Guys, I deleted/hid my thread.  They were playing around on my computer this morning and this site was up on my screen and don't want to risk them pulling the site up and reading.

Thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!! 💛

• Like 2

Do you use this site on your work computer?

I would strongly encourage you not to do that. Everything you do on your work computer is recorded by your company's IT department regardless of whether you delete it or not. It's not just on your computer's hard drive. Anything and everything is accessible to them.

I would recommend you use your personal cell phone (like I do). Secure and private. 

• Like 1
Just now, boltnrun said:

Do you use this site on your work computer?

I would strongly encourage you not to do that. Everything you do on your work computer is recorded by your company's IT department regardless of whether you delete it or not. It's not just on your computer's hard drive. Anything and everything is accessible to them.

I would recommend you use your personal cell phone (like I do). Secure and private. 

Yup! My husband works for the government and EVERYTHING is monitored. He uses his personal phone for social media. 

Just now, Seraphim said:

Yup! My husband works for the government and EVERYTHING is monitored. He uses his personal phone for social media. 

If you connect to the work WiFi or network, every keystroke goes from your computer to the company network (where it's recorded) and THEN to the website you're using. They have a record of everything you do on it. Both private companies and government agencies. 

A former coworker used to send sexy messages to her husband (who also worked for the company). They were so embarrassed when their messages were read by IT and the in-house IT person teased them. 

• Like 1

Thanks Bolt, that's really valuable information! 

Normally I use my personal devices (phone or iPad), but my battery is low today and forgot my charger....

The partners are aware we sometimes use the office computer for personal stuff, they have given us approval to do so as long as we don't abuse the privilege and we get all our work done which I do.

But what you've posted has got me thinking now!!  I don't think they would go to the trouble of checking but you never know!

Going forward, I will stick to my personal devices!!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

If you connect to the work WiFi or network, every keystroke goes from your computer to the company network (where it's recorded) and THEN to the website you're using. They have a record of everything you do on it. Both private companies and government agencies. 

A former coworker used to send sexy messages to her husband (who also worked for the company). They were so embarrassed when their messages were read by IT and the in-house IT person teased them. 

Yeah he never hooks into the wifi. He has 100 G of data a month on his personal plan. 

54 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Yeah he never hooks into the wifi. He has 100 G of data a month on his personal plan. 

I have 5.0 GB for $50.00.  Suits me fine, I'm not that active on SM. Lasts a month or two depending.

I have wifi at home....which is where I'm on the most.  

16 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I don't either. My phone has data which I use even when in the office. And I only go to innocuous websites like Google Maps on my work laptop, even when I work from home.

Just because they might not look at browsing history every day doesn't mean it isn't recorded and periodically reviewed. This is especially true if you deal with anything considered confidential, whether it's in the private sector or public, or you work on government projects (like I do).

I don't do anything on my work computer that I wouldn't want my manager or corporate leadership to see. 

• Like 1

Well thankfully it was never a problem and I'm leaving in two months so not gonna worry about it.  And I won't be working in an office environment anymore, I'm on to other things. 

But it's really good info to know!

I watched a very troubling movie with Julia Robert's on Netflix called "Leave the World Behind" about a cyber attack on New York.

Nothing is safe!  Our computers, our 401Ks nothing!  

It got me really scared because this could become a reality in the not to distant future...

I understand why they monitor. They need to know their employees aren't secretly transferring information to anyone who shouldn't have it. And that's fine with me. I have personal devices I can use. 

My brother doesn't have a personal computer so he filled out his mortgage forms on his work laptop and then saved them to the company network drive instead of his hard drive. The company network went down for about a week, right when he was supposed to finalize his home purchase. He was practically hysterical because he couldn't access his documents. Secretly I was wondering why he did such a boneheaded thing, but of course I didn't tell him that!

2 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

The company network went down for about a week, right when he was supposed to finalize his home purchase. He was practically hysterical because he couldn't access his documents.

And that's why I make sure to have backups. Actually printing documents might be old fashioned, but I'll still have them when a computer glitch wipes everything else out or makes it inaccessible.

8 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Well thankfully it was never a problem and I'm leaving in two months so not gonna worry about it.  And I won't be working in an office environment anymore, I'm on to other things. 

But it's really good info to know!

I watched a very troubling movie with Julia Robert's on Netflix called "Leave the World Behind" about a cyber attack on New York.

Nothing is safe!  Our computers, our 401Ks nothing!  

It got me really scared because this could become a reality in the not to distant future...

Morning Rainbows! 

Can I be nosy and ask what your new career is? Sounds exciting! 

x

10 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Everything you do on your work computer is recorded by your company's IT department regardless of whether you delete it or not. It's not just on your computer's hard drive. Anything and everything is accessible to them.

The land of the free lol

Anyway, its not like it does matter in your case. What are they going to do? Fire you when you already quit and training the replacement?

There is an app for ENA if you have an Android phone. I suggest you use that one instead. 

4 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

The land of the free lol

Anyway, its not like it does matter in your case. What are they going to do? Fire you when you already quit and training the replacement?

There is an app for ENA if you have an Android phone. I suggest you use that one instead. 

I use the desktop version on my browser on my phone . I never use a pc to access anymore and I haven’t in years .

2 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I use the desktop version on my browser on my phone . I never use a pc to access anymore and I haven’t in years .

I do too.  However after hours and on weekends I use my PC because it's easier to type and to read.  My old eyes lol!

And using company equipment for personal use while I'm being paid by the company isn't a violation of my freedom IMO.  Their equipment, their rules.  I work on government projects so I definitely understand concerns about confidentiality. Same if I worked at a doctor's office or in litigation. 

Just something to keep in mind for your future, Rainbows. Your current employer may be relaxed about it but future employers may not be.  If you're freelancing and using your own equipment that would be a different story, of course.

52 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Your current employer may be relaxed about it but future employers may not be.  If you're freelancing and using your own equipment that would be a different story, of course.

I don't plan on having future employers, I'm going into business for myself. :classic_biggrin:

But I hear ya!  And I've been fortunate that my bosses have been relaxed about it.

It's actually very rare when I use their equipment anyway, only reason I did yesterday was cause I forgot my charger and wanted to save data.

I'm also not doing anything that if they discovered it, I'd be embarrassed about.

Personal messages to friends, boyfriends and family or anyone are always sent from my personal devices not hooked into their wifi. 

But anyway, again really valuable info @Bolt, thanks..

2 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I don't plan on having future employers, I'm going into business for myself. :classic_biggrin:

But I hear ya!  And I've been fortunate that my bosses have been relaxed about it.

It's actually very rare when I use their equipment anyway, only reason I did yesterday was cause I forgot my charger and wanted to save data.

I'm also not doing anything that if they discovered it, I'd be embarrassed about.

Personal messages to friends, boyfriends and family or anyone are always sent from my personal devices not hooked into their wifi. 

But anyway, again really valuable info @Bolt, thanks..

If you're going to have customers or clients I'd keep a separate business computer in case anyone ever has to investigate your business laptop in connection with a business matter.