i'm a 22 college student and have been unsuccessfully trying to make close friends for the last 4 years. I do have some close friends from HS but now I don't talk to them anymore because I feel that they treat me like crap and it is better to stay away from them. Anyway I have no problem initiating a conversation with people and is far from being anti social. The problem I'm having is with people not warming up to me. I feel that i'm warming up to them but they are not returning the favor. First meeting with people is always fun but the second time I see them it is like we have never met. I tried to say hi but they avoid eye contact or give me a glance and look away. I consider myself to be a pretty good guy. My motto is "Be a good person and treat people like how you want to be treated" and I practice it! I see people worst than me personality wise making friends and it makes me jealous.

People seem very social and want to make friends if you look at websites like myspace or xanga but it doesn't seem like it in real life.

Is there something wrong with me? For years I have been trying to find the answer. People around me seem to have no problem making friends, and I see that they are no different than I am. Maybe the problem with me is I think I have a problem making friends but in reality I really don't. I am a social person and it is killing me not having anyone to talk to. I need some help fast.

What sort of things do you talk about when you initiate a conversation? Do you think you may be coming on a little too strong?

What sort of social activities are you involved in?. Is it just to meet people or are there other activities involved? Sometimes, being involved in something with other people gives you a common interest and makes conversations more relaxed and easy.

I agree with DN. Try talking to people that are also in the major as you. Chances you'll be seeing them a lot.

When you talk to them, ask them something like "Hey, do you play (insert activity here. Golf, basketball, pool, etc...)" If they say yes, then invite them to play.

Friendships are like relationships. In the beginning they take a lot of time and effort. You may have to plan all of the activities until your new friend comes out of their shell. Be persistent.