Does it sound reasonable how much a job has messed with my head?

Ive been at my new job for less than a month, but now Im off with stress, mainly because:

1. Company's finances appear to be in bad shape
  2. The fate of the company appears to depend on my performance (a lot more pressure than I was expecting)
  3. The guy who is meant to be helping me is on a huge power trip
  4. I've sorta always had poor mental health, but have always managed to soldier on and go to work

I'd say it is #3 that has got to me the most, it was really stressing me out the way he was micromanaging me and criticising me when I've done nothing wrong, and making me out to be incompetent at my job.

What's annoying is that most of the time he would be really nice, so I wondered if it was all in my head.

This, combined with my already-poor mental health, meant it got to the point where I couldn't face going in and had to call in sick. Spoke to a doctor who prescribed me some meds.

My boss didn't seem happy about it and I felt like she thought it was a silly excuse. She then seemed a little more understanding but kept calling me and texting me asking when I was coming back.

If anything, being off sick is making me even more stressed about the whole thing.

I think I'm gonna have to leave altogether and find a new job but I worry that I'm blowing everything out of proportion

It's hard to say. I left a company I'd been with for six years that promoted me three times because the environment had become increasingly toxic. It put me in a bad place financially for a while, but about six months later I found my current job which I love. And it pays better!

I would talk to your therapist about your feelings. I did, and my therapist agreed that staying at my previous job would have had a severely bad impact on my mental health. 

Some people would recommend you stay until you find a new job, but in my case that just wasn't possible.

Are you able to do OK financially if you're unemployed for a few months? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

unfortunately we can't choose our coworkers.  There will always be unsavory personalities and depending on the job a certain amount of stress at times.

does this make this the right job for you?  Only you will know.  Just be careful you don't trade in one problem for another.

I am sorry you are going through this.  I have had a job that impacted my well being. 

• Like 1

My friend stayed with a job for years despite it taking a toll on her physical and mental health due to coworkers and politics. She really believed in the mission of the place and felt she was serving a population in need of help. She was let go suddenly and it broke her heart. Within a year she found herself in the hospital undergoing surgery, with the stress from all of this having been a major factor in her condition. 

No job is with the cost of your health. Physically, the stress, pressure and anxiety will take a toll on your body. Financially, you could end up paying more long term due to the physical issues, medication, etc. Mentally, it's not healthy to live everday in this condition. If the company is in that bad of a shape, there is realistically little that you will do long term to fix it. Problems that large are not created or solved by one person, it's generally systematic. But if you are there to always make everything better, there is less incentive for the company as a whole to change. So you may end up in an endless cycle of crisis after crisis.

It's your decision, but I would advise to make arrangements to cover yourself financially for a few months, then give a two weeks notice and leave. If you feel you need the job to cover expenses, start looking after hours. You're health will thank you later.

• Like 1

It depends. A job is supposed to be a trade off. You almost never get to do what you love, perfect work environment, salary etc all in one. You almost always lack some things. For example, when I worked in a Hotel reception, The Boss and the work environment were horrible sometimes. On top of that lots of 3rd shifts messed with my sleep and everything. But it was my first big job so the money was good at the times. And because I didnt spend much at the times(working hours were also crazy so I didnt even had that much time to go out and spend), I even managed to save good money. So I had at least some satisfaction about it. 

My point is, if you dont see any satisfaction about it, you should leave. Dont think its reasonable to put the fate of the company on somebody new. Or at least to pressure you like the fate of the company is in your hand. And you already started to drink meds because of it and duck the working hours. So, its best for you to leave and find something else in time. It doesnt reflects good on you to leave with only a month there. But always remember that your overall health is way more important then the job.

• Like 1