This isn't one of those mystical, religious, or even at all important events, its just something that I noticed about myself.

I was at a school event, and I found myself talking to someone. But, I was kind of seeing and hearing myself talk to her, but it didn't seem like me. I mean, arrgh, I can't put it down in writing...

It felt like I was watching myself have a conversation with someone else, and I started to think, "I wonder who that is?" I mean, the me that was talking, seemed to keep going, while I sat back and was thinking about other things,. And than I noticed that physically my mouth and body were moving, but it didn't seem like I had any control over it. It was a bit strange, and I was just thinking about it. I mean, its like it wasn't the real me talking and being friendly, but it was someone else.

Has this happened to anyone? Do you know of any ways to kind of have more control over yourself? I feel like I'm myself at home, but in public, I think I act like someone else, which adds to that out-of-body feel experience.

hmm, I'm an existentialist, so sometimes I have moments of 'pure being', but I don't know if that's the same thing.

here's an excerpt from a book I'm writing (which describes existentialist moment):

Once in a while, an existentialist will experience a moment of pure being. It’s hard to describe, much like ‘The Creative Nothing' (Max Stirner). It comparable to detaching one’s self from one’s own consciousness. Viewing reality outside of one’s self. Much like taking one’s whole life and the world they live in and placing it in a glass box. Then staring into the glass box. For a brief moment, everything is meaningless; staring at the things around me, the buildings, all erected for some grand non-purpose. After meaning leaves, one begins to fade. At this point, sanity should kick in. Fear pulls one back. For me, it is an icy clutch. When I feel the icy clutch, I am afraid

shakespeare's sonnets 75

why is my verse so barren of new pride?

so far from variation or quick change?

why, with the time, do i not glance aside

and dress old words new?

spending again what is already spent

for as the sun is daily new and old,

so is my love still telling what is toldf

ever same and changed

Bob, I'll take dissociation for $100: "In a 1984 study, 34 per cent (of college students surveyed) reported episodes of depersonalization or feelings of being unreal or separate from one's own body, apart from times when they were under the influence of drugs or alcohol and were more likely to have them." The Stranger in the Mirror: Dissociation, the Hidden Epidemic, Marlene Steinberg, M.D. (pg eighteen).

It doesn't happen at home because you don't have any stress or pressure there -- or not as much.

Start keeping a diary and writing about the events of your day. It'll help.

Odd, one-off episodes of dissociative depersonalization like these are not a problem; it's only indicative of chronic trauma reaction when it occurs more often, when it's accompanied by a critical "inner voice," and when one can't return to oneself at will. It's not unusual for severely dissociative people to injure themselves in an attempt to restore some feeling of connection with themselves. Unfortunately, self-injuring only makes the recurrence more likely. What is required is to begin to allow oneself to face one's feelings and let off some of the emotional tension and pressure that is causing the episodes of depersonalization. Diaries, physical exercise, talk therapy, art, and establishing a feeling of safety and routine in one's life all help, but active attempts to get in touch with one's day-to-day emotions and memories are required to completely resolve recurrent episodes.

I have had an out of body experience once and never again. I wish I could've had one when I got some cavities filled.

The experience was weird, glad I didn't have one of those again.

I've had only one as well. It was scary. Could do without...

easy, I know what you mean about the mirror thing. I've looked myself at the mirror before and thought, "Wow, is that really me staring back?" It seemed strange, but I got over it pretty quickly. Mirrors just have that effect on me, and luckily, not just me.

But, on Saturday, at work (I work with children who have issues, either mentally, at home, in life, or just in general) I was tutoring a young girl and I was trying to teach her and keep her entertained as well. But, trying to hold a real conversation with an eight year old can be a little difficult, and slightly tiresome, and I was a bit sleepy anyways. So, I closed my eyes for a second, and when I started talking to her again, it was like verbal vomit. I was just talking, and I had no idea what I was saying or doing, I was just kind of day dreaming in my own little world for a few minutes, but my body just kept going.

I'm not on any real drugs, except an Advil every now and than. And, coffee of course.

Is this actually serious Juliana? I mean, I've never considered self-harm except in joking situations (which I probably shouldn't joke about...).

I remember years ago, a girl at the end of the school year burst out into tears crying, "I'm a fake!" I remembered that, and wondered, am I not the same person as I'm showing to other people? Am I just acting?

It's so weird, I can't get over this feeling, like when I'm doing something slightly tedious, or anything thats routine, that I'm standing right behind myself and staring over my shoulder, all the while thinking of something else.

You guys really know a lot about this stuff. Wow. Depersonalization? Can ya tell me a little bit more? And I've never thought about myself as an existentialist, but dil, when you said you had those moments of "pure being," I might be having a few of those. But, it feels so fake, like I'm a puppet or something that's being strung along by someone else.

Argh, its kinda freaky.

Hey Third Wheel - I think I know exactly what you're talking about....and I gotta say - i think it's kind of common.

Who was the person?

What was your mood?

What were you talking about?

I find I get this feeling a lot during obligatory conversations or others where I am sort of forced to be the "fake" me. Like socially polite or whatever.

I can totally relate to the feeling of being outside yourself - but like you said, not in a spiritual - your spirit leaves your body kind of way....

Does this make any sense to you?

Actually, ya, it does. Except, I think I have the wrong answers to your questions...

"Who was the person?

What was your mood?

What were you talking about?"

I was talking to friends, and all of this happened at a party (no alcohol thank you ), and I was feeling pretty alright, having fun and everything. I don't actually remember what we were talking about since my mind kind of flew the coop.

But, later, when I kind of induced it on myself, in the social obligatory sense (except it was at work ), it makes more sense for it to happen.

Its really hard to describe to feel being outside myself...Luckily, it happens to other people to, so atleast I can talk to people about it. Is it necessarily a bad thing? It seems to have its uses, so I can tune out and function at obligatory meeting and such, but I don't know...especially with what Juliana said about self-mutilation in order to get back to reality. I don't know...

Third, I know about this because I have it. I'm not a professional, just a "skilled amateur." So I can't actually tell you whether or not it's serious; I can speak reasonably knowledgably on a superficial basis, and, within my area of experience, with some confidence. The book I quoted from is an excellent start if you're interested in this topic.

From what I've been reading dissociation is far more prevalent than we realize. It is considered the sane mind's refuge from crazy experiences; it is where non-schizophrenic or non-neurotic minds retreat to when overwhelmed. Human beings like a sane and predictable world, where they can trust they won't be violated. Well, we all know that's not gonna happen.

As a simple rule of thumb, anything that interferes with your day-to-day functions needs professional care. But there is a huge, huge range of human experience that falls within the realm of "unusual but normal;" think of speaking in tongues; glossolalia. Common experience. Thousands of people have done it. What the h*ll is it? Nobody knows.

Some people seem to dissociate very easily. You may be one of them. Do some reading, and if you find you're concerned by it, consider seeing someone.

btw, people who self-injure are severely dissociative; they literally feel nothing at all. Nothing. They barely feel the pain of the blade that cuts them. If you don't feel the need to self-injure, you're not likely to start.

• 2 weeks later...