Getting back together really does happen...even after a LDR break up...?!!!

Destiny2112

Hey everyone,

as I have seen in the „getting back together“ forum, there is a thread called „getting back together really does happen“, a collection of getting back together stories... I know, no one should have false hopes, but whenever I read those reconciliation stories, it always makes me feel a little better and brings a smile to my face, since it makes me see, that TRUE love can find it's way back together...I know, it is rare, but not impossible....

I suppose, reconciliations after a LDR- break up do happen as well, but probably way less often then reconcilitions after a „normal“ break up...

I'm just curious to hear your success stories, or stories of people you know... maybe we can collect some success stories, to give the broken hearted among us, who were in a LDR, a little bit of hope and to cheer us up a little on a bad day.... ;-)

(Unfortunaly I don't have a success to tell, but for all of you who are interested, here is my own – not so happy- story:

Well, my ex and me were in a LDR for 3,5 years (the entire time), since we live in different countries, about 2,5 hours away by plane. We used to see each other every 6- 8 weeks, for about 3-7 days, the longest amount of time that we were physically together was for about 5 weeks. We were each others first true loves. I haven't felt like this with anybody else before, neither did my ex.

Anyways, he broke up with me beginning of August, to be with another girl (someone local). Beginning of October he moved to another country, due to his job and is having a LDR with his new gf again...

We really matched so very well together, I thought, I had found my soulmate, the one for me, I really thought, we would end up getting married and have children one day, we were talking about our future together quite often.

We never had any big fights or any serious issues, the only thing that would upset us was the distance and the fear of not making it...

All of you know, how hard a LDR is, how heartbreaking it is to have to say goodbye all the time, although you wished you could be together with someone you love so much, all the time, all you want is to fall asleep and wake up next to this person, every single day of the year... It was hard and I was suffering, but he was so worth it, the relationship was so worth it and the thought of living with him one day in the nearer future gave me the power and strength to keep it going, I loved him unconditionally... He tried to find a job in my country, but wasn't successful. Unfortunaly I need one more year to get my degree, then I would have moved to him, no matter where in the world that would be...so an end was in sight, finally...

He told me towards the end, he wasn't happy anymore, he felt lonely all the time, he needed my company and I was never there. He said, there is nothing wrong with me, if we lived together, we'd probably be married already, he was just to weak, the distance hurt him too much...

It really broke my heart and I'm still suffering from the loss, it hit me out of the blue...and it is so hard for me to move on from him....

Please share your stories!!!

i think that you loved this man immensely with everything that you had! thats such a wonderful thing and im sure it was a great love. his reasoning for calling it off seems to lie more in the other women then his "lonliness and weakness" would you really want someone who left you through a hardship in the future? what if something else attacked your relationship? would he walk away?

I was LDR also - 4 1/2 years together - only 9 months LDR (US/UK) a few reasons led to the break down which I take some responsibility for but it is always GIGS especially when she was in NY!

Reconciliation is hard anyway but LDR - I dont hold much hope personally - I have read some sucess stories though

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread.....I agree there are much fewer occurrences of reconciliation after a LDR breakup but they do happen, like in my case!

My guy had to leave to go back to his home country last November 2009 and thus began our LDR. We were literally halfway accross the world from each other. I had never been in a LDR of this magnitude before so it was hard on both of us. To summarize, I ended up breaking up with him in February and soon regretted my decision. In that time spent apart from him, I was literally the most depressed, miserable person any one could possibly meet. I felt horrible for hurting someone I loved but was too scared to contact him for some time because I was worried that he had met someone else and moved on with his life.

The pain came to a peak and swallowed my fears and contacted him.

Best decision of my life. He easily forgave me because he still loved me and we've been even happier than we were before because we are even more grateful to have each other.

It's been 13 months of LDR. I will see him in person in February!!! I'm also shopping for an engagement ring for him (in his home country men also get engagement rings)

But the bottom line is I've never been happier and I've certain that this man is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with. Oddly enough, breaking up has made our relationship even stronger. I'm just so grateful that he's such a compassionate loving person to so easily forgive me after the terrible mistake I made.

We both hope that we will soon be out of a LDR for good. We are both ready to move everything to another country as well if that means us being together.

I hope I see more success stories like mine!

Mine is also a success... well sort of....

