Making a decision… diabetic meds

Morning Seraphim! 

I hope you were able to come to a decision? I know you read up on everything and always inform yourself with the facts! 

I know nothing on this apart from all the Ozempic celebrity weight loss crazes. People want that “magic pill” - I don’t think there is such a thing without any side affects.

All I can take from all of this, especially here in the UK with our healthcare system grinding to a snails pace, is that it is more important than ever to look after your health and well being and, be preventative. I understand you have had trials and tribulations in your life most of us couldn’t have handled - this, I feel, takes a toll on the body and its health. 

I hope you are finding time to rest and take care of yourself! You do a lot for other people, I always think you deserve some time set aside for a pamper! Whether that be a walk you like to go on, a nap, a nice meal cooked by someone else(!) or just, relaxing in general! 

Hope you feel better x

• Thanks 1

Sorry I forgot to update everyone ! He was so impressed with my numbers he said I didn’t need to layer anything else. I just need to say on the 1000 mg of Metformin daily and keep up with what I am doing that changes the numbers and he will see me in May. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
49 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Sorry I forgot to update everyone ! He was so impressed with my numbers he said I didn’t need to layer anything else. I just need to say on the 1000 mg of Metformin daily and keep up with what I am doing that changes the numbers and he will see me in May. 

Excellent!!!

Well done Seraphim that ain’t no easy feat! 

x

On 1/21/2024 at 4:18 PM, Seraphim said:

Yeah , I personally know 5 people on Ozempic , my best friend and her kids and a few other people all diabetics most have tolerated it well unless the dose got too high and then they were throwing up. 

My body has strange reactions to stuff. 

Update, my friend went off Ozempic because even lowering the dose to the lowest didn’t make the problems stop. I guess once her body started reacting to the higher dose, that was it, she couldn’t tolerate it anymore. She’s been feeling fabulous for over a month now, but the day after we spoke, I woke up to her photo of her positive Covid test. Poor woman can’t catch a break.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Update, my friend went off Ozempic because even lowering the dose to the lowest didn’t make the problems stop. I guess once her body started reacting to the higher dose, that was it, she couldn’t tolerate it anymore. She’s been feeling fabulous for over a month now, but the day after we spoke, I woke up to her photo of her positive Covid test. Poor woman can’t catch a break.

Definitely not all medications work for everyone. I am glad she is doing better from the medications. Too bad about the Covid. Hopefully she gets better soon.

I definitely didn’t want Invokana as Invokana  has a chance of necrotizing  fasciitis. No thanks. Plus it is like $900 a month. 

On 2/11/2024 at 5:08 PM, Seraphim said:

Definitely not all medications work for everyone. I am glad she is doing better from the medications. Too bad about the Covid. Hopefully she gets better soon.

I definitely didn’t want Invokana as Invokana  has a chance of necrotizing  fasciitis. No thanks. Plus it is like $900 a month. 

Hello, Well it’s good that you didn’t have to make a decision and could stay on the Metformin. It’s a good medication and I certainly don’t blame you about not wanting to go on Invokana. With that side effect, I wouldn’t go on that either. 

I am a diabetic as well, and was put on Ozempic last year. My A1C was over 7 and went down to 6.4 in just a few months. I also lost over 30 pounds last year along with diet of course. I didn’t have any side effects at all. I have many doctors (because I have many health conditions), and everyone of my doctors is thrilled with my low A1C and weight loss. Especially my kidney doctor as I have Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3. It’s not due to Diabetes though but from using Ibuprofen(Motrin) for so many years for chronic low back pain. Yes, sometimes opiates are safer than anti-inflammatory meds for your organs. With Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), it’s vitally important that you keep your glucose levels down and your blood pressure down as well. 

Finally, its  my opinion that I find the people that put these meds down like Ozempic and Wygovy are usually lay people, not doctors or scientists.  That has been my experience anyways. Take care, Vesna

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Vesna said:

Hello, Well it’s good that you didn’t have to make a decision and could stay on the Metformin. It’s a good medication and I certainly don’t blame you about not wanting to go on Invokana. With that side effect, I wouldn’t go on that either. 

I am a diabetic as well, and was put on Ozempic last year. My A1C was over 7 and went down to 6.4 in just a few months. I also lost over 30 pounds last year along with diet of course. I didn’t have any side effects at all. I have many doctors (because I have many health conditions), and everyone of my doctors is thrilled with my low A1C and weight loss. Especially my kidney doctor as I have Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3. It’s not due to Diabetes though but from using Ibuprofen(Motrin) for so many years for chronic low back pain. Yes, sometimes opiates are safer than anti-inflammatory meds for your organs. With Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), it’s vitally important that you keep your glucose levels down and your blood pressure down as well. 

Finally, its  my opinion that I find the people that put these meds down like Ozempic and Wygovy are usually lay people, not doctors or scientists.  That has been my experience anyways. Take care, Vesna

My dad died of kidney failure due to diabetes. 3 years ago he stopped his dialysis and chose to die.
I am so sorry you have kidney issues. I don’t as of yet, but kidney issues are in the family independent of diabetes. My dad’s was due to diabetes though. My doctor keeps a strict eye on my kidney function. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My dad died of kidney failure due to diabetes. 3 years ago he stopped his dialysis and chose to die.
I am so sorry you have kidney issues. I don’t as of yet, but kidney issues are in the family independent of diabetes. My dad’s was due to diabetes though. My doctor keeps a strict eye on my kidney function. 

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I can respect his decision though.

• Like 1
Just now, Vesna said:

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I can respect his decision though.

He effectively had no quality of life and Covid restrictions were his last straw as no one could help him anymore and he was alone. So while I respected his decision it was deeply painful. It was his life not mine. Hard to believe it will be four years in August. He wasn’t that old either. He died a few days before he turned 75. 

• Like 1
On 2/11/2024 at 7:57 AM, Seraphim said:

Yay! This is terrific news! Thanks for the update, S, and best of health you you.

• Like 1