Okay, if was to date a girl, where would I take her?

I live in the UK so maybe the culture as far as this is concerned is different from America. I was thinking the pub would be okay place, you know just sit down at a table have a drink and talk. Would that be an okay thing to do for a date?

Doing something crazy like going to the zoo seems okay as well, but there aren't any near me,

I can't really think of much else except for restaurants, but they seem a little formal and more like the kind of thing an over 25 posh couple would do, or a 40 year old couple on their anniversary, I think it'd feel a bit corny.

Don't do a movie first date - there is no opportunity to connect/talk to one another.

Keep it short and simple first date. Coffee, a drink, a light lunch are all good ideas. Some of my first dates involved throwing a frisbee at the park, or going for a bike ride.

My first date with my current boyfriend we went for a couple drinks and to play pool - interactive and lots of chances to talk and laugh.

Coffee is a good idea as a first date. When I went on a first date with my ex, we went for lunch and to see a movie. That wasnt too bad. We were able to socialize at lunch and get to know each other better and then we went to see a movie which was ok with me.

How short do people usually recommend first dates be? My first date lasted about 5-6 hours (he went with me to pick up something, go to lunch, and then to see a movie).

No, there isn't a "set time limit" for first dates but there is a reason you should keep it shorter as opposed to really long for first date - it keeps interest up for one thing. If you tell it all on first date, what do you leave for second date? You want to leave having them wanting more in other words.

My current partner and I had a longer first date for various reasons, so it is not a rule, but there are definitely some reasons why it is best to keep it short and leave the date on a "high" then drag it out. Also, if you are meeting someone on more of a blind date, they advise you to keep it shorter - a lunch date during the week for example.

Ross - I don't think the cultures are all that dissimilar actually (UK US).

I think going to the pub for a chat is a fine idea. As is coffee. A pub for a drink might make for easier conversation.

I agree with RayKay - no movie for a first date, although its not too teenage-eee. Seeing a movie can be a good idea - go see a good movie, go afterward for a bite and talk about the movie!

Ross, the best date I ever had was going to the airport to watch the planes.

Seriously. We sat in the cafeteria for hours just talking. Not rush, no stress.

Not something I'd recommend for a first date though, I think a buffer activity is probably necessary- bowling or some such.

A movie isn't a bad idea as long as you have enough time before and after to talk. And it can help open up a conversation as you have a ready made start point.