My husband hates it when I vent about social issues on social media

Concerns about your employer seeing your posts is a separate topic from your husband finding your posts "embarrassing".

If he finds them "embarrassing" because he disagrees that's one issue.  If he finds them "embarrassing" because he thinks his friends and family will see them and realize you're actually of a different ethnicity (which they should know already, right?) that's a completely different issue.

I don't post what I feel are controversial opinions, but I will post in support of things I feel passionately about.  I will not post hate filled comments about any group because I don't "hate" anyone and I don't feel that's the way to resolve issues.

Why exactly does your husband find your posts "embarrassing"?  That would be the first question I'd ask when discussing this with him.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Concerns about your employer seeing your posts is a separate topic from your husband finding your posts "embarrassing".

If he finds them "embarrassing" because he disagrees that's one issue.  If he finds them "embarrassing" because he thinks his friends and family will see them and realize you're actually of a different ethnicity (which they should know already, right?) that's a completely different issue.

I don't post what I feel are controversial opinions, but I will post in support of things I feel passionately about.  I will not post hate filled comments about any group because I don't "hate" anyone and I don't feel that's the way to resolve issues.

Why exactly does your husband find your posts "embarrassing"?  That would be the first question I'd ask when discussing this with him.

Yes that is what I meant too.  I agree he should get little to no "say" in what his wife expresses as opinions whether on social media or otherwise that is not posted to his people (and yes if he is embarrassed she can keep her social media separate and not include his friends/family, or have two accounts etc)  except in very extreme situations because he feels personally embarrassed.  The other reasons I posted about may very well be valid depending on the situation.

4 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Left or right, I don't care.  I hide it all.

I've done the same regarding hiding posts from vulgar,  distasteful social media "friends,"  (relatives, in-laws, friends and acquaintances) racists and diehard,  political and religious zealots.  In the past,  I never knew they were this way.  Even though I've hidden them,  my views of them had since changed.  They fire away on social media yet in public, they exercise well mannered, very considerate self control,  discernment and discretion.    Whenever I see them in person,  my opinions of them are skewed.

I completely agree with Batya above, and some others that are talking mostly from a perspective of trying to understand what your husband meant by embarrassing. Although I think him using the word "embarrassing" was the wrong choice of words, rather i think practicing discretion is best when it comes to this because your opinions and thought can sometimes damage your partners reputation, career, and its best to keep things to yourself sometimes. 

Nobody's silencing you, I agree that you should be able to talk freely in your home & about the things bothering you about the world, or about topics you are interesting in opening discussions about, but to be honest trust NO ONE. Because strangers who come across these videos can turn this against you and in a topic of safety, that's why privacy and practicing privacy will always win. 

I'm a passionate person too and I know what you mean, it's really refreshing to talk to friends about world issues or politics and be on the same page but then at the end of the day I have to remind myself, as I'm going to advise to YOU, that you too should think about how this is of any benefit to you? Do you want to go in being a politic activist? Is this a serious longterm goal of yours? Bc, if not, It's just always better as I said before to be private. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, electricorchid said:

I'm a passionate person too and I know what you mean, it's really refreshing to talk to friends about world issues or politics and be on the same page but then at the end of the day I have to remind myself, as I'm going to advise to YOU, that you too should think about how this is of any benefit to you? Do you want to go in being a politic activist? Is this a serious longterm goal of yours? Bc, if not, It's just always better as I said before to be private. 

And even if private, selective even then.  Sorry if this is a repeat anecdote.  In short, a friend -in person friend from long ago and a person whose profession requires keeping sensitive information confidential posted she was trying to learn more about a new concept that had to do with views on systemic racism.  I'd come across an article that I thought provided a really balanced analysis of all the issues especially for someone like her (and me!) who were new to this type of angle.  I sent her privately a link explaining just that -very short message "you might find this interesting related to what you posted". 

My mistake was she never responded so when she posted about her lunch entree or some such I commented 'looks good -by the way I sent you a private message" (without indicating what it was about). 

So she commented publicly "oh thanks -yes that looks like a great article on [goes on to describe really sensitive issue).  To her this was fine.  To me it went beyond the boundaries of keeping my private message -private.  So I decided never to send her any more messages on anything I didn't want discussed publicly.  I can see where to her it was no biggie and it also shows you don't know people's boundaries of private/public.  And that can cause harm too.