Making a decision… diabetic meds

I have an appointment on Feb 1 . I was put on Janumet in late November. That caused me tinnitus which is a very rare side affect affecting mostly women. Last week my doctor put me on just straight metformin. The tinnitus still hasn’t resolved so I think that is permanent . 

He said if my AIC isn’t below 7 for my next appointment he wants to layer with a medication that would protect the heart and kidneys like the Janumet was. He suggested 2 different medications , Ozempic or Invokana and told me to research both.
Invokana has horrific possible side effects like limb amputations and necrotizing fasciitis . It is also horrendously expensive . 

The side effects of Ozempic seem less intense and severe other than possible gastro paresis. Ozempic and however becomes in short supply because of all the people taking it for its non intended purpose .  It is a once a week needle. For reference I am not afraid of needles. 

I am leaning towards Ozempic if my A1C isn’t below 7. The other medication side effects scare me too much . 

• Like 1

Roommate is diabetic and is currently on Trulicity if you want another option. She's considered Ozempic but due to the shortage from people using it as a weightloss tool and the fact that she's managing her A1C fairly well (a little over 6 I believe), her doctor hasn't wanted to perscribe it yet. Her brother is a doctor and has taken Ozempic for his diabeties. Seems like that is a good option.

I'm sure you know this, but diet, getting enough rest, and managing stress are also vital. When my roommate keeps those under control, her numbers tend to be better. But if she can't sleep or has to visit her mom in a week, the sugar shoots up. 

FYI, metformin is apparently some kind of miracle drug. It's being studied for use in delaying aging, preventing Alzheimers, and reducing cancer. I'm not a doctor, but from everything my roommates read on the subject, it seems like the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

Good luck getting everything under control.

• Like 1

Seraphim, it's good to see you. 

I can't give medical advice but I just wanted to add, I am not diabetic and I have taken metformin for years. I have a hormonal disorder that gives me a 50% chance of developing Type 2 diabetes. My numbers are great (last A1C was 5.3).and through a combination of weight loss/maintaining, ok diet, and metformin (twice daily dosing), I am not only not pre-diabetic anymore, but I am in good shape. I'll never stop taking this drug, I swear by it and as do other people in my family. 

Invokana makes you urinate out sugar, reducing your blood sugar. Risk of yeast infection and BV, with sugary pee. 

No harm in taking some time to think about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Seraphim said:

The side effects of Ozempic seem less intense and severe other than possible gastro paresis. Ozempic and however becomes in short supply because of all the people taking it for its non intended purpose .  It is a once a week needle. For reference I am not afraid of needles. 

Just in case you haven't seen this yet in your research -- Ozempic is a rather popular conversation topic on my FB mom groups -as you know -for weight loss.  So - as an outsider/non health care person I've been a bit alarmed by some of the side effects some have experienced - pretty intense.  And yes the short supply-the frustration.  

• Like 2

My BIL took Wegovy when it first came out (the other brand of the same drug as Ozempic) a few years ago.  I had never heard of any of these things at the time.  

He's a Type 1 diabetic, and he wears a permanent insulin pump, but still has trouble controlling his sugar levels, so his doctor put him on it.

He lost 25 lbs. that he really didn't need to lose, because it made him so sick that the thought of food made him not want to be anywhere near any food.  Even the smell of great food made him nauseous.

He went off it because of the illness it caused, and he said he just enjoys food.  He's a guy who loves to cook, bake, eat out, and he said it destroyed one of life's greatest pleasures.

He did gain the weight back, which was fine with him, as he didn't want to lose weight in the first place.

He also keeps a supply of insulin for blood sugar spikes, and he knows how to control it, so his doctor was fine with him going off it.  But there are many patients who truly need Ozempic/Wegovy, as they aren't monitoring their BS 24/7, and there are such dangers, so the drug has its place.

When I see all the Ozempic craze going on with celebrities (and mom's groups, like @Batya33 pointed out), it makes me so angry, because there are people who truly need it.

