Drinking while working remotely

I know that if I give up, then I won’t be able to stop. I've already begun to notice that I can't feel like the weekend has begun until I have a beer, and this time I decidedly gave it up and felt better.
I believe that when working remotely, you can already find many reasons to be distracted by something, and alcohol will only aggravate the situation.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, boltnrun said:

I absolutely love working from home. 

I'm with you, I love it, too.

I was in my office every day for 15 years. My commute wasted time that I can actually use now to be productive. I lowered my car insurance to a recreation rate. And like you, I can dress casually, and I have half the laundry I had while dressing for the office.

I can work from anywhere, so I avoid weekend traffic by heading to the ocean or a lake or the mountains during the week and come home the next week. I can visit family and friends, pet sit or house sit.

I can return to my office when it opens at a new location in October. The commute will be longer, but I can go in to do the things that I miss in our photo and art studios. But it won't be daily!

When I did work from home, never would I have considered drinking.  Mainly because of the time of the hours; I'm not ready to be buzzed on alcohol within this frame.  But I knew of other coworkers who would regularly spike their coffee and then be fine fore most of the day.

I guess they're not exactly coworkers but people I knew in the company.  I regularly 'puff puff'd as you put it, and it never affected my work or capability or anything.

I really think the whole 'pot makes you lazy' thing is more accurately 'you smoke pot and you're lazy'.  I don't think there's a true correlation between the two.

7 hours ago, LikeWater said:

I really think the whole 'pot makes you lazy' thing is more accurately 'you smoke pot and you're lazy'.  I don't think there's a true correlation between the two.

I've never tried it. I've been around it a lot, been around people who smoked it.  I disagree.Some people are feeling lazy to begin with but that might be because of cumulative effects of smoking previously -you don't know.  I think it has different effects on different people.  

I love how everyone saved time commuting - now that I can see!

But! As a preference ladies and gents, I just could never sit in lounge wear or sweat pants. I don’t think I have ever in my whole life. If I was working from home, I would still have dressed, just like any other day. Even just being with the kids all day, I always have all my make-up on, silk scarf in hair, nice little piece of knitwear and something flattering on. I just can’t do the lounge comfort thing! I mean, smart can be casual and comfortable. But I love wearing shirts as well, on normal days. At the office I always wore a full suit, absolutely adored being smart, and high heels always, odd time I might have worn a brogue, very rarely. Pencil skirts often too, and hair out of your face so you look presentable and can concentrate, and nails - always painted, never chipped!

My life motto is turning out to be - “Times may change, but standards must remain!” 🥲

Getting a shower, perfume on, make-up on, hair done - even if I’m just heading out to the park and shops with the kids is a must. Even when I have been sick, once with pneumonia when I was pregnant with my third, I was in the doctors office with lipstick on. I even heard the receptionist say “She can’t be that bad because she has makeup on” - hunny! I’ll be wearing it on my death bed if I’m still sane and able to breath!

I gave birth to all three with lipstick still intact. I have come to realise for me, personally, there is no “off duty” - off duty seems to be when I’m asleep! And not much of that goes on either! 

x

8 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I love how everyone saved time commuting - now that I can see!

But! As a preference ladies and gents, I just could never sit in lounge wear or sweat pants. I don’t think I have ever in my whole life. If I was working from home, I would still have dressed, just like any other day. Even just being with the kids all day, I always have all my make-up on, silk scarf in hair, nice little piece of knitwear and something flattering on. I just can’t do the lounge comfort thing! I mean, smart can be casual and comfortable