Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what age does a man generally want to settle down?

QuestionHeart

Question At what age does a man generally want to settle down?

At what age does a man generally want to settle down?

IronLion85
    Well I can't speak for all men, but if I found the right person, I'd be willing to 'settle down' right now. I'm 21 by the way.

spinstermanquee
    I think this is a question for the psychologists out there... but in my experience, generally around the early 30s. Much sooner (like, early 20s) seems to not be a lasting experience. As I noted in one of the previous threads, I am in my 40s and not one of my friends/brothers/cousins etc is still with the same partner they took in their 20s...

However: I have seen many men who still try to be "playas" in their 40s and 50s so it really depends on the person in question.
    Last edited by spinstermanquee; 07-08-2007 at 05:24 AM. Reason: add detail

Slagar
    I think it really comes down to the character of each individual person.
    Like IronLion, I would do the same (I'm 22, but have felt this way for some time). But my family brought me up on quite old fashioned values, and I'm really not sure what the norm is.

Perhaps there are some statistics out there that could help in answering this question?

Ixtapa
    I think it really depends....each person has different goals and wants in life but I would say late 20s/early 30s.
    Still, I would rather get serious with someone who has "enjoyed" his youth and experienced a lot of things BEFORE settling down.

CharLit
    Gold Member
    Why are you asking, QH? What's you situation?

PocoDiablo
    I wanted to settle down at 21. Then after I dumped her, it was 23. Then the next woman ... never! And now, at 38, I'm thinking about it but I'm having way too much fun with my wife.

Answer: Who knows?

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    Asking that question shows that you probably don't interact with a lot of men as friends or even acquaintances or you would know there is no answer to that question. In general, a man is ready to be in a healthy marriage when he feels like he can contribute emotionally and financially to a marriage and when he find someone he wants to share his life with. Things like schooling, career changes, family situations, personal issues can impact when that time is. It's no different for a woman.

Dako
    If you're trying to apply statistical data to one man, you'll have a rough time. I don't think there's any one age. He may want marriage and change his mind. Sometimes a "settled down" guy can get restless and bail out.

Luckily I did the whole marriage bit as a young man, and now feel really settled down.
    Last edited by Dako; 07-08-2007 at 11:34 AM.

RayKay
    You can't really apply an age to that...while the average age of marriage for men is about 29 or 31 (I have seen both quoted - average age for women I have seen at both 25 and 27) that also means there are those whom married much younger, and much older.

Also, there is a difference between wanting and thinking you are ready to settle down and actually BEING ready for that commitment - I find this true of both men and women.There are many relationships where the partner is saying they are ready, and even making plans, but that turns around when they realize the importance of it maybe, or some other things that turn them off it.

Batya is quite right in that there are however many variables and individual charateristics that go into when someone is ready.

When I was 21 I was quite comfortable with idea of marriage, but now years later I look back at that and I have gone through so much growth that I do not see my 21 year old self as having been ready at all! So women too are affected by these variables.

Now, with my current partner, whom I have lived with for a while, I can say I would definitely be ready to marry him with a better understanding of what marriage is, and what is required of both of you. But back then, I probably would have acted more on the infatuation feelings thinking that would last forever, whereas now I realize love and marriage is about much more than feelings! It also depends on your relationship compatibilities, your goals in life, what you have grown up to believe about marriage, timing and also emotional and mental maturity.
    Last edited by RayKay; 07-08-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
How should I proceed?
I have financially supported my wife for the first 10 years of our marriage. I paid for everything (including her student loan from college) while
Am I wrong in how im feeling
I've been with my husband for 18 yrs. 13 yrs dating 5 yrs marriage. We started dating when I was 18 he was 19 and part of the time he cheated with a
Should I give it time? Or walk away.
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 8 years, we are in our mid 20's. I work/school while he just works. I have never been in a rush to get
Almost engaged
I've never been the type of girl to plan my wedding STILL NOT I mean it's interesting I just don't really know how I guess since my dad raised me I
Time to go?
Hello everyone. I never thought I'd be in a position like this, but I would like to share my story as I am in a very difficult situation and would

valendtine's  day counseling
Featured Threads
Ugly pictures
We had a professional photographer come in at work. I used the photo and put it on my dating profile. But when my Roomie saw it,she said take it
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
I am having difficulty accepting my boyfriends bisexuality for no reason
So here goes; the main reason why I got this account here is probably because I am so ashamed of myself and that because I am surrounded by either
relationship advice
hi... I'll start by saying i'm a guy, i just really needed a woman's point of view for this, so i hope you can help me! My mom is paying for my
Seeing ex tomorrow..so confused. Need advice!
Hi everyone. I'm really confused with my ex. Dated two years; he was very hurt by the breakup. He hasn't dated many people, and I was his first
Needing advice and/or support with ex girlfriend
Ok. Long story short... I ended up in a serious relationship with my best friend of 7 years. The last 3 years of which we were in a serious
I really need some advice and a outside opinion
I really don't know what to do ... My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year now she is no longer attracted to me but tells me she loves
Ask For Advice