I have been running everyday (almost) of the week since early January. I want to be healthier and feel more energized instead of ALWAYS exhausted. Well, I have good days and bad... I ran 1.75 miles (Wednesday) yesterday (that's farthest I have ever, ever gone) so it was a GREAT day- and I felt amazing afterwards! However, the day before (Tuesday), I couldn't even make a mile (.96) and after I was done running, my chest hurt terribly, like an elephant was sitting on it and it was hard to take the deep breaths I needed to take- I was really scared I could be having a heart attack, it hurt that bad. I have asthma and smoke but have reduced the amount from 3-4 a day to MAYBE 2-3 a week. The only time I really crave them is when I am drinking and that is usually on a Friday or Saturday night. Anyway, I am trying hard to quit because I know how horrible it is, especially with me having asthma. So, my question is, how serious is it that I experienced such horrible chest pain? And it was the first time out of the whole time I have been running... but it was excruciating! Any runners or health guru's out there who can help me figure out what happened??

I am not a health guru, but I run frequently.

I have been running/lifting/playing sports since I was very young and have never experienced this. I have been through some very intense training too, and have been pushed to where I thought my limit was, and still have never experienced this. I would not panic however, especially if this was the first time. I would, however, go see your doctor.

When you are dealing with chest pain, that is nothing to overlook. How old are you?

Hey there,

I am not a health or runner guru but my boyfriend has asthma and he needs to be very careful while running. He does not smoke however.

When you have any health issues such as asthma, it is important to consult a doctor about any exercise program. Also, you may be pushing yourself too early. Since you are a beginner, I would not run two days in a row. I would rest one day in between, just until you build up an endurance. Running is awesome for the body but it is very hard on it as well. I would really get some information about proper breathing, proper form, speed, which kind of shoes you should wear, etc before taking on this task.

First and foremost, talk to a doctor before running again. Good luck.

I used to run everyday two summers ago and a few days a week last summer as well but always quit for awhile because I wasn't comfortable with going to the gym and it was too cold/icy out to do anything in the winter. I have finally made myself go to the gym this winter. I am 23 years old and, in high school, was always naturally thin and not very into sports so I didn't do any form of exercise, minus a year of gym class. I have since then decided I need to develop a healthier life style. So I have been a sort-of runner for a few years and this was the first time I experienced this chest pain. It went away after I leaned over, resting my hands on my knees, for a few minutes. My family has no record or heart attacks or disease as far as I know but my grandfather did develop and die from lung cancer- he was a pipe smoker. Should I wait to see if it happens again before I go see a doctor?

I am saying because you have a health issue such as asthma, it would be important to discuss this with your doctor. I would advise the same thing if the person was diabetic, had Chrome's Disease, or whatnot. You have a special circmustance that needs to be taken into consideration. Also, when we reach our 20's, our bodies change considerably. I was no way in the same shape in my 20's as I was in high school. You have to be aware of this and adjust accordingly.

It never hurts to run this by your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

I should have mentioned that I have asthma as well. I control it by staying in good physical condition. I have perscriptions for things that are supposed to combat the asthma -long term- but I hate being medicated.

Even with asthma I have not felt the chest pain. There was once when I was a sophomore in high school at football practice I got extrememly light headed and my chest felt like it was going to implode....but I attributed that to lack of oxygen, and it never happened again. I was not in the best of shape at that point as it was at the beginning of daily doubles in the *very hot* sun.

Have you ran since?

Have you ran since?

Yes I ran the very next day and went over 3/4's of a mile farther than the day before (the day with the pain) with no chest pain at all. The only reason it really concerns me is because I have never experienced chest pain before and I have been running off and on for a few years. Also, I have moderately been taking some diet pills... I know it's probably not good for me but I want to feel and look great on my wedding day- after that, I will stop taking them and I only take two or three a day and the recommended dose is 6. I guess I should have mentioned that in the beginning post.

Also, kellbell, I have noticed how my body has changed since high school! That is why I decided to develop a healthier life style, lol!

What kind of pain was it? Describe it.

Where, exactly, was it?

Was it worse when you breathed in? Or out? Or constant?

Did you become clammy?

Did you feel sick?

Did you feel light headed/dizzy?

How far into your run did it happen?

What was the weather like?

What was your heart rate? And was it regular or irregular?

Did you use an inhaler?

What kind of pain was it? Describe it.

Where, exactly, was it?

Was it worse when you breathed in? Or out? Or constant?

Did you become clammy?

Did you feel sick?

Did you feel light headed/dizzy?

How far into your run did it happen?

What was the weather like?

What was your heart rate? And was it regular or irregular?

Did you use an inhaler?

It's hard to describe the pain... It was sharp and constant. It almost felt like my rib cage was too small for my lungs.

I felt it all over but it was most intense at the bottom of my rib cage, right in the middle (not sure of correct terminology-bottom of the bridge??).

It was worse when I breathed in.

I don't think I felt clammy, sick or light headed. All I could concentrate on was the pain.

It happened towards the end of my run and that was because I had to stop running due to the pain.

It was inside and I felt very hot.

I didn't check my heart rate... I know it was fast but nothing felt irregular.

I used my inhaler before the run but not during the pain.

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. It sounds like one of those stitches. It is sharp pain in the muscle. That is why taking it slow at first and using proper breathing is important. I hate when I get those. I have found by taking deep breaths in through the nose and exhaling slowly through the mouth helps a lot.

The way to determine whether it's a stitch or a heart attack is to lie on your back with your legs slightly elevated. If it's a stitch the pain should ease almost immediately. If it's a heart attack the pain will stay.

Bending over and breathing through pursed lips should help to ease it.

And if you ever feel one coming on change your breathing pattern and ease off slightly.

Oh and eating/drinking a large amount before exercising increases your risk of stitch.