Tattoos - Attractive or a put off?

Oh please -- people still think others with tattoos are "trash"?

I love tattoos -- I think they are sexy. I don't like the "sleeve" ones that cover the whole arms though. I would never, however, judge someone as "trash" or uneducated just because they had tattoos.

I have two tattoos myself -- had them for years and I don't regret them yet.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please -- people still think others with tattoos are "trash"?

I love tattoos -- I think they are sexy. I don't like the "sleeve" ones that cover the whole arms though. I would never, however, judge someone as "trash" or uneducated just because they had tattoos.

I have two tattoos myself -- had them for years and I don't regret them yet.

we are talking about trashy looking tattoos. not nice shapely body flowing, has meaning, etc.

i love tattoos. hot girl at my gym has both upper sleeves, chest, and legs. i'm trying hard to talk to her. * * * * head ruined it yesterday. c blocked for sure.

we are talking about trashy looking tattoos. not nice shapely body flowing, has meaning, etc.

i love tattoos. hot girl at my gym has both upper sleeves, chest, and legs. i'm trying hard to talk to her. * * * * head ruined it yesterday. c blocked for sure.

haha...i didn't think you of all people could be c blocked...wow it must seem like i am following you around eh!

I don't go for tattoos about 99% of the time. In general I'd say I don't like them, but I wouldn't impose my views on others. And I would (and have) looked past them on a partner if he had them. I am just relieved if the guy I fancy doesn't have them.

Though it's interesting...I think that the kind of guy I'd be interested in wouldn't really want another while we are together, if he already had one -- meaning, that at some point (more wild and experimental) he'd tried them out, but no longer sought to imprint himself with an identity this way. If he wanted to get new ones, I think there would be some other things about us that would be mismatched of a completely different order, having nothing to do with body art.

The main reasons for me that I don't like them are:

-- I think of myself (and people) as continually evolving, so what we identify with also evolves along with that. Nothing is permanent or static. And so I don't really feel like stamping (branding, really!) myself with something for the rest of my life and saying, "This is me". I don't like the idea that I would have something on me always, that I can't change. That's like being stuck with a single haircut or single outfit for the rest of my life! I'm surprised people don't see it this way.

-- I don't like the "showmanship" of it. This is especially true for tattoos of people's names. I think we have the experience of people in our hearts, and it actually cheapens it to put it on your skin. It's like you have to have your wallet with pictures open to the world 24/7, showing off what matters to you saying, "See? Look, look, look!! I love them (or loved them!) and you're gonna be sure to know it!" I just see that as parading around. I know some will say that it's just more of a personal recognition that one does for themselves, and I can see that justification, but then I still believe it means more to hold it close in a locket of one's heart. You don't need ink that fades, wrinkles, looks bad after time and needs touch-ups to know what's important in your life. I also think some people think a tattoo makes them "cool" or implies they have endured pain, or took a chance being bold, and that makes them hip. So that attitude I just find a turn-off.

-- I love the look of bare skin as it is made -- the light and shadows, the way it glistens with its silky tone, whether pale or dark, and a blotch of ink just marrs it totally to me. The skin is so sensuous, I just don't want to touch it, it's perfect as is (unless you have cosmetic problem with your skin, such as a surgical scar or birthmark that would be symbolically transformed by a bit of art that's meaningful to you.) I liken the look of a tattoo to graffitti on a temple. Even the most brilliant graffitti (which can be spectacular and beautiful!) is still...graffitti. It's like when I see those very sensual indentations of the sacroiliac joints -- and paint is in the way of just enjoying that lovely spot visually. I don't want to see a butterfly there, it doesn't belong.

-- Which gets me to the next point: it's very hard for people to have an original tattoo. There are just so many images -- flowers, birds, dragons, abstract geometry, yin yang symbols, butterflies -- that are lovely in and of themselves, but have just become so damn boring to see on someone's flesh.

-- I don't like the idea of wounding yourself/myself and having to deal with infections, inflammation, allergy, etc.

There are so many ways to express yourself through your visual presentation, that I don't see what a tattoo accomplishes except to declare to the world something you either already know, where it matters most (so why do you need to prove it to yourself or anyone?), to show off and be exhibitionistic, or to be trendy that you can't do -- in another way that you have a choice to change later without paying giant sums of money to undo.

There is only one tattoo I have ever considered getting..."Amor Vincit Omnia". And for all the above reasons, I would not do it. It rather spoiled it when I discovered several celebrities, and so many others, have it. When something is done enough, it loses all meaning to other people, even if it has meaning to you. So then, I will chisel it above my door lintel or write it in calligraphy and put it in my office.

