women, what country are you from?

Caterina

When I think about Austrialia, the first thing that comes to mind is that song from "Men at Work" (where I first learned about 'Vegemite' through the lyrics), "Crocadile Dundee" movies with that accent, "No more Mr. Nice Guy" with Jackie Chan. Of course we all know about the Kangaroos, Sloths and Quala bears.

It's on the back of my mind to visit this far side of the world at some point in the future.

Mate. What is a sloth?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read an article on the news recently in the Toronto Star that there is a drought in Austrialia right now, and they are thinking of changing from well-water and desalination processes to recycled sewagage (as it is done in most industrialised countries such as North America), but that change has kept up with lots or resistance.

That was the original plan but that have decided not to do that in NSW at least

link removed

I think they are working on a desalination plant.

That was the original plan but that have decided not to do that in NSW at least

link removed

I think they are working on a desalination plant.

Yeah. The regional Aussies can't get around the thought drinking recycled water. And to be... honest I can't blame them.

The thought makes me ill :sad:

I know they say that it would be cleaner than normal water but... It used to be in a dunny!

Yeah. The regional Aussies can't get around the thought drinking recycled water. And to be... honest I can't blame them.

I know they say that it would be cleaner than normal water but... It used to be in a dunny!

You know, all the water on the planet has probably been through some person or animals body at some stage in history.

I don't mind washing in purified water, but I don't want to drink it, especially if it's been through someone's body recently. I always have bottled spring water. I know it's not good for the environment, but I have a weak stomach.

The whole thing is ridiculous though. We don't even recycle grey water here, we should perhaps look to do that before we look to black water.

You may not like drinking dunny water (I don't like the thought either) but remember there's lots of gross stuff in our drinking water catchments as well. Rotting animal bodies, various animal poo etc; it all gets treated.

And they haven't really looked to industry and its use of water - it way outstrips domestic use. I heard that Coke is buying our potable water for $2.50/megalitre, so they can sell it back to us as Mount Franklin bottled water at $2.50/600 ml. If that's true it's bloody ridiculous.

In my travels I have noticed cultural difference between the regions that I have traveled. Mainly what I see are that the cultural expectations are what seem to be different, people act the same no matter what you are but how their culture perceives their activities is where I see the differences. Of course you can make gross generalizations about places you have been but I all I know is that if a girl is beautiful and intelligent she could be completely different from me culturally and I would still be interested.

My bf and I buy bottled water. We don't drink from the tap (Sydney tap water is foul) unless it's in the kettle to be boiled.

I heard that about Coke aswell! It IS ridiculous but what's ridiculous is that people actually buy it! Coke are laughing!

A lot of the bottled water is actually the tap water repackaged though - check your labels if that aspect is important to you.

I have to admit I am a sad sad Diet Cokeaholic

This thread has gone way off topic, sorry OP but I'm can't bring myself to turn it around on a bunch of aussies discussing things dear to heart, not enough of it around here!!, one of the other mods may step in at some stage......

No drama's!

We do get a little bit carried away.

A lot of the bottled water is actually the tap water repackaged though - check your labels if that aspect is important to you.

I have to admit I am a sad sad Diet Cokeaholic

Are you trying to say I've been drinking tap water all along???!

Spose... As long as it's not dunny water!

Are you trying to say I've been drinking tap water all along???!

Spose... As long as it's not dunny water!

Don't know - maybe it depends on location to some degree. But I do remember when I worked for a water authority in Victoria a couple of years ago that they had a hearty laugh about the bottled 'spring' water sold that was from the same reservoirs as the water they supplied through the pipes at a vastly reduced price.