• Like 1

I dunno Invocana, we dont have that here. But Ozempic is widely known. And also used by non- diabetic people to lose weight. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/22/well/ozempic-diabetes-weight-loss.html

From what Ive known its OK medicine. But just misused a lot. Also, if you maybe dont want to take medicine, did you thought about insulin shots? Maybe in your country its expensive(dunno about Canadian healthcare but heard bad stuff) but would maybe save a liver a bit more then taking medications. Once you start taking medications you need to do it whole life I think. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Roommate is diabetic and is currently on Trulicity if you want another option. She's considered Ozempic but due to the shortage from people using it as a weightloss tool and the fact that she's managing her A1C fairly well (a little over 6 I believe), her doctor hasn't wanted to perscribe it yet. Her brother is a doctor and has taken Ozempic for his diabeties. Seems like that is a good option.

I'm sure you know this, but diet, getting enough rest, and managing stress are also vital. When my roommate keeps those under control, her numbers tend to be better. But if she can't sleep or has to visit her mom in a week, the sugar shoots up. 

FYI, metformin is apparently some kind of miracle drug. It's being studied for use in delaying aging, preventing Alzheimers, and reducing cancer. I'm not a doctor, but from everything my roommates read on the subject, it seems like the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

Good luck getting everything under control.

I was well controlled with no medication for 3.5 years but my stress level hit too high and everything went to hell in s handcart. From daily blood readings ( right now I have to do 3 finger pokes a day until I see my doctor so he can see my pattern ) If I am stressed my sugars spike right out of the safe zone . So that has added to it for sure. I am better sleep wise as I have a better medicine for anxiety and sleep . 

11 hours ago, Fudgie said:

Seraphim, it's good to see you. 

I can't give medical advice but I just wanted to add, I am not diabetic and I have taken metformin for years. I have a hormonal disorder that gives me a 50% chance of developing Type 2 diabetes. My numbers are great (last A1C was 5.3).and through a combination of weight loss/maintaining, ok diet, and metformin (twice daily dosing), I am not only not pre-diabetic anymore, but I am in good shape. I'll never stop taking this drug, I swear by it and as do other people in my family. 

Invokana makes you urinate out sugar, reducing your blood sugar. Risk of yeast infection and BV, with sugary pee. 

No harm in taking some time to think about it.

Nice to see you !! Glad you are well. Yeah , I don’t want all kinds of infections etc . I take metformin 500 mg twice a day. It was really hard on my stomach in the beginning but now I’m used to it. I don’t think I am going to go with Invokana too many side effects I don’t want to deal with. 

4 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Just in case you haven't seen this yet in your research -- Ozempic is a rather popular conversation topic on my FB mom groups -as you know -for weight loss.  So - as an outsider/non health care person I've been a bit alarmed by some of the side effects some have experienced - pretty intense.  And yes the short supply-the frustration.  

That is the thing for diabetics medications are life and death, and for some of these people Ozempic is an easy way to lose 10 pounds. Frustrating indeed. 

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

My BIL took Wegovy when it first came out (the other brand of the same drug as Ozempic) a few years ago.  I had never heard of any of these things at the time.  

He's a Type 1 diabetic, and he wears a permanent insulin pump, but still has trouble controlling his sugar levels, so his doctor put him on it.

He lost 25 lbs. that he really didn't need to lose, because it made him so sick that the thought of food made him not want to be anywhere near any food.  Even the smell of great food made him nauseous.

He went off it because of the illness it caused, and he said he just enjoys food.  He's a guy who loves to cook, bake, eat out, and he said it destroyed one of life's greatest pleasures.

He did gain the weight back, which was fine with him, as he didn't want to lose weight in the first place.

He also keeps a supply of insulin for blood sugar spikes, and he knows how to control it, so his doctor was fine with him going off it.  But there are many patients who truly need Ozempic/Wegovy, as they aren't monitoring their BS 24/7, and there are such dangers, so the drug has its place.

