If you could generalize (I know sounds bad) what type of women in her 20's uses IUD? IntraUterine Device link removed

This new girl I have gone out with a handful of times uses it. I haven't met any girls that use this type of birth control. All the girls I have dated have all used The Pill.

We have had sex probably 10 or so times with condoms. I just want to get an idea about her and also make sure she is using this device. She said she only gets her period about 4 times a year and that doesn't seem consistent with using this. You can never be too careful these days.

Thoughts appreciated.

When I have used the pill, it caused major side effects. Mood swings, weight gain....

Plus my mother was a breast cancer survivor for years, until finally she lost the battle. She had often wondered if taking the birth control pills for 6 years caused her cancer, as the doctor told her that her cancer was estrogen positive. That meant that her cancer was actually fed by the very hormones her body produced, and that was also in those little pills she took to prevent babies......

Well, for those reasons, I probally wouldnt want to take pills. I have for short terms in my life. If I had to do it over again though, I would use non hormone type of birth control (IUD for example) instead fo ingesting drugs that will mess with my bodies natural order of things.

If you have this fear and dont "trust" her when she's saying she has this then maybe y'all should just stick to using condoms.

You can't tell by a girls period what she is on to be honest everyones body is different and reacts differently. I personally dont know much abou the IUD so I know im not much help but what do you mean you wanna "get an idea about her?" talk to her about it im pretty sure she has some proof that she has this.

Women seem to be terrifiend of the copper T IUD since it has a reputation for possibly increasing the bad side effects of a woman's period. More bleeding, more pain etc.

More women by far choose the hormonal route and take the side effects of sex drive decrease, weight gain and possibly improved periods.

These were a popular and effective item in the 70s and some women couldn't tolerate them. Some women even wore them as earrings. They were seen as a drug-free alternative, but the pill became more accepted.

Not every woman wants to mess with their hormones, so the IUD is a good choice.

Some women have sporadic periods and take the pill to regulate their cycle, so it's possible she has an odd cycle. My ex would go months without a period.

Of course you should use a condom.

Thanks for the responses and welcoming me here.

It is not that I don't fully trust her, it is just that I want to be careful after hearing so many stories about women getting pregnant.

What I meant about "getting an idea about her" is this: only 1.6% of women who use birth control use this device. So there must be something unique about these women who choose such birth control. Be it convience, lifestyle, numbers of sex partners, medical reasons, etc. or that is last up to 10 years.

The more I read about these IUDs, doctors recommend that women only have one long-term sex partner. I think because it make them more susceptible to getting an uterial infection. (see that says something about the type of women that use these)

Not having to take hormones does sound like great plus for women!

well, from what I have heard, the insertion can be a bit painful. some of our members have had it done, said that it was more than "a pinch" when they put it in, and had cramping for several days, but now it is ok.

I think some women would rather take a pill everyday, than have an uncomfortable thing clipped onto their uterus!

I have a copper IUD because I had a number of nasty side effects during the four years I was on the pill. Women who have an IUD with hormones (like Mirena) have no periods or occasional periods, and sounds like this is what your girlfriend has. Reasons only few women have IUDs:

- many doctors will only give them to women who have had a child: they're easier to place then because the entrance to the uterus isn't so tight

- they're very painful to get inserted. I'm up for my 5-year renewal and not looking forward to it!

- with a copper coil you have heavier and more painful periods

- with a hormone coil you may not have any periods: some women are uncomfortable about this

- they're an underappreciated form of contraception: often they're not among the first possibilities offered, for some of the reasons already mentioned

- you're more susceptible to any STI if you have an IUD (hence the recommendation for women with a steady partner to use it)

I have to agree with Dako though: you should have known the basics about her sexual history (whether or not she ahs taken risks) before sleeping with her. Besides, trying to judge what type of woman she is based on her contraception makes about as much sense as judging her based on her choice of shampoo. There are a myriad reasons to choose for one form of contraception or another. If you're curious, you should just ask her what hers were.

i got a story about the IUD , it may sound like uncomfortable and horrible.

a girl who had a IUD implant in her body might always think of sex since she did not need to calculate the period or takes pill.it seem like she did not have to worry when to have sex ,as long as she wants it she will straightaway do it.

the girl that you are dating with might obsess with sex.think about it ,she is only 20. normally women use it when they are planning for a birth control or family plan in her 30 and not that as young as your girlfriend.

This may sound rude, but trying to classify what type of woman you're dating based upon her method of birth control seems a bit backward to me.

You could have figured that out before having sex with her.

Yes I know it sounded bad to ask that but I thought it might give me a little insight on her as a sexual being. Especially since so few women use this type of BC at a young age and who have not had kids. She is in her mid twenties. I wish I knew more about her sexual past but we sort of rushed into it after only a few dates. I know that she used to have a serious LTR so maybe that is why she had this type of BC (the steady partner and not wanting to use hormones) And she loves sex, so I wanted to see if maybe more promiscuous girls use this but I guess that is not really the case.

i don't think it's that she's more or less promiscous. more likely, (if I had to catagorize her without knowing her!) it's either:

1) she is not good at taking pills everyday.

or

2) she has a family history of breast cancer and thinks the IUD would be a better choice.

that's my 2 cents anyways.....