Words/Sayings are not always bad. Depends really. One of my classmates (an older student) has a saying on his arm "Not Everyone Who Wanders is Lost" or something similar to that, I like it!

Tethys - not everyone thinks they are trashy. Some do but meh, I have two and don't care either what others think. I got them for me. And neither myself, nor my tattoos, are trashy! As long as I know that, that is all that matters, right?

seriously she looks like that and has that body and you're looking at her tats?!?!?

They are a distraction rather than an enhancement.

I'm OK with small tats. When it spreads to an entire part of the body (arms, neck, face!) then it gets a bit too weird for me. Tats are a bit like jewelry in my opinion: too much is just gawdy and distracting. I prefer simple and elegant because it enhances the human form rather than covering it up.

I have no tats. I thought about an armband but never followed through. On women I'm OK with maybe a shoulder blade or a small ankle tattoo. The 'tramp stamp' is so ubiquitous that I think it is more sexy to find a woman with an unadorned behind.

Words/Sayings are not always bad. Depends really. One of my classmates (an older student) has a saying on his arm "Not Everyone Who Wanders is Lost" or something similar to that, I like it!

Was it perhaps "Not all those who wander are lost"? If I ever got a tattoo, it would almost certainly be related to JRR Tolkien somehow.

But that's beside the point. To me, tattoos are pretty neutral. I don't like excessive tattoos, but someone having a few tattoos doesn't bug me at all. In fact, I think a few tattoos on a guy can be really cool, especially if the tattoos have a significance.

They are a distraction rather than an enhancement.

I'm OK with small tats. When it spreads to an entire part of the body (arms, neck, face!) then it gets a bit too weird for me. Tats are a bit like jewelry in my opinion: too much is just gawdy and distracting. I prefer simple and elegant because it enhances the human form rather than covering it up.

I have no tats. I thought about an armband but never followed through. On women I'm OK with maybe a shoulder blade or a small ankle tattoo. The 'tramp stamp' is so ubiquitous that I think it is more sexy to find a woman with an unadorned behind.

tramp stamp?!?! I have tats on my lower back is that what you consider a tramp stamp?!?! if so i am officially offended!

• Like 1
tramp stamp?!?! I have tats on my lower back is that what you consider a tramp stamp?!?! if so i am officially offended!

Technically a link removed is a design on or about the sacrum.

The script on your lower back is probably too high to be considered a tramp stamp. You still have room for one though!

I have mixed feelings on tramp stamps: they look good on some. At least the small ones. They also provide something nice to look at in yoga classes.

I love them, my whole back is done, (I did get just my back due to my office job) , but my husband has tattoos as well, the one thing people need to think about though, is this purely for a trend?or is this a lifestyle? tattoos on your knuckles will get you discriminated against unless you are in a certain genre, this tattoo trend will peter out be it 5 or 10 years and she will have tattoos that are very painful to get rid of, it's kind of like the arm band tattoo , a lot of people got them but they're not "in style" anymore if shes trying to make a fashion statement she should do it with clothes or hair, if she's hardcore about her tattoos by all means start with her knuckles and expect more after that, they're very addicting

Yes, I do believe that tattoos are a commitment.

You have to be able to live with what you've put on your body. There is a way to get them removed but it's very expensive.

not expensive really a tattoo artist can retrace the entire tattoo with lemon juice, over and over and over again, it can take weeks but it wll go away, it's very painful though
haha...i didn't think you of all people could be c blocked...wow it must seem like i am following you around eh!

well, i was just about to talk to her. this dude came up (he knows her) and started talking to her. i'll run into her today i bet.

• 5 weeks later...

On second thought, I think a tattoo could help with a woman who is attractive but not stunning. Maybe a woman who is a 6 or a 7. Beyond that, the tattoo distracts from their beauty.

I noticed this with the woman on the cover of The New York Times magazine (Emily Gould). She is average looking; cute but not overly stunning even done up for the cover piece. The tattoos enhance her some, even if they are a bit much.

On second thought, I think a tattoo could help with a woman who is attractive but not stunning. Maybe a woman who is a 6 or a 7. Beyond that, the tattoo distracts from their beauty.

hmmmm interesting...i always fear the rating system hehe

here you have it.. my tramp stamp:

ED...thanks for sharing. Not that I am a maker of phrases or one who coins terms, but I'd say that is back art. I guess in my view a tramp stamp is a bit smaller and on the tailbone.

PS: You have a beautiful backside. Why'd you go and splash ink all over it?