Appropriate To Mention During an Interview?

Hey All,

So that time has come, I have graduated from school and an currently interviewing for positions for my new career.

My question is, I had an interview last week, and have two more lined up for this Friday, one at 8:30am and one at 2pm.

To be honest, my first choice (if I were to be accepted at all 3) would be for the job I have the interview for this Friday at 2. Second choice would be the one last week (which the manager offered me unofficially on the spot pending my passing my lisencure exam next Wed and my references- and I had to go through HR and am waiting on an "official offer"- but did not sign or commit to anything yet) , and 3rd choice would be the interview this Friday at 8:30.

I've worked with the staff I'm interviewing with on Friday at 8:30 and I am pretty sure I am a shoe-in there, but it is honestly my third choice... so my worry is, if they offer me the job and ask if I want it on the spot- what is the polite way to tell them that I am interested, but am still interviewing and to ask for a bit of time to make my decision?

I don't want to miss out on any of these opportunities (there are my top 3 choices) but I don't want to tick anyone off and lose my chance at a job either.

Is there a polite/correct way to handle this?

What would YOU say?

This has happened to me where I got it offered right on the spot. I told them I need a little time to think about their offer and it worked. Granted don't take a month after but it should work.

The most I would need is a week. But I just want to be able to say this and not upset anyone or lose my chance at the job, and I wasn't sure if it was acceptable to say that during an interview without sounding full of myself or too sure of myself.

This is my second career and I want to be at a place that I love, I don't want to settle for a job that I won't love.....

I am interested, but am still interviewing and to ask for a bit of time to make my decision?

That's exactly what I would say. Ask if you can have a week or so to consider their offer. This company will want to make sure that you're making the best decision for yourself by working for them, as well, since they would be investing in you as a new employee. Since you're a recent graduate, they'll also expect that you're pursuing multiple opportunities at the moment.

Congratulations on finishing your program! I would keep it as general as possible. Don't go into any sort of explanation about why you need time. Just say that you're pleased about their offer and will get back to them with a definitive answer by next week.

In general it's not a problem to ask for some time to decide. Remember, interviewing and working for a company is a two way relationship. You have to pick them just as much as they pick you. You have the right to decide carefully whether you want to work there.

Hey Hope,

Congrats. I agree with what others have said: I don't think it's considered rude to ask for some time to think about the offer. Plus, I am sure they are already aware that you ARE applying to other positions as well (as many applicants usually do) so they won't think that it's out of the ordinary that you ask for more time.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice.

So I guess my only question is, is the general consesus that I should NOT mention that I am still interviewing and would like a little time to finish up and make a decision, or to go ahead and say that. I guess if I didn't mention it, I wonder if they would want to know my reasons for holding off on accepting.

I guess I could just say that I am very interested, and would like a couple of days to think it over, and if they ask why, then divulge that I am still interviewing and want a chance to finish that up before making a choice.

I don't see them asking why you need time. It's really none of their business. But they might have poor manners and ask anyway, in which case honesty is usually a good way to go.

I think it's obvious that you're doing other interviews and it's rude of them to force you into a situation where you have to explicitly say that. But then some people are clueless.

Thanks again guys.

I guess part of my worry is that these people are "friends" and colleages already, as I have worked with them in an ancillary role while awaiting completion of my program.

They (the 8:30 friday interview) are VERY excited that I may work there and I wonder if they'd be like, "Hey Hope, what gives? What do you mean you need some time???"

It is pretty normal to take some time; even if you really do want it initially as sometimes you need time to rationally think it out.

If they do offer it to you, tell them you appreciate the offer, and will be able to provide them with an answer shortly (give a timeframe if you can). That you really enjoy it there, but have to think some things through first and want to go home and think about it.

Since you are going into your NCLEX, and many of you are, they do know you will be interviewing with others in general so should expect that to a point as well.

I agree that most employers, even friends, recognise that weighing up options is par for the course. As long as you are pleasant, you don't feel the need to explain too much and you stick to a respectful and reasonable timeframe, I think all should be fine. If anyone does get precious it's not your fault, you just deal with it with dignity and they will get over it.

Good luck!