When I see all the Ozempic craze going on with celebrities (and mom's groups, like @Batya33 pointed out), it makes me so angry, because there are people who truly need it.

I am a type 2 diabetic with a vast paternal family of type 2 diabetes. Luckily my brother does not . 

There are dangers to all these medications unfortunately. My doctor calls them poisons but he said unfortunately the diabetes will kill you before the poisons will so poisons it is . 

I love food too but I am so used to my new way of eating now after almost 4.5 years that it only bothers me sometimes. I can have the occasional treat. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

I dunno Invocana, we dont have that here. But Ozempic is widely known. And also used by non- diabetic people to lose weight. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/22/well/ozempic-diabetes-weight-loss.html

From what Ive known its OK medicine. But just misused a lot. Also, if you maybe dont want to take medicine, did you thought about insulin shots? Maybe in your country its expensive(dunno about Canadian healthcare but heard bad stuff) but would maybe save a liver a bit more then taking medications. Once you start taking medications you need to do it whole life I think. 

I probably will be for life. My dad died of kidney failure due to diabetes. 
I think I am leaning towards Ozempic. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sorry if my post was misconstrued.  I wasn't saying Ozempic/Wegovy are bad, but they are being so overused by the celebrity/mom community for the wrong reasons.

You have a great understanding of your own personal situation, and I know that you'll make these decisions with your doctor to get your A1C in as best of control that you can.

My mom was a Type 2 for 30 years, so I fully understand the need to control it with the tools available.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I'm sorry if my post was misconstrued.  I wasn't saying Ozempic/Wegovy are bad, but they are being so overused by the celebrity/mom community for the wrong reasons.

You have a great understanding of your own personal situation, and I know that you'll make these decisions with your doctor to get your A1C in as best of control that you can.

My mom was a Type 2 for 30 years, so I fully understand the need to control it with the tools available.

Absolutely; I understood what you meant and yes it is overused and misused by the celebrity set and celebrity wannabes and that should be made illegal. 

2 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Nice to see you !! Glad you are well. Yeah , I don’t want all kinds of infections etc . I take metformin 500 mg twice a day. It was really hard on my stomach in the beginning but now I’m used to it. I don’t think I am going to go with Invokana too many side effects I don’t want to deal with. 

I hope you are well as well, and staying warm during this cold snap. 🥶 

The gastro effects usually go away for people with time, I know they did for me, but it can take a while. I take 1000 mg twice a day, once in the morning and then right before bed. Low carb is the way to go to keep the gasteo effects away when you're on metformin long time, and of course by low carb, I'm meaning more avoiding excessive simple and/or processed sugars. Love me my fruits and vegetables. 

I truly do feel better on it and over time, it really has helped me wean down my A1C to the 5s so I am happy. 🙂

• Like 1
Just now, Fudgie said:

I hope you are well as well, and staying warm during this cold snap. 🥶 

The gastro effects usually go away for people with time, I know they did for me, but it can take a while. I take 1000 mg twice a day, once in the morning and then right before bed. Low carb is the way to go to keep the gasteo effects away when you're on metformin long time, and of course by low carb, I'm meaning more avoiding excessive simple and/or processed sugars. Love me my fruits and vegetables. 

I truly do feel better on it and over time, it really has helped me wean down my A1C to the 5s so I am happy. 🙂

I think I might ask him to just increase the metformin and hope that works. I already now have a nasty issue I have had constant and unrelenting tinnitus due to Janumet. It started after the first pill and then he took me off it a week ago and put me on just straight metformin and it still hasn’t gone away. It’s less intensity but it’s still there. I was on Janumet a month and a half. So now I’m more or less have to deal with permanent tinnitus. I don’t want any more crazy crap.🤯

Yeah, it has been a cold snap for sure ! 

26 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I think I might ask him to just increase the metformin and hope that works. I already now have a nasty issue I have had constant and unrelenting tinnitus due to Janumet. It started after the first pill and then he took me off it a week ago and put me on just straight metformin and it still hasn’t gone away. It’s less intensity but it’s still there. I was on Janumet a month and a half. So now I’m more or less have to deal with permanent tinnitus. I don’t want any more crazy crap.🤯

Yeah, it has been a cold snap for sure ! 

