I lied about my age .. I want to tell him but i don't know how!

I have been going out with my boyfriend for almost a year, He means everything to me and i love him so much.

I met him last year on my birthday, I told him that i was 18, when it was actually my 17th birthday, as he is 22 i didn't think he's want to go out with a 17 year old.

I feel really bad about it, but before i met him, i'd never had a real relationship and i just thought that we'd last a few months at the most and then things would just fizzle out as it usually did with guys.

I honestly don't think that it would be a big deal to him because it's not something we often talk about, and as i do look about 18 it's never stopped us going out for a drink etc, but over the past year, we have become really close and not just that but i have become close to his family and his friends, so now i feel like i'm lying to them too!

i want to tell him because i'm sick of having it hanging over my head all the time, but i don't know how i should go about it, can anyone help ?

Betsy Blue, UK

That's what i'm scared of, i'm not a liar and when i think back i regret it so much, but if i had have told him my real age and he'd have said "sorry, you're too young" we wouldn't have the relationship and the happiness we do now, i want to tell him but i'm too scared that i'll lose him.

What should i say to him, how should i do i tell him?

Yeh Betsy, I agree you should tell him but you're asking HOW, right?

How about just telling him WHY you said you were already 18. The reason you gave us seems logical enough. You didn't think he'd be interested if you were only 17.

I think you should let him know you realize it wasn't the smartest thing to do and you are sorry you said it, but you really want him to know the truth.

I think if you apologize and are sincere and tell him that your intensions were not malicious but out of eagerness to be with him, he'll understand.

Here's hoping!

And there is a reason why he might not have gone out with you at 17. Since he is 22, in some locations any sexual intimacy between you two is illegal. He could get in a lot of trouble. He still can even if you lied to him.

So please come clean and tell him the truth. A relationship that starts out based on dishonesty is not a healthy relationship.

Ayman, I live in the UK and the age of consent laws over here are a little different from the ones in the US; 16 is the legal age for sex and pretty much everything apart from drinking, which is 18.

I kinda wanted to know if anyone could tell me what they would do in my situation, how would you approach the subject without saying, "Oh, Babe, I forgot to tell you .. I'm a liar"

Help !

Well, I don't think he'll think it's funny that she lied all this time, but... not like she said she was 18 and was really 14.

Also, he might be relieved to find out you aren't pregnant. Believe me, when you sit him down and say you have something important to tell him, things will go through his mind that will make lying about your age insignificant.