Gym approach- Did I blow it or is there a chance she'll still be interested?

Swan89

Hi everyone,

There's this girl that I've seen around in my gym for the last month or so- she's really hot and we've been sharing eye contact for weeks so I know that she finds me attractive.

Last week, I was working out and she came to the machine next to me, I looked at her and gave her a smile and she looked down and smiled bashfully. This week however, I decided to make a move so I saw her tonight, she came to workout near me and we met eyes, I said hi and she did the whole smile and looking down bashfully again. So I bit the bullet and proceeded to talk to her and I just sort of stood by her for a second and then just made small talk, like: Hey, I see you all the time, are you any good on the weights? Do you have any goals? Etc,

It was only a short conversation- about 30 seconds long. I was a bit nervous and she seemed shy too so it definitely felt a bit awkward. I really lacked any 'game'.

I then said I'd get back to my workout and she continued to tell me something about her workout as I started walking away, so.... I'm hoping that might mean she IS interested.

I'm a rather reserved person and although I would say I am a confident person with a good sense of humour and I am confident after getting to know someone a little, but I'm not confident when It comes to talking to women I'm attracted to. So the fact that I plucked up the nerve to talk to her is a big deal for me! She not long long after moved to another part of the gym and then left the gym 5 minutes later, so I naturally assumed I might have freaked her out and she wanted to escape..

She seems like a cool, popular girl and I'm wondering If the slight awkwardness killed my chances?

Also, what should I do next time?

Okay Gyms are a funny place, and I think one of the few places you shouldn't be "spitting game." A lot of girls go there and are serious about their workout. It's usually pretty easy to pick them out.

If she is fluffed up and nice makeup, and outfit, go ahead and proceed to approach her... you might just boost her ego or you might build some rapport and ask her out.

option number 2 is, she is there for a workout and not to get hit on, in which case I would say, build rapport slowly and become a friend so-to-speak and ask her out

and you didn't kill the chances yet, just talk to her again and either just ask her out straight up, or beat around the bush a little. Eitherway she'll take it as a compliment I reckon, if you do it tactfully

Just keep talking to her and being friendly, don't walk away in the middle of her talking to you. And apologize for that by saying something like, "Hey, I'm sorry I was preoccupied by work the other day and didn't quite catch what you said as I walked away." Be friendly, but not overly so and see where it goes. If she continues to be receptive then ask her out for coffee. My take is she's shy, but might be interested. And she's probably stressing over, "Oh great, I was still blabbing away when he walked off. He probably thinks I'm weird." I've done that with guys I liked, so yeah I think you might have a shot.

Just keep talking to her and being friendly, don't walk away in the middle of her talking to you. And apologize for that by saying something like, "Hey, I'm sorry I was preoccupied by work the other day and didn't quite catch what you said as I walked away." Be friendly, but not overly so and see where it goes. If she continues to be receptive then ask her out for coffee. My take is she's shy, but might be interested. And she's probably stressing over, "Oh great, I was still blabbing away when he walked off. He probably thinks I'm weird." I've done that with guys I liked, so yeah I think you might have a shot.

Yeah I kept the conversation short because 1) I was nervous and I didn't have an armory of things to talk about and 2) I wanted to just break the ice casually without stressing her out and hopefully to leave her wanting more without draining the conversation.

I did reply to her and smiled when she carried on talking as I walked away so its not like I ignored her.

I'm hoping that being a bit nervous will show her I'm no player..

Archived