Is this child abuse?

UH, NO. This is against the law! It is againts the law due to cruel and unusuall punishment. If people in jail are Required to have three square meals a day then a Child should never be punished by food taken away!! This also breaks federal law, a child does have civil rights.

I doubt it is against the law per se. But certainly ask the principal if that is a recognised punishment at the school and if it is not that make a complaint.

If it is then take it up with the school board.

I would only recommend seeing a lawyer if these two courses of action fail.

Well, the teacher was fired anyway, but I was kind of wondering if maybe she deserved to be fired or if she should have just gotten a warning. But when you put it that way I think the situation was handled just as it should have been. I'm just really surprised because she's well-liked by lots of other kids at the school and she thought she was doing the right thing. Thanks for clearing that up, but one more thing I forgot to mention before- if she tries to get another job somewhere else, will this incident hold her back? Would the pincipals of other schools have access to this type of information, do you think?

Yes, if she was fired for misconduct involving children it would be part of her record. But the chances are that she would get another job but be closely monitored. People make mistakes and providing it was not one of several she would get a second chance.

Yeah, and apparently she'd been picking on this boy whose lunch got trashed for awhile, and his sister. There was another severe incident involving the sister, but I won't mention it in case I get recognized somehow... I always worry about that. I didn't like this teacher too much anyway. She favoured like crazy, ignoring some kids who cried for their parents and taking others onto her lap. She also kissed a lot of kids when she saw them, which I found totally inappropriate simply because she'd only do it to some kids, and because she was crossing her limits as a teacher. It's been awhile since I was in kindergarten, but I know if she was my teacher when I was five I'd feel absolutely horrible. You'd only like her if you were one of the "cuter" kids, which is really sad. I thought I was just imagining this, as I was fifteen when she first came to the school. But two years later, I can see I was right about her all along. Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.