Is my male friend into me?

Flaxom

Hi all, need some input. Have been in a lesbian relationship for 6+ years and am very happy. Am currently living away from home and my partner has had to go home while waiting on visa stuff. I love my partner very much want to be with her but have this boggling feeling that on of my friends likes me. He has just come out of a very long relationship with a girl he was engaged to but he cheated on her. Despite knowing this, we have begun to get a little closer and I think he is actually a very nice guy who made a bad mistake. However I also have been noticing that my feelings for him are changing. I think about him most days and often imagine us getting It on- not sure if it's just a silly crush/fantasy. Anyways he txts me more than my other male friends and often asks little questions to keep the txtn goin. When we are together it is usually in a group but we seem to be more aware of each other than others. He makes me laugh a lot and I'm sure he notices. I also notice he remembers everything I say. I feel confident and attractive around him too which is not the super norm since most guys switch off when they hear I'm in a lesbian relationship . So the other day he and some friends of mine were going for brunch. We were all on slightly different schedules so I txt him to ask if he had left for the restaurant he said he was leaving in 5 but he would wait and we could walk together, we've never really hung out alone because I think we were both avoiding it. He txt me when he left (our places are about 10 mins walk from each other) and I was delayed and he replied with "don't worry I'll grab us some coffee". I thought this was super sweet and kind of felt like it was a mini date. It was nice that he just wanted to be nice to me. I get that sense off him all the time in the way he chats to me. We walked to the restaurant together and sat chatting and laughing and waiting for our other friends. The walk there was awkward in the fact that he listened intently to what I was blabbing on about and neither of us were leading the walk so every turn became a "should we go this way?" Type of scenario. Anyways we went to a friends bday later and there were some hot single girls there that he and another single friend were chatting to. I really tried to block it out of my peripheral and pretend I didn't care but noticed I felt cagey about it. I could feel him looking at me though and a few minutes later he came over to ask if I was having fun Nd put his hand on the back of my neck. He's definitely nervous and being very sweet. I just don't know What to do. Pretty sure he likes me and I like him but don't wanna do anything to up my current relationship and also I don't want him to lead him on because he is definitely hurt after his last relationship and prob a little vulnerable right now. Can we remain friends and just leave this part all unspoke about? Is it ok to have a crush and some friendship from him but not act on it? Is it even realistic? I just really like his company and he makes me feel good about myself. Thaaaaanks

Okay, in my opinion if you like him and he likes you, but you're happy with your girlfriend and don't want to mess it up, then you should severely limit your contact with this guy. His crush on you might be a rebound because he's vulnerable coming out of a relationship in which he made a huge mistake. He needs someone like you, who realizes he made a huge mistake and still accepts him for it, so he's leaning on you. You are leaning on him, equally vulnerable because your girlfriend is in another country right now and you're probably yearning for attention and affection, which you seem to be getting from him.

The attraction will only grow from here, and you'll likely, accidentally or not, end up in a room with him alone and suddenly making out (this has been my own real experience except I was already broken up with my ex-boyfriend by the time we ended up alone in a room making out). So, in short, I don't think it's possible to remain friends as you are now and not act on your attraction. It will happen eventually whether you want it to or not, as long as you keep spending so much time together and talking to each other so much.

Unless you are prepared to mess up your relationship with your girlfriend, I'd keep yourself at a safe distance from your crush until it fades out. If your crush doesn't fade out, then you should probably consider breaking up with your girlfriend.

Thanks! I needed that. You are right. My relationship with my girlfriend is too important. The only tricky thing is he is in my core group of friends here. So, not hanging out will be tricky especially since I want to be busy and around friends while my partner Is away. The other thing too is that I would be gutted and embarrassed if other people began to notice and I do feel like that could happen soon and I would hate for that to hurt my girlfriend.

I would say "yes" but then you're also giving him mixed signals. It might seem "just a crush" to you but he also seems very sweet and the kind to take things seriously, if he's into someone. Whilst you're in a relationship and he should respect that, you should too.... or don't you want to be with your GF anymore?

Anyway, I don't think it is realistic to have a crush on someone and hope to stay just friends (Though I did that years (25) ago... OMG he was gorgeous! Nothing ever happened, annoyingly, but I secretly hoped it would (Even though we'd fall asleep next to each other at parties, etc). We did stay friends, though lost touch and have just got back in touch again... a whole different scenario in that we're both madly in love but with different people).

But my answer would be to tread very carefully. You're playing with fire if you think you can be friends when:

1. You're already in a relationship

2. You have a mega crush on him

It could be a disaster if you do go off with this bloke and it all goes pear shaped...... OK, so now I'm waffling. Be careful.

Thanks! I needed that. You are right. My relationship with my girlfriend is too important. The only tricky thing is he is in my core group of friends here. So, not hanging out will be tricky especially since I want to be busy and around friends while my partner Is away. The other thing too is that I would be gutted and embarrassed if other people began to notice and I do feel like that could happen soon and I would hate for that to hurt my girlfriend.

I think you have a crush on him but he doesn't have one on you. You have to look after you and your relationship boundaries regardless of who does and who doesn't be crushing on whom. You can certainly enjoy one another's company while in groups but the little one-on-one times together and anything that looks like a one-on-one date like activity (coffee for instance) should be avoided. You are crushing and if you're primary relationship is important to you, then you'll do what YOU have to do to get to the stage of 'uncrushed' from him.

Google emotional affair and educate yourself before you get in too deep.

Archived