This might be a good option to try before introducing anything else.

My friend with type 2 diabetes went on Ozempic and did fine for a few months, but the dosage gets upped in increments. Once she reached 2.0 (from the original .25 dose) her side effects were a violent cycle of diarrhea and vomiting followed by severe constipation leading to impactions.

She went off the drug to reset her system, but then even the smallest dose gave her less violent, but still sufferable cycles of the same symptoms.

If the metformin increase doesn't help, one option might be to ask your doc if you can try the Ozempic (or version) to the lowest degree and not increase unless your A1C levels stop responding to the lowest dose.

EDIT: Friend went with the increases in dosage despite good A1C readings because she was invested in the weight loss. So the message I take from this is that the lower dosage could have helped her maintain both blood AND weight loss goals had she not kept increasing the dosages. BUT, I don't know enough to say whether that's possible.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

My friend with type 2 diabetes went on Ozempic and did fine for a few months, but the dosage gets upped in increments. Once she reached 2.0 (from the original .25 dose) her side effects were a violent cycle of diarrhea and vomiting followed by severe constipation leading to impactions.

She went off the drug to reset her system, but then even the smallest dose gave her less violent, but still sufferable cycles of the same symptoms.

If the metformin increase doesn't help, one option might be to ask your doc if you can try the Ozempic (or version) to the lowest degree and not increase unless your A1C levels stop responding to the lowest dose.

Yeah , I personally know 5 people on Ozempic , my best friend and her kids and a few other people all diabetics most have tolerated it well unless the dose got too high and then they were throwing up. 

My body has strange reactions to stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Yeah , I personally know 5 people on Ozempic , my best friend and her kids and a few other people all diabetics most have tolerated it well unless the dose got too high and then they were throwing up. 

My body has strange reactions to stuff. 

I hear. I added this edit to my post:

EDIT: Friend went with the increases in dosage despite good A1C readings because she was invested in the weight loss. So the message I take from this is that the lower dosage could have helped her maintain both blood AND weight loss goals had she not kept increasing the dosages. BUT, I don't know enough to say whether that's possible.

27 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

I hear. I added this edit to my post:

Definitely if you increase the dose too much you have added issues. I ain’t that invested in weight loss that I want to just about die for it . Not worth it at that point . Losing some pounds would be good and beneficial. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

Oh wow -I did not know that the side effects issues was related to what it's used for meaning you might need increased dosage to use for weight loss. I get it more now.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, catfeeder said:

I'll second that. The body tends to adjust to whatever we try putting into it, so probably a good plan to stick to the less powerful drug and only go up a level once that stops being effective. With some luck you can hopefully get things under control through diet/metformin. Plus if you tend to have side effects, stick to what you know is okay until you have to change.

10 hours ago, Seraphim said:

yes it is overused and misused by the celebrity set and celebrity wannabes and that should be made illegal.

Irritates me as well. It's a life or death situation for some people, not a diet fad for the latest celebrity to endorse.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, ShySoul said:

I'll second that. The body tends to adjust to whatever we try putting into it, so probably a good plan to stick to the less powerful drug and only go up a level once that stops being effective. With some luck you can hopefully get things under control through diet/metformin. Plus if you tend to have side effects, stick to what you know is okay until you have to change.

Irritates me as well. It's a life or death situation for some people, not a diet fad for the latest celebrity to endorse.

For sure; I want to stick with what is less intense. I believe you can go as high as 2000 mg a day on metformin. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 2:48 PM, Seraphim said:

For sure; I want to stick with what is less intense. I believe you can go as high as 2000 mg a day on metformin. 

How goes it with the metformin? 

I take 2000 mg per day myself (total, it's two doses of 1000 mg) and my labs are great, no diabetes or pre-diabetes here. 

• Like 1