Heartbroken and Sadden about my little kitty!

RoxyGril

About a month ago I had to put my cat to sleep because she got hurt pretty badly and for her to have surgery it was going to cost a lot. I didn't want to put her down but I knew that it was the best of her so that she didn't have to suffer with the pain that she was going through and that I didn't have a job and couldn't afford surgery or any further medical procedures for her. I had her for 3 1/2 yrs pretty much since she was a baby. It was the hardest decision I have really ever made.

So, about maybe week or so after I adopted a new kitten that was 3 months old. I have moved out of my mom's house and currently staying at my dad's house. So, I have taken her with me to stay there and as well as bringing her to my bf's house when I would stay the night. Well, this weekend I did bring her with me to my bf's house and he does have a larger dog that isn't really trained to be around other animal especially smaller ones (cats). We have been keeping them separte by keeping my cat in a room and the dog would roam through house and the backyard. When I wanted to let my cat out of the room I would put the dog in the garage for awhile which he did have access to the backyard. So we had managed it to work out for both animals to where they weren't placed in a room all day.

Well, I have been taking my cat in the backyard so that she would be able to get out and get some excerise. I would be sure that the dog was inside the house and would open a window so that I was able to pick up my cat and bring her outside. So, I left her with my bf last night because I went to pick up some bills at my mom's house and then I was going to head back to my dad's afterwards. I knew that my cat was in good hands and didn't have to worry about her getting hurt or anything. So I asked if it was ok if I left her at his house over night and pick her up after I got off work. He said that was find that there is a problem with that.

Anyways, I get a call around 7:45 last night from him that she jump out the window into the back yard and that she died. He had opened the window and put the blinds down so that she couldn't get out because she had went to the bathroom and it stunk up the bedroom so he wanted to air it out. Little did we know that she would jump out on her own because we had the window open before with the blinds down and it was never a problem. He didn't think anything would happen so he went into the living room and start do a water change on his reef fish tank. At the time his dog was there with him and went into the backyard and was out there for awhile. So, my bf was wondering where he was at so went back there and called him. His dog came but then went back out there again.

So, my bf got curious and went back there and found my cat in the backyard just cover in slobber. There was not cuts, wounds, or blood on her. So, I'm not sure what the dog did to her last night. It was a total accident and I don't blame my bf because what happened to her. There was just so much of both of us who just taking the risks. We were so careful on keeping them separted but obvisiously we push it to far. I'm not angry at my bf for what happen. My bf is in shocked, hurt, sadden, and realized how much he has grown to love her and how much happiness she did bring him. He is just angry about what his dog has done and wasn't training the dog to hurt or kill an animal.

It hurts me so much that I had just got this cat a month ago because I had just lost my cat before her and now I have lost her as well. It's so hard to deal with this because I am going through so many issues right now with my mom and wasn't expecting to lose me kitty. She was a baby and I am just glad that I did save animal by adopting her from the SPCA and that I was able to give her a home, love and care. I am glad to a bf who has let me and her stay at his home. Both of us knew the risks of that might happen but we thought that we were as careful as possible. It wasn't my bf's fault at all it was like a hugh freak accident to where both of us are wondering why and how? It's not fair because I wasn't ready to go through it all over again so very soon. :sad:

I was suppose to bring her back to my mom's house so that she would be able to play with a kitty that was from the same litter as she was. My mom doesn't know what happened yet. But, I don't know how to tell her what happened because I know that she doesn't like my bf and probably is going to blame it on him. Which this isn't his fault at all!!

aw, i'm so sorry

I know how hard it is to loss a pet.

I know it was an accident, and nobody should be blamed, but in the future I think it would be a good idea not to take such a risk. Even though you were both careful, it was a very dangerous environment for your kitty, and I don't think you should have taken that risk. I'm not trying to make you feel worse, but if you get another cat, I think you should be more aware of their surroundings to be safe.

I'm really sorry. It's very hard to lose a pet. When I was 8 years old I saw a dog kill my kitten - it was awful. I know it's really terrible.

That being said, I do agree with Snoopy that this was not a good environment for a cat to be in. I hope you will consider that before you get another kitty.

Im sorry too but next time be careful.

Pets are for life, and when you get them you should try and get pet insurance or insure than you can afford their vet bills if anything goes wrong. Thats part of pet ownership is being ready for the worst.

And with kittens research all you can, you have to close your toiletbowl even cos they can fall in and get hurt, no joke! My friend once had a dog who tried to kill her cat and it survived. I dont suggest getting another cat with a dog that cant be controlled.

Im sorry your hurting *hugs* Everyone makes mistakes and in NO WAY am i blaming you or your bf, no one could have known,

I had my two cats for eight years and they were brother and sister and both got run over within a space of a year. That broke my heart, we dont live near a big road or anything. Got three kitties now and they are such hard work.

So stay strong, chin up and Im sorry for your loss,.

PS. Chances are your dog didnt mean to hurt her. My exes dog once managed to run OVER the road, get into my house and get one of the kittens I was hand rearing out the box and in his mouth, luckily he was soft mouthed and he put the kitten back down. But like im saying. These things can happen.

aw, i'm so sorry

I know how hard it is to loss a pet.

I know it was an accident, and nobody should be blamed, but in the future I think it would be a good idea not to take such a risk. Even though you were both careful, it was a very dangerous environment for your kitty, and I don't think you should have taken that risk. I'm not trying to make you feel worse, but if you get another cat, I think you should be more aware of their surroundings to be safe.

I know that it was risk bringing her there. But, as careful as we thought we were something did happed and it was unplanned and uncalled for. We knew that and last night we went through the could've and should've situations but know that it did get pushed to far and the way it happen it crazy. I have lost 2 cats and a dog due to being hit by cars but never been by a dog especially a dog that I have been around for a year and 1/2. He is a really nice dog but I just think that he got to excited and wanted to play and thought she was like a toy. I am more aware of this situation now and was planning on going through it again especially not even losing my other cat a month ago that I have had for 3 1/2 yrs. It's just hard because now I have to heal all over again.

I am sorry for your loss. It is hard, but many dogs not raised around cats see them as intruders in their territory and will kill them if they catch them. Even a small dog can kill a small kitten, so you need to not bring any cats around a dog you know wasn't raised around cats to accept them, or a very gentle dog that loves everybody and everything.

A full grown cat might hold it's own against a dog, but the dog might get their eyes scratched out, so it is best to not bring a cat around your boyfriend's place again since you know it sees cats as intruders.

It is a sad lesson to learn but you will know in future that you can't have cats around your boyfriends house.

It's true because things happen unplanned and I do think he was thinking he wanted to play and probably shouk her well enough and it did kill her. It's just hard because she was so small and didn't have enough time to grow. However she managed to get herself out the window she was wanting to explore and be curious of what was outside. But little did anyone know that it was going to happen. Both of us have taken blame of obvisiously pushing it to the limit. But don't blame my bf at all for what his dog has done. It's apart of life and you learn from it. I know that my bf is taking really hard because just over the last 2 or 3 weeks that I have brought her over he was grown attached to her alot and I know that he does miss her.

We were laying bed last night and he told me there is something missing right now and I am going to miss her a lot. Right now the both of us are hurting but are going to get through this together and be more aware next time.

I know how you feel. I cried for weeks over one of my cats dying she was the sweetest thing and thinking of her dead was not nice.

Just stay strong, she probably didnt suffer it would have been quick. If you didnt see any wounds then it was probably a non painful death.

You know now. You gave her a good loving home and you tried your best thats all you can do. People make mistakes all the time.

Do you think you'll get another cat?

Dogs killing other animals is not always out of anger. My dog found the neighbors dog in our back yard one day. its one of those small lap dogs and it was dark out and i see him picking up something and tossing it accross the yard liek one of his toys....it was the neighbors dog and lucky i found the dog before my dog did any damage.he wasnt mad he was playing with it.

im sorry for your loss of kitten.sometimes things happen.thats one of the main reasons im afraid to get a dog right now(my other dog is at my parents house). my kitten is so little still and i feel if i leave the dog and kitten home, that something might happen...

Yeah definatley

Do you think you'd have her at your boyfriends again or just leave it?

Yeah have time to heal, rescue cats are great.

It's something that I would be to definitly decide on. I know that his dog hasn't been around other animals especially smaller ones. So, my bf hasn't really had a chance to get him into training so that he is able to be around other animals. This was really the first time that he has been around cat but same with other dogs. My bf has only brought him around a family dog that is staying with his parents. But, that isn't very often anyways that he is around this other dog.

Resuce cats are really amazing because each one has so many different personalities. I adopted my kitty that just past away and my mom has her sister so there was a litter of 5 and of course we took two of them. We got them of $25 at the SPCA. I was surprised on how much they were but you get twice the love though. But I would definitly adopted again just not at the moment though!

Yeah definatley give yourself time to get over this death. Its hard.

My first 2 cats were rescue cats,the sweetest things ever. Then we got a rescue kitten whose lovely and I started fostering kitten litters and rehoming them, rehomed like twenty cats to date and I love it.

I dont do it now, but i ended up hand rearing one kitten and keeping it and keeping another. So got three. My parents help me and love them.

Cats are fantastic. MAYBE before you get another cat get the dog into training?

Yeah absoloutley.

Well good luck with training.

Did you tell your mom yet?

Hope you feel better soon x

Thank You! I do hope the training does help a lot b/c we could use it!

I haven't told my mom yet and I not even sure if I am or how. My mom and I aren't really getting along right now. She kicked me how of the house because I stood up for myself, my bf and other reasons. She is just a negative person and she has pushed me away from them and has caused a lot of hurt in my life. Knowing that she doesn't like my bf she would blame it on him and start another problem. So, I'm not quite sure if I am ready to mention it to her or even how to say it if I do choose to.

I just feel so differently about his dog now obliviously due to what happened. I don't even pet him at all anymore and I view him differently. I don't hate all dogs but I don't know if I could ever really like this dog b/c of what he did. I'm not sure if I will like him the way I use to or even if I will accept him again. It may take awhile before anything happens again. So, we'll see what happens over time though.

Archived