Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

A question about threads being closed.

Perrin83

I've noticed a number of threads in the Sex and Romance section being closed because they don't contain a question pertaining to a relationship.

How much discretion is exercised by the moderators in closing these threads?

It seems like, to me, a lot of these questions, while not pertaining to a specific relationship, are referring to either some or all of a persons previous relationships.

It doesn't really help a person to only be able to get advice when they're in a relationship, especially if their relationships are extremely brief due to the thing they're trying to get advice on.

Thoughts?

yeah there was one just last night-- i was kind of surprised to see it closed, it didn't look like the op was about to start a debate on sex just for the sake of it. it sounded like a question about the ways people experience it, intended for op to determine whether there was cause for concern re their experience of sexuality. that's how it read to me anyway.

i agree, you don't have to currently be in a relationship, or even currently be sexually active, and to wonder about a specific sexual issue in a relationship to have a legit sex related question.

perhaps it was considered the posts should be formulated differently, or belonged to a different subforum.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right at all... usually that forum is totally open-ended to sex questions, unless the "rules" recently changed. ENA has been very lax on that kind of stuff thought compared to other forums. Maybe a specific mod is abusing their power?

nah. some of the most sensible mods on the web we have. it's possible those threads have derailed more frequently lately, or there was something regarding the form of the post that made it appear inappropriate. if you take a sex question out of the larger context, it can easily seem like a debate regarding sex for the sake of itself.

Archived