Difficult Decision (I'd Appreciate Your Advice!)

So some background on the situation:

My brother is on a Study Abroad program in Europe. He's set to come back on the 19th.

My mother wants to go to Europe to take care of some things (that's to our home country) probably one week after my brother comes back. This is a disadvantage because in a way the family is getting pulled in different directions and we already miss each other enough. She wants me to come with her so I can see my grandparents and other relatives (they miss me like crazy).

At first when I heard my mom wanted me to go with her I was very happy. Then I reanalyzed the situation and thought that wouldn't be in my best interest.

I'll be a Junior in high school next year and I wanted to accomplish some things this summer:

First I wanted to work and make money for myself. Well, with the one+ month stay there, that would limit my work time, and I'll even spend more (although I'll limit myself to this).

Second, I have to study for the ACT and I've got homework already for an AP class. My brother doesn't think it's a good idea because the trip there will "distract" me from being productive on these things. I honestly don't know, but I doubt it.

I don't know what else to say but I'll miss both countries either way. Either I go with my mom and miss my brother and father, or she goes alone for a month.

I've got friends here and I've got friends there also. It's going to feel weird, but frankly I think my mom is right in saying that going home will relax me a little since there's no place like home.

I've been thinking for this for the last few months and there advantages and disadvantages when it comes to both.

*sigh*

I'd say go to Europe. The older I get, the more I realize that what really matters in life is family and friends.

Good point: why can't you just get a temporary working visa? link removed Maybe you could go work before your mom gets there even for a bit? Who knows, but this whole thing could work out well.

Think about all your options. How often do you see your family in Europe?

I'd say go to Europe. The older I get, the more I realize that what really matters in life is family and friends.

Good point: why can't you just get a temporary working visa? link removed Maybe you could go work before your mom gets there even for a bit? Who knows, but this whole thing could work out well.

Think about all your options. How often do you see your family in Europe?

Not very often. Like every 2-3 years.

I don't know that work there is a good option since the town I live in is in the mountains (picturesque), and there's really not a whole lot a teenager can do. But we'll see.

You can study while you're in Europe. You can study anywhere. Except underwater.

As for the work thing, if you're going to be a junior next year, then you're only 16, right? It's hard to get a job at 16, and if you do find one, you'll probably get paid minimum wage. I'm not sure how much money you could make over one summer. The job experience would probably be good, but I think the Europe trip would be more beneficial in terms of life experience.

I would go. I remember I had AP work to do over the summer and I just last minuted it and did fine. Usually they are not so serious about the work they assign over the summer. It's either to scare you or to gauge abilities. If you only leaving for a month you have plenty of time to do school work. As far as a job goes, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always do volunteer work.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

I will go, just not this year. It was a hard decision, but if I went this year it would not be as exciting because it's just me and my mom going.

We decided that next year my brother and I are going and we're going to do some traveling around (something I couldn't do if I went now).

And about the AP stuff - you're right. I found literally ten grammar mistakes on the sheet itself. I almost started thinking that they are on purpose for some reason (that's how common they were).