Any natural solutions for neck and back pain and hand numbness

Two years ago, I injured myself while skiing. It started out as neck pains and gravitated to whenever I would move my neck in such a way, a sensation, like an electrical sensation would go down my arms and through to the last two fingers on both hands. This went on for awhile and I found it annoying enough for me to go see a doctor. I was referred to see a neurologist and had all the MRI's done on my brain, upper and lower spine, etc. Apparently, I have a cyst in the back of my brain (that isnt causing the problems though) and my upper C1 and C2 portions of the spinal columnn are fused together and pushing in on my spine. Hence the neck pain and the electrical feeling/pulses that go down my last two fingers on either hands. These problems were all congenital meaning I was born with them and as I get older, they are getting worse.

I was referred to see a neurosurgeon and he told me that the only way to solve this problem was surgery where he would go in through the back of my neck and separate the bones and would use pins to hold them apart. I would have to be in a "halo" cast for a few months and would not be able to work for 3-4 months.

As you can see, I dont want to do drastic surgery like that since I am deathly afraid of surgery. Two years ago, I had surgery to solve a hearing problem and in the middle of the surgery I woke up and could feel the pain and the surgeon cutting into my ear. They gave me more anesthesia but I had a bad asthmatic reaction to the whole thing and I ended up staying in the hospital for two days for a procedure that was only supposed to be a day surgery thing.

I have tried the chiropractic route and that didnt work real well for me. I was wondering if anybody knew of any holistic ways to solve my problem or at least relieve the pain and the numbness/tingling in my hands. Since I have moved to San Diego, it hasnt been that bad, but when the weather changes or when I sit too long uncomfortably (like spending my whole days here) my neck, back, and hands act up. Last night the pain bothered me to the point I had to take some prescription painklillers (which I HATE to do).

I have tried the chiropractic route and that didnt work real well for me

How often did you get adjusted?

I go weekly and I have found that chiropractic has been the only thing that has gotten rid of really bad migraine headaches I used to get.

I too, hate to take any medication unless it is an absolute necessity.

BellaDonna

I went head-first into a cement block wall in an equestrian accident which, over time, led to my having a herniated disk in my neck at the C6-C7 level (base of the neck).

Had similar symptoms to yours -- shooting pains down the arm, numb fingers (index & middle fingers in my case), and wound up at a neurosurgeon's office. I had myself well and truly freaked out by the time I got there because everything I'd read online indicated they'd want to operate by going in through the front of the neck. That operation goes right by the nerves for your vocal cords and temporary or permanent loss/change of voice is possible.

I'm a radio DJ. That's how I've made my living since I was 18...I don't know anything else. There was NO WAY I was going to let them do an operation going through the front of the neck.

My chiropractor suggested a neurosurgeon for me. Chiropractors are generally against surgery unless it's the only option and once my chiro got a look at my MRI, she very wisely told me to go to a neurosurgeon she knew, liked and respected.

Long story short, I had the surgery 5 years ago this month. He went into my neck through an incision in the back. I was off work for about 2 weeks (out of the hospital after an overnight stay). My neck surgery was the surgery I freaked out the most about, but of the 4 surgeries I've had (broken radial head {elbow}, and both feet to correct a congential problem) it was by far the easiest one.

Had I waited longer, it would've been more difficult as the heriated part of the disk would've calicfied (hardened) and caused permanent nerve damage.

I'm telling you this because sometimes surgery is the appropriate choice to deal with a physical problem. I understand you've had a bad experience with surgery previously, but do not allow your fear to make your decision here. You may have to consult with a couple different docs before you find one you are comfortable with and whose treatment program you agree with. I was fully prepared to march right out of the neurosurgeon's office if he so much as suggested doing surgery through the front of my neck, and told him so within a few minutes of our first meeting.

Since most chiropractors view surgery as a last-resort option, you may want to consult with a couple of them about your specific condition and see what they say. Like I said before, when my chiro of 15 years started talking surgery after she got a look at my MRI, I knew that really was my only option.

Shes2smart, your idea is good, about getting a chiropractor to look at the MRIs and let the chiro recommend a neurosurgeon. Yes, I am deathly afraid of surgery, esp since I also have asthma problems and the last time I had surgery with all the things that went wrong, my asthma flared up bigtime and I had to be hospitalized.

This morning, the pain and numbness are ok but I am groggy from the Darvocet I took. That is why I really hate pain pills and avoid them like the plague.

Once I settle down here, I will find a chiropractor to see what they think should be done with my problems. Although I am not working right now, I do have health insurance, it is just that I just moved into the city and dont really know how to go about finding doctors and stuff. I'll figure it out and then find a chiropractor to go to.

Yoga is great for increasing your strength, flexibility & balance. Depending on what type of yoga you practice there are also benefits of stress reduction, and learning how to focus, clear & calm your mind.

All good things. I practiced Hatha Yoga for a while and really enjoyed it. It was the key thing that got me through a really stressful time after my last break-up. Hatha is a much slower, easier practice...the emphasis is on making sure you're in the proper position in the poses...there's a lot of "lying down and resting" during the class so that your body can process the proper positioning of the poses you just did. I'm all for any exercise that includes "lying down and resting." Even with that, it was still a good workout...I'd have sore (in a good sore kind of way) muscles the next day and after several weeks, I noticed increased strength replacing the soreness and more flexibility. I doubt Hatha Yoga caused anyone to lose a lot of weight, but for toning, strengthening & increasing flexibililty & the mental benefits, it's an excellent choice.

It won't solve your underlying problem, but you might get some other benefits from it.