Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Items in your 'carry on' bag?

capbit

I read in a recent article that about 10,000 laptops a week go missing in airports around the US. I have always had my laptop with me in my carry on, and I am unsure how so many people simply loose them. I usually have that, plus a camera and cell phone, plus other miscellaneous items with me when I board the plane, but I'm becoming more uneasy having my laptop with me when I travel. Not all the places I go give me easy access to a computer which is why I bring mine. Does anyone else carry expensive items with you when you travel, or do you leave them at home?

Source: link removed

Maybe they disappear when people put them in the overhead compartment away from where they are sitting, and others pick them up. They could go at security when they pass through the scanner but it's such a short process I'm not sure how they go missing.

I agree though, not sure how they can disappear if you are keeping an eye on them.

We always take these kinds of things with us, and never a problem, whether in the US or elsewhere.

Just a week ago I was traveling. I dont bring my lap top with me but i saw many people who did have theirs.

If you do bring it I would be very cautious. When you board, make sure that you put it in the overhead compartment directly above you, that way you can keep your eyes on it at all times.

Also, when you are waiting to board, dont leave it. For instance, if you had to go to the bathroom, take it with you.

Im sure it will be fine

I usually stow my bag underneath the seat in front of mine since they allow that as long as it fits, but I imagine most items go missing in the airport itself?

I think the only time I loose sight of my bag is when it goes through the x-ray machine. I don't want to be paranoid about it, but I don't want to be a statistic either.

I recommend carrying your valuables in something like a diaper bag.

That sounds like a good idea. But I'd probably be attracting even more attention to myself though.

TSA: "So umm, sir, where's your baby?"

Me: "Oh my god!"

I usually have my laptop in my backpack, since it's all that I bring on the plane. I'm pretty sure people can tell it's a laptop bag, I tried to find one that had the least resemblance to one but it's the only thing I have with enough protection for it. Maybe I need to be in the market for a new bag..

Well, I lost my laptop while flying!

I had it in a backpack, got onto the plane, backpack under the seat. Laptop came out of the bag as I was rummaging around in it, but was stashed under the seat. When we landed, I got off the plane, and it was about 5-10 minutes before I realized I didn't have my laptop. I couldn't go back (had to go through immigration), but I got someone to go search the plane immediately. Nothing. After immigration and customs went back to the gate where we landed, looked at the gate, got let onto the plane ... nothing. Called lost and found for a week straight to see if someone had turned it in ... nothing.

I'm fairly sure someone took it from under the seat while I was still on the plane. When I think about it, I always check under the seat to make sure I'd gotten everything - no way I would have missed the laptop if it was there.

Yes, my parents wanted to kill me. Being extra careful now! But seriously, I try to carry as few valuables as possible with me when traveling, but I'm more worried about when I get to the destination than in the airport. Your bags should be with you at all times - there are few opportunities for someone to take something. Never had anything stolen (except for the mysterious case of the missing laptop, and I'll admit I was a bit spacey about it) in an airport. Hotels are a different matter - I know of many many people who have had cash taken in hotels - as well as pickpockets on the streets.

I would be so angry if that had happened to me! I hope you backed up your data somewhere.

It's stories like this that make me want to skip packing in my laptop. I've thought of just taking my cell phone with me since it has wi-fi, so I could do almost everything I need to.

Does anyone else carry expensive items with you when you travel, or do you leave them at home?

I try not to take expensive items. I even change my watch to a cheapy (not cos I think it's going to get stolen but because I always end up leaving them in hotel rooms!!).

About the only expensive item I take on holidays is my camera and I take that as carry on.

Is it true they are really going to start charging for each piece of luggage you take on a plane now?

I hope so. I am sick of these people who take "carry on" to the limit and beyond. They slow loading, they slow disembarking and they generally remove the opportunity for everyone on the plane to use storage.

Yeah, some airlines (United, I know for sure) now charges for each checked item ($15-25 depending on the airline)

As far as I know, though, carry on policies will still be the same.

(I heard this on CNN-airport edition while flying a few weeks ago)

Don't even get me started on baggage check fees. I know some airlines don't charge you for your first checked in luggage, but American Airlines charges $15 for your first and another $25 for your second! It's just ridiculous. I would be happier if they just included the fee in your plane ticket.

I can picture it now, everyone stuffing their carry-on bags to avoid the fees.

I think if I don't take my laptop with me, I'll just bring my messenger bag on board. Much more simple.

nice.. i always bring my laptop with me to watch movies during the flight..

I put it under the seat in front of me when we're about to land/take off

and the opening of the bag is always facing me, i don't know how someone could steal it if they're in front or behind me, since its such a cramped up space, and it would be really obvious if they tried..

either way.. i guess next time i'll keep my eye on it..

Archived