I'm slightly immature (more like a junior). I understand that just under 4 years age difference isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm just concerned that it's too much for high schoolers, as my parents and many of my friends believe that you shouldn't date more than one year apart in high school. And quick note, although I have absolutely no intention of having sexual relations with him or any potential partner for quite some time, the legal age of consent in my area would allow this relationship relatively soon.

So yeah, there's the facts. So am I too old for him? And more importantly, is there even a chance that he likes me??

Well, I think he's too young for you. He's not come out yet and three years maturity is a big gap. He may be confused at this point. Just keep on talking to him and be his friend. Answer his questions if he has any and just play it cool. Maybe you can introduce him to your other friends, but be nice to him.

Archived