My ex and I were in an LDR for 4 years. I'm away at college in another country, our relationship started 2 months before I left for college. We only get to see each other once a year and only for 2-3 weeks. We love each other so much and we knew LDR was going to be hard and we realized that it was going to be 5 years before we can have a local relationship. And as expected, the 1st 2 years were hard, I was miserable from missing him so much, but we kept going. Around the 3rd & 4th year of our relationship, we got in many arguments... One day he broke up with me over the phone. But it was a little weird because he already had a plane ticket to come visit me a month later (it was booked 5 months earlier). During the break up, he still maintained contact although less frequent. A month later, he was here and I didn't know what to expect. The moment I saw him again, it was as if we never broke up. He treated me the same way he has always treated me. I can tell from the way he looked at me and his smile that he's still in love with me. One night after we came back from a date, we were talking and he asked me if I wanted to resume our relationship. I said no. ^_^ A month later though, I changed my answer to yes over the phone and we resumed our relationship. We dated for 2 more months and we were talking about getting married next year... And somehow it scared me.... I love him, always have, but I was afraid I might be making a mistake. I told him this, and then we broke up again. I thought I deserved better, I was so arrogant. After stepping away from the relationship, I spent lots of time thinking, analyzing our relationship. Then I realized that he was good enough for me. He's patient, kind, slow to anger.

Now I'm hoping for us to get back together. We had NC for around 2 weeks, but now we keep in touch everyday. I'm hoping for a proposal actually, not just to get back together. I'll be graduating and going home soon.. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed... ^__^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This happened to me too. My gf and I broke up about 2 months ago during long distance...during that time we have seen each other twice, once cos she and her family were planning on coming to see me just before she broke it off, and we kept that, and second when I was going over to get my stuff..she says she still hopes we can be friends because we are so good together but right now times are difficult because we are both trying to get jobs in different countries. Anyway, we have been in contact around 4 times a week..which is pretty much considering the situation. Out of the blue, I have decided to cut this contact to at least once a week or fortnight. I want to get back together and I figure this is the best way to do it. Lately she has been calling me but I haven't answered and sometimes if she does catch me then I make an excuse and go, cutting it short.

I was wondering if, in all your stories with happy endings you went through this too?

Thanks

This happened to me too. My gf and I broke up about 2 months ago during long distance...during that time we have seen each other twice, once cos she and her family were planning on coming to see me just before she broke it off, and we kept that, and second when I was going over to get my stuff..she says she still hopes we can be friends because we are so good together but right now times are difficult because we are both trying to get jobs in different countries, and that someday things will work out. Anyway, we have been in contact around 4 times a week..which is pretty much considering the situation. Out of the blue, I have decided to cut this contact to at least once a week or fortnight. I want to get back together and I figure this is the best way to do it. Lately she has been calling me but I haven't answered and sometimes if she does catch me then I make an excuse and go, cutting it short.

I was wondering if, in all your stories with happy endings you went through this too?

Thanks

This happened to me aswell, how weird in a good way of course, I'm in a long distance relationship with my GF, for just about 5 years now, and currently in the UK, first 2 years was really hard for me, as I she was pregnant when I left, it was the hardest decision that I have to do, especially when I wasnt there when my daughter came out , anyway, getting back together in a LDR relationship do actually happen.. just last year, me and my gf went through something that was unexpected, we had a bit of misunderstanding and fell out, and I thought that she was cheating on me, but in the end she wasnt, but me being impulsive as I am, I took it wrong, and thought if she's gonna cheat on me anyway, I might cheat aswell, and sadly enough, I ended up cheating with some (local)girl that I met in college, which came a bit of a shock on her side, because , she didnt expect me to do that to her, especially just after a week that we fell out, and she cried and cried asking me to get back, and I pushed her away, I was blinded by my infatuation for this new girl, but what I admire about her, is that she waited for me and told she'd wait as long as she can, even though I told her that there's no chance that were not gonna get back together. after just a couple of weeks, of being with this new girl, I felt bad, and unhappy, and realised what I did was wrong, and you know the saying that "You never knew what you had, until its gone" that hit me all of sudden, after just 2 months of going out with this girl, I decided to end it, and I would just end up hurting this (local)girl, even more the longer that we stay together, having two girls cry wanting you at the same time, might be one of a "guys dreams" but it wasnt, I was torn at first because of the distance, but I have to make a deciesion, which is the best desicion that I've made. I'm now happy that I went back with my orginal GF even though we're still in an LDR right now, but am planning to move back to my home country next year and get married with her and settle down.

• 1 month later...

I hope I would be able to write here someday but...yes, now it seems almost impossible for him to come back to me on the other side of the globe. I read somewhere that reconciliation is more likely happen if BU happened for the reason of long distance. But I think it is one of the most difficult issues to be resolved.

But I would like to post one happy ending of a lady who married to her ex after 10 years of time apart. This lady went to Germany to work as a nurse and then got a PhD where she met her American boyfriend. She wanted to get married but he didn't. He wanted to stay single, living the life of a scholar. He eventually came back to his country to work as a professor. And she became a diplomat of her home country later. They exchanged only a couple of times a year, Christmas cards, sharing what major changes happened in their lives. Out of the blue, one day the man from the US flew to Germany to visit her. They reconnected and got married soon. They met 15 years ago for the first time, being apart more than a decade, and reunited again.

The point of the story is 'if it is meant to be, it will'. So we'd better stop trying to control things over which we have no control : our future. What we can do is to become the best we can be. I like that they both tried their best in their professional world.

Archived