Scared to start anti depressants

Starting anti depressants

I had my first ever meeting with a therapist today who was really lovely and helpful, but recommended I get a referral to a doctor in order to get a prescription for anti depressants. 

She said these would be taken in conjunction with seeing her regularly, and only if it were something I was open to. 

I really think at this point in my life I need them and I’m really sick of feeling this way, but I’m very scared. I also feel a lot of shame. 

Can anyone share their experiences?

My husband has taken them for over 20 years and had good experiences with newer medications. My mom recently went on them after being depressed since her spouse died. Good experience as well. I take one and have good things to say as well. A medical doctor or psychiatrist can tell you what is right for you. 

21 minutes ago, houseofballoons said:

I had my first ever meeting with a therapist today who was really lovely and helpful, but recommended I get a referral to a doctor in order to get a prescription for anti depressants. She said these would be taken in conjunction with seeing her regularly, and only if it were something I was open to. 

That's excellent. It's good to get an evaluation of your physical and mental health and continue supportive therapy. 

With ongoing supportive therapy any effects or side effects can be discussed. Please use them as prescribed including not mixing alcohol or recreational drugs. 

Please take care of yourself and your health. You can get generic information from reputable sites and also your pharmacist and doctor. 

16 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

That's excellent. It's good to get an evaluation of your physical and mental health and continue supportive therapy. 

With ongoing supportive therapy any effects or side effects can be discussed. Please use them as prescribed including not mixing alcohol or recreational drugs. 

Please take care of yourself and your health. You can get generic information from reputable sites and also your pharmacist and doctor. 

Thank you, this was very kind.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hello! I recently went back on them. I felt like I was drowning everyday. I was being very negative towards my husband. (He doesn't care much about his health and I am bitter about it).

I was on them a long while back and after about a year or so I thought I was strong enough to not need them.. I found out I was wrong. They help me with my mood and help me cope with my negative thinking habit, and I think it is just that, a habit. I also listen to audio books about behavioral techniques.  I have accepted that I may be on these for many years...  I am more and more okay with that...

• Thanks 1