Wife feels a lack of emotional connection - needs something more

The past few weeks I noticed a change in the behavior of my wife of 18 years. She was going out more with her friends and talking less to me. It really hit me when we were on a trip together with our kids and she went out both nights with a group of other people on the trip and asked if I minded staying with the kids. A few days later I confronted her with her distance and her actions. She told me she did not know exactly what was bothering her or driving her but she has and has had for a few years ( off and on ) a desire to have more emotional connection in her life. From me and others. We have talked at a very honest level... very honest. I think she wants to validate herself as an inteligent, attractive, desireable woman and she wants that from others as well as more from me. I want to give her support and space on her needs. I feel like she wants to feel the chase of other men.

Comments? Anybody seen this? I esp want to hear from women who may have had similar feelings..

Thanks

I think they call this a midlife crisis. I looked this up on wikipedia (just for kicks) and this is what I found.

Characteristics

Certain characteristics displayed by individuals experiencing a mid-life crisis often include but are not limited to:

• search of an undefined dream or goal
  • desire to achieve a feeling of youthfulness
  • acquiring of unusual or expensive items such as clothing, muscle cars, jewelery, gadgets, etc.
  • paying extra special attention to physical appearance
  • need to spend more time alone or with certain peers
  • a deep sense of remorse for goals not accomplished
  • an underlying desire to initiate new sexual partnerships

It could be that she's feeling her age. She's been raising kids and working toward a goal but the kids must be failrly independent now.

She's looking for the next phase of life.

Giving her space is fine, but you have to find ways to keep her interest in the marriage. sharing new exciting interests are vital, and I don't mean buying flowers or going to dinner if she wants passion and excitement.

I'm probably off-base, since my long marriage bit the dust.

Dako's not off-base. I would try to do a few things.

One you giving her room is fine. It's the right thing to do, right now.

Second, go look at link removed, and read the free principles. We go for those who give us what we need emotionally, but do so while remaining independent and aloof. Try to use this. Give her what she needs. One of the things you need to realize is that as her man, you need to set limtis for her. You can let her be independent, but you cannot let her walk all over you. No one loves or can love someone who lets themself be walked over. Demand respect, if nothing more. And part of that assumes you have an agreement about fidelity, i.e. there should be no cheating.

Be independent yourself. If she wants to talk to men, fine, but live a life without her, talk to people, men and women, do things, have fun.

Finally, I would go an pick up a copy of The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene, read it all, then seduce your wife. Don't take it as far as Greene would suggest.

i think as women mature, they want to feel wanted by others. whether it be younger guys, or just girls to go out with. you can't lay your life down because you have kids. yeah, they are a huge responsibility. but i see it all the time. older women love it when i hit on them or talk to them. they just feel good inside i guess.

Thanks to all the have commented... I am giving space and focusing on what I can do on our relationship.

My biggest internal feeling is "how selfish can a person be"

We have talked openly about everything.

These are weird times and unsettling to say the least.

Archived