A Chance to Stand Up for Myself and Affect Change

Just now, Capricorn3 said:

You're an amazing woman and strong. Sending you tons of cyber hugs (((((((((hugs)))))))) 🌹 and fingers crossed it has positive results. 🫰

Thank you . ❤️ I sent my email tonight and hope they give me the chance . 

• Like 2

I think it's awesome that you are actively working with victims to enhance the way the justice system deals with sexual violence. In my previous position, we organized ongoing crowdsourcing initiatives addressing important issues, including domestic violence and sexual violence.

I wanted to suggest the idea of launching a campaign to support victims in conjunction with your consultations. This could serve as an additional outlet for them to share their demands for reform and further amplify your efforts. It would also allow for a more interactive approach, giving victims an opportunity to share their perspectives and potentially have their input integrated into the consultations or petitions.

I'm not sure if I can post a link, I no longer work for the company but they continue to do great work: YouGiveGoods

Wish you all the best in your efforts!

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, yogacat said:

I think it's awesome that you are actively working with victims to enhance the way the justice system deals with sexual violence. In my previous position, we organized ongoing crowdsourcing initiatives addressing important issues, including domestic violence and sexual violence.

I wanted to suggest the idea of launching a campaign to support victims in conjunction with your consultations. This could serve as an additional outlet for them to share their demands for reform and further amplify your efforts. It would also allow for a more interactive approach, giving victims an opportunity to share their perspectives and potentially have their input integrated into the consultations or petitions.

I'm not sure if I can post a link, I no longer work for the company but they continue to do great work: YouGiveGoods

Wish you all the best in your efforts!

Does the link work in Canada as I am Canadian . It was an appeal to survivors I saw on the news last night so I am sure many saw it . 

7 hours ago, catfeeder said:

So happy to hear that you're feeling strong enough to consider this, and especially to have taken such a proactive step. All would certainly benefit from your input, Seraphim. Sending good vibes!

I think I am at the strongest mental state I have ever been in my life. And this is a great opportunity to use it to help others and hopefully make a difference and further empower myself as well. I didn’t get heard all those 4 decades ago in a way I needed to be so maybe now. 

11 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Does the link work in Canada as I am Canadian . It was an appeal to survivors I saw on the news last night so I am sure many saw it . 

Oh Seraphim, my apologies. I did not realize that you're in Canada. I stopped working for them a few years ago and I am unsure. They might, I would reach out to them and if they don't, perhaps they can recommend a company that does?

But, there are other crowdsourcing platforms out there that may deliver to Canada. I just did a quick search and came across a company called 'Chuffed Canada.' It's not exactly supplies based but could be an option.

The other thought I had was to contact a local charity and mention that you would like to do a fundraiser selling goods for domestic violence and sexual abuse support groups. Ask if they have any connections to local suppliers who may be able to assist you in getting supplies donated for the fundraiser. When seeking donations, it's important to present your cause in a well thought out manner. Bold causes that make a difference are attractive to suppliers.

Of course, there is always gofundme, but doing an actual driver to raise tangible goods and gather physical donations my be more rewarding for you.

I hope this was helpful!

• Like 1
On 3/13/2024 at 6:49 PM, yogacat said:

Oh Seraphim, my apologies. I did not realize that you're in Canada. I stopped working for them a few years ago and I am unsure. They might, I would reach out to them and if they don't, perhaps they can recommend a company that does?

But, there are other crowdsourcing platforms out there that may deliver to Canada. I just did a quick search and came across a company called 'Chuffed Canada.' It's not exactly supplies based but could be an option.

The other thought I had was to contact a local charity and mention that you would like to do a fundraiser selling goods for domestic violence and sexual abuse support groups. Ask if they have any connections to local suppliers who may be able to assist you in getting supplies donated for the fundraiser. When seeking donations, it's important to present your cause in a well thought out manner. Bold causes that make a difference are attractive to suppliers.

Of course, there is always gofundme, but doing an actual driver to raise tangible goods and gather physical donations my be more rewarding for you.

I hope this was helpful!

Thanks for the information. I will keep it in mind for when I am retired and have a lot of time for fundraising. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

YES!!! Thanks for the great news.

I am glad I will finally have a voice after 44 years. Hopefully I can help make a difference for people experiencing the justice system. I was treated as the criminal and wasn’t allowed any support in the courtroom at 14. My parents were purposely kept out of the courtroom and they allowed me to be questioned by my own abuser as he was representing himself at discovery. 

The whole experience brought shame and made me a further target and I was stalked by the person for another 3 years despite having an order of protection/ restraining order that my parents obtained. He would stand just beyond the distance required and nothing could be done . We had to leave the province to get away from his endless harassment . 

42 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

they allowed me to be questioned by my own abuser as he was representing himself at discovery. 

That is absolutely horrifying.

My abuser is completely out of my life and has been since I was about 18. I didn't report him so he was never arrested (and he committed a large portion of the abuse when he was a minor anyway) but he ended up a career criminal with zero prospects.

Good for you for using your voice for change. 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

That is absolutely horrifying.

My abuser is completely out of my life and has been since I was about 18. I didn't report him so he was never arrested (and he committed a large portion of the abuse when he was a minor anyway) but he ended up a career criminal with zero prospects.

Good for you for using your voice for change. 

It was horrifying . I don’t know how I got through that day. 
I have only seen him once since I was 16. It was his mother’s funeral ( my grandmother). I was 35. He is now 69. He is my father’s little brother and only 12 years older than me . I know I was not his only victim. He has been abusing people since he was a child himself. 

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I am glad I will finally have a voice after 44 years. Hopefully I can help make a difference for people experiencing the justice system. I was treated as the criminal and wasn’t allowed any support in the courtroom at 14. My parents were purposely kept out of the courtroom and they allowed me to be questioned by my own abuser as he was representing himself at discovery. 

The whole experience brought shame and made me a further target and I was stalked by the person for another 3 years despite having an order of protection/ restraining order that my parents obtained. He would stand just beyond the distance required and nothing could be done . We had to leave the province to get away from his endless harassment . 

I don't have the words to tell you how sorry I am that you went through this for all of those years--and afterward.

• Thanks 2