This is such a stupid question, but can you get AIDS from French kissing? Me and my ex-boyfriend made out a few months ago. Then we broke up. Now I wonder can you get aids from kissing.

He told me he was a virgin, and he was a really bad kisser(which led me to believe he was telling the truth). But I always think the worst. I have phobias.

I've been diagnosed with acute anxiety disorder so i worry about things alot. I know this is such a stupid question, but should I have an Aids test?

I would feel like such a fool going for one for just kissing. But I'm considering it.

I wouldnt run out and get an HIV test just because I kissed someone, even though yes it is possible, unlikely but possible if the person has the virus and say you have an open sore or cut in your mouth it could be transmitted through their saliva into the wound but the chances of that happening is rare.

I do say getting tested for all STD's and HIV/AIDS is always a good idea though especially when entering a new relationship or ending a relationship.(thats what I always do anyway)

Get tested if it will ease your worries. The chances are very slim unless you both had open sores or bleeding gums for example. There are many theories about the contraction of such blood borne pathogens but every day they are learning new things about HIV and AIDS such as adaptation and changes as the virus has mutated and fought for it's own survival. Abstaining from any risky behaviors is your best bet. In the homosexual communities it has really been about educating those in high risk groups. Like I said, get tested but you are more than likely a little paranoid which is actually good, you'll be more likely to think before engaging in risky behavior. Believing someone who claims to be clean isn't the best way to avoid contracting any STD.

RC

Unless you are kissing a vampire the chances are slim to none.

Deep kissing is considered extremely low risk behavior, because the mouth is inhospitable to the virus. Enzymes in saliva break it down to none threatening levels, and that is if your partner even has it to begin with. One would have to be infected, and both of you would have to bleed into each other's mouths profusely.

HIV through: anal, vaginal, oral(fellatio and cunniligus), and blood transfusions are the only 100% ways to transmit HIV. Not to mention IV drug use. Just make sure you are protected(condoms, dental dams, and etc if you indulge in the aforementioned behaviors)

If it will help to ease your mind get tested. I believe there is a 99.9% chance that you are disease free.

link removed

Extract from above link

Is kissing risky?

Kissing someone on the cheek, also known as social kissing, does not pose any risk of HIV transmission.

Deep or open mouthed kissing is considered a very low risk activity for transmission of HIV. This is because HIV is present in saliva but only in very minute quantities, insufficient to lead to HIV infection alone.

There has only been one documented instance of HIV infection as a result of kissing out of all the millions of cases recorded. This was as a result of infected blood getting into the mouth of the other person during open mouthed kissing, and in this instance both partners had seriously bleeding gums.

This activity is not known to pose any risk for HIV infection. Saliva does not transmit HIV. One should be aware of cuts or sores in the mouth and, if concerned, not floss or brush right before French kissing. "Dry" or "social" kissing (with the lips closed) poses no risk for transmitting HIV.

Also, according to reports, the couple in question(that got aids from kissing) are the only reported case, in 25 years, in 40 million cases, of transmission via deep kissing. Experts are unsure to the precise causes to this day...

So I think you are safe. But if it will quell your anxiety I say go for the test.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sunshine, you don't have to worry about that...

1.) The HIV virus cannot survive in open air for more than a minute or two(if that much)...

2.) It can't be transmitted through saliva(which is why you cannot get it from kissing...even French kissing, unless it is under bizarre circumstances where both parties are bleeding into each other's mouths). The quantities of HIV are so low that it would take 30 gallons of saliva to make you positive...ew...

So you have nothing to be concerned about...

Here are the ways for HIV to be passed...

1. Uprotected: Vaginal, Anal, or Oral sex(Oral is very low risk behavior...It only becomes a potential risk if the person injests semen or pre seminal fluids)

2.) Intravenous drug use: If you use heroin or something always make sure that your needles are clean...

3.) Blood transfusions: Which is RARE, due to our blood screening process...

4.) Mother to infant through breast feeding(if the mother is infected with HIV)...

Hope that helps?

If you want more indepth info on HIV goto link removed. I have learned ALOT from that website.

I feel your pain sunshine...You are talking to a diagnosed hypochondriac with generalized anxiety disorder here...lol.

Years ago I was convinced I had been infected with HIV. Why? Because of a couple of mosquito bites.

Several months ago I open mouthed kissed someone, for the first time, and two weeks later I started wondering whether or not I could get HIV. I got so paranoid that I even talked to HIV counselors. All of them told me an HIV test would be pointless because I didn't indulge in anything remotely risky.

So, to quell my fears, I started learning about the disease. That has really empowered me in a way. Knowing that I can take the proper precautions for prevention means alot.

It can never hurt to be tested to be safe and put your mind at ease, but some of the properties in saliva have actually shown to reject the virus. Its a big thing in a lotta labs testing to see how it can be used in a cure eventually. I wouldn't worry but if I felt scared I would test just in case.