Had to euthanize my conure

I'm devastated that my 15 yr old baby had to be put down.  He started having seizures out if the blue.  I don't  know why & it kills me.  He never chewed zinc or other metals as his toys were for birds.  He didn't look sick days earlier.  He was eating and playing as normal.  I'm dumbfounded. He went to an avian vet once a year   How could this happen??

I only noticed he wasn't flying around as much but I attributed that to him getting older.  The vet thinks something was going on before this.  Birds apparently hide illnesses she said.  Still I feel so responsible for his horrible suffering  😔 .  

I don't know if I'll ever get over this.😞😞😞😞

• Sad 2

I'm really sorry to hear this. You did the hard but right thing putting him down, rather than trying to have him linger for your sake. I think your vet is right that there was something going on before hand, but at 15 there are so many things that could have happened.

I remember taking my cat when he was so horribly out of sorts; it was heart breaking, but in the end I didn't want him suffering. You did the same, I would encourage you not to feel guilt; but see it as a small mercy for your beloved bird.

What was his name? And what is the goofiest thing he did?

Thank you for kind words of comfort.  I know in my ❤️ it was best for Cheeko.  It's so hard to watch a pet bird hurl himself all over the bottom of his cage in seizure fits.  I was helpless to stop it.  What was amazing 👏 is right after his seizures each time he climbed right back up to his perch to eat his pellets & apple.  What a trooper.  He kept trying despite the torture he was experiencing.

The goofiest thing he did was fly over to the kitchen counter, climb into the cupboard and chew through a bag of popcorn.  One day I came home 🏡 and couldn't find him!

Eventually I heard a noise in the cupboard.  I went over to the open cupboard.  He was stuck in the bag of popcorn  chomping away.

I miss 😢 him so much and will be planning a special little burial & memorial for him at the park we used to take him in the summer.  There were cute ducks in a pond that he loved watching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1