Medication before confirmed diagnosis?

Do/should doctors give medication for an STD before test results come back positive? I know sometimes just looking at something makes a doctor think maybe you have a particular disease/issue, but without the results of a test, it can be something different right? (That's unrelated to the medicine prescribed?) I go back for my results in 2 days and I'm a little freaked out that the doctor already prescribed medication.

What is the prescribed medicine for? What did the doctor say?

Generally though, yes. The doctor could feel reasonably certain of the diagnosis based on your symptoms or on some quick tests that can be done in the office (looking at samples under a microscope for example, can be enough to diagnose yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis - not that those are STIs) and decide to prescribe medicine right away so that you get better ASAP, but could want to get definitive testing to confirm the diagnosis. Your test results will either confirm the doctor's diagnosis or not. If your results don't agree with the original diagnosis, then the doctor will prescribe a different kind of medication for you.

Yes given certain symptoms you can be diagnosed without tests. Tests in that case serve more like a confirmation of the diagnosis already made. Kind of like 99% certain you have X, test results make that 100%. If the doctor already prescribed meds, he is pretty certain of the diagnosis and that you have whatever it is you have and ought to be taking the meds asap.

What is the prescribed medicine for? What did the doctor say?

Generally though, yes. The doctor could feel reasonably certain of the diagnosis based on your symptoms or on some quick tests that can be done in the office (looking at samples under a microscope for example, can be enough to diagnose yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis - not that those are STIs) and decide to prescribe medicine right away so that you get better ASAP, but could want to get definitive testing to confirm the diagnosis. Your test results will either confirm the doctor's diagnosis or not. If your results don't agree with the original diagnosis, then the doctor will prescribe a different kind of medication for you.

He said he's not saying that I have the STD, but that if the tests come back positive we'll be ahead of it already. The medication is for herpes.

Yes given certain symptoms you can be diagnosed without tests. Tests in that case serve more like a confirmation of the diagnosis already made. Kind of like 99% certain you have X, test results make that 100%. If the doctor already prescribed meds, he is pretty certain of the diagnosis and that you have whatever it is you have and ought to be taking the meds asap.

That's what I thought, but I have been dealing with the issue for 5-6 months and thought it was an ingrown hair/infection (from shaving) situation. To my knowledge herpes outbreaks are more of a 1-2 month deal (if even that long or if a person even gets outbreaks at all).

This is pretty standard. Empiric therapy is therapy based on experience and more specifically therapy begun on the basis of a clinical educated guess in the absence of complete or perfect information. This happens in ERs continually.

Treating stds asap is empirical treatment because lab tests can take time. The benefits outweigh the risks of delaying treatment because should the results come back negative, you simply discontinue treatment.

Do/should doctors give medication for an STD before test results come back positive? I'm a little freaked out that the doctor already prescribed medication.
This is pretty standard. Empiric therapy is therapy based on experience and more specifically therapy begun on the basis of a clinical educated guess in the absence of complete or perfect information. This happens in ERs continually.

Treating stds asap is empirical treatment because lab tests can take time. The benefits outweigh the risks of delaying treatment because should the results come back negative, you simply discontinue treatment.

Thanks so much for your insight. That's true, if I did start medication and have the negative result I'm praying for, it wouldn't hurt me if I took any medication before knowing for sure.

That's what I thought, but I have been dealing with the issue for 5-6 months and thought it was an ingrown hair/infection (from shaving) situation. To my knowledge herpes outbreaks are more of a 1-2 month deal (if even that long or if a person even gets outbreaks at all).

Actually there are no rules on that. It depends on your individual body chemistry and immune system. Some people may never ever have an outbreak and never even know they have it, others might have long problems with it, while others short intermittent problems that go away quickly. If this situation has been going this long and the Dr is pretty certain about what he is seeing, he is right to be concerned and put you on meds as quickly as possible.

Actually there are no rules on that. It depends on your individual body chemistry and immune system. Some people may never ever have an outbreak and never even know they have it, others might have long problems with it, while others short intermittent problems that go away quickly. If this situation has been going this long and the Dr is pretty certain about what he is seeing, he is right to be concerned and put you on meds as quickly as possible.

You're right, I guess that's why I'm nervous because everyone's body is different. I was just confused by him saying "I'm not saying you have it" but then prescribing medicine. But I think maybe wiseman explained how that can happen. I'm just really afraid right now, but at least I'll know for sure rather than not get tested.

Yes medication is commonly prescribed before test results under different circumstances.

1. Emergency cases such as possible HIV transmission after sexual assault etc. This is prophylactic treatment where the first 72 hours are very important.

2. Situations where your symptoms fit in some descriptions of STD but you are in the window period - that is, you have had recent transmission and although you have the virus, your are in your window period. That is, your body has not built enough antibodies for you to test positive in certain tests yet. Doctors may nevertheless give the test as bodies differ but may also prescribe something to start a more or less general course of treatment immediately, also to give you some relief from painful symptoms.

3. In herpes, if you have visible sores, most doctors can recognize them pretty easily. Less visible sores, lesions that look like tiny papercuts etc may require a culture as they may be symptoms of another STD. Sometimes a test is not even needed, it is clearly herpes but procedures may require the test. In some countries, herpes may not be included in routine STD tests and some facilities may have to send blood samples to other places, which means test results will take a while. In this case, antivirals can be prescribed to prevent an outbreak without causing much pain to the patient. Sooner is better. Herpes meds have only superficial side effects, that is they don't cause big damage on the body so they are prescribed more or less comfortably by doctors and sometimes there may be no need for a second visit - treatment is pretty typical.

Herpes medication does not cure the disease, that is the virus remains in the body. It is used to repress the virus depending on the severity of the outbreaks and frequency of sexual contact - to reduce risk of transmission. Many doctors and people experiment with medication and no medication as well (depending on the effect of outbreaks on their lives, some may never get it and some may get it every day basically), it is not one of those things where you have to be put on medication immediately - if you are not having an outbreak. Your doctor would probably discuss options with you. Informing yourself on medication options before your appointment may help you decide what is best for you.

I appreciate all of your advice and am happy to write that I am both HSV-1 and HSV-2 negative. The medication prescribed actually has other uses I wasn't aware of and at the time I was frightened, but my doctor was able to explain things after the results.

That's great news. I wish you had understood what the medication was for beforehand so that you didn't have to spend all that time being worried. I don't know if the doctor didn't explain things clearly or if it was a misunderstanding, but next time make sure to ask all the questions you need to so that you're not left in the dark and fretting. Hopefully you have a doctor who is willing to spend enough time with his patients.

Archived