Hello All,

I am new here and this is my first post. My sister is getting married in June and a lot of my family has not seen me for 6 years. In that time, I managed to gain 50 pounds and I look totally different than before.

I am not happy with my appearance because I don't feel like I look as good as before. I was wondering if you thought that it is possible for me to loose 50 lbs by her wedding?

I currently weigh around 220-225. I have already started, since 3 days ago, a diet but I am not sure if I am doing it right. I cut out all soda and only drink water, tea, and coffee. I replaced all my pasta's and breads with whole grain and wheat.

So far I have been eating tuna, wheat sandwhiches, tangerines, and plums. I started to exercise again and jogged 10 minutes last night. (that is all I could handle)

Am I on the right path? Any suggestions?

Thanks

hi there, sounds like youre definitely on the right path.....trick it not to give up....if you eat one chocolate bar, say "its ok, i'll be back on track tomorrow", dont think "i;ve ruined it, i might as well finish the whole packet".

Yep replacing white carbs with wholewheat ones is a good move and try to cut down on these to one portion a day. Snack regularly on fruit, seeds and nuts to keep your blood sugar levels up, tuna is good as well other white meats. Try to steam your vegetables and take a careful look at where you might be taking in unecessary calories (for example putting a lot of butter on toast, sugar in tea etc)

Drink lots and lots of water and starting to exercise again is great.....well done! ten mins is not a bad start at all. Best to do a little every day (or every other day) and slowly build it up.

Keeping a food diary is also helpful.....and be honest! Its suprising how the snacks can add up if you dont keep an eye on it. Also dont eat too little or it will be too difficult to keep up and you are more likely to put the weight back on later.

Could you join a gym or ask a friend to exercise with you? maybe just going for regular walks, cycles, play tennis or something? making it fun means youre more likely to do it more often. Also at the gym they ae qualified to make a programme for you to help steady and healthy weightloss.

Good luck, im sure you will look fantastic at the wedding....just stay positive and you will achieve your goals!

Hope that was some help, im no expert but i'm sure someone on here is!

Hey RV - Welcome to ENA!!!

And let me be the first to say....SUPER CONGRATS!

You're off to a WONDERFUL start, I think.

AND - I think 50 lbs is totally do-able by July. It'll be really hard tho.

Cutting out soda is a tough beginning. I know I have a tough time with that and haven't yet been able to do that. Coffee too.....I put WAY too much sugar in my coffee.

Breads are really high in sugars too, but ya can't cut everything out, right?

I just recenlty found a photo of myself that my husband's grandmother had - she passed and we got a bunch of stuff from her house. Anyway - this photo is from like 6 years ago when I was probably 50 lbs lighter too! I'm totally doin' it too! 50 lbs by July!!

woooohooooo we can do it!! 50 lbs in 6 months??? Easy as NO PIE!!!

In that time, I managed to gain 50 pounds and I look totally different than before.

I'm sure it was 50 lbs of hot and sexy. Don't feel bad about it. People change over time.

Regarding your diet - it sounds like you're really on the right track.

Some recommendations: Running sucks - especially when you already feel overweight. You feel so clumsy with your boobs flying all over the place. Why not stick to another form of cardio - one that you can maintain for more than 10 minutes per day? If you walk for an hour every day, I can almost guaranteee that you'll lose all the weight you want. If you don't want to take an hour every day, just walk for 1/2 hour. It's a great cardio workout, especially for women who aren't in tip-top shape. Another idea is swimming. It works your whole body, you can go at your own pace, and you feel so graceful.

Try not to eat more than 5 servings of fruit each day. Although it's good for you, it is also high in sugary carbs. You can have all the veggies you want, though. Go on the internet and get a bunch of recipes for delicious salads and home-made dressings. Experiment and find some that you love enough to eat every day. It also helps to have a bowl of soup before your big meal of the day. You seriously eat half as much that way.

50 pounds in 6 months is pretty ambitious, but if you take it seriously, you'll do well. What you will find is that in the beginning - just by adjustments in nutrition - you will lose weight quickly, only to gradually plataeu at a certain weight. From there, doing cardio (running, stationary bike, etc.) gives it more of a push. Not saying that exercising early on won't do much, in fact, it is important, but it will be much more dynamic later on when nutrition alone won't get you to where you want to go.

You're off on the right foot.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race. Do not try and do too much too soon. If you want to lose weight, do so in a healthy manner... otherwise the lure back into your current weight might be too strong later on. Just be patient and adjust yourself to eating different foods. Don't think of it as a "diet"... but rather, just what you eat.

Good luck!

So many replies so fast with so many great tips and nice words. Thanks all! When I get home from work, I will post a picture of 6 years ago and today... I don't think I will look exactly the same since I am older now but it gives me the inspiration I need to stay on track.

Awdree- You're on! I have an ENA buddy with me now! This will be "fun" =) Wedding is June 1st.

Remember diet, diet, diet!!!!

Add some exercises and you'll be ok. But if your diet is wrong, and unless you do a LOT of exercising, you won't loose fat.

There are plenty of bodybuilding forums on the net that give advice on fat loss. Have a look at something like link removed or link removed

If you can, my advice to start off with would be to do cardio and weights on alternative days, with one day off per week.

But don't go to all this trouble and then go out and buy a Big Mac as a treat! It takes willpower.

Going on 2lbs per week mean that starting now you should be able to get the 50lbs off by mid summer. goodluck

Is it ok to do push ups and sit ups as part as strength training and is it ok to do everyday even if my muscles are sore from it? I have heard that there should be a day rest but have also heard that it can tone up my body, mainly my gut and is safe to do everyday. Does anyone know?

I do have access to a gym but I work really strange hours and have been for the past 6 years and that is partly why I have gained this weight. If I could do push ups and sit ups at work then it would make this a lot easier...

Is it ok to do push ups and sit ups as part as strength training and is it ok to do everyday even if my muscles are sore from it? I have heard that there should be a day rest but have also heard that it can tone up my body, mainly my gut and is safe to do everyday. Does anyone know?

Do not work out every day of the week. Your body needs time to heal and catch up to what you have done. Never work out if you are sore. Take a break every day or two until you feel normal. Alternate between upper and lower body, cardio and weights, etc. If you do upper body 7 days a week, of course you're going to be sore fast. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

Push-ups work your upper body, especially the upper back region, and sit-ups/crunches are great for the abdominal region. They are great to incorporate into your strength training schedule.

There is a difference between working yourself and killing yourself. If you feel that you might hurt yourself, you are either not using the correct form, or the weight might be too much, or for other reasons.

Lots of water. As much as you can stand. Always have fresh fruit and veggies available to stave off hunger. Be sure to include protein and whole grains in your main meals for the day. Try to eat fat free for the most part, but do get a small amount of fats from nuts, fish, or olive oil. No soda or any fast or packaged or processed foods. Get a minimum of a 1/2 hour of vigorous exercise daily. You're off to a great start! You can do it! I'm right there with you! I'm gonna get there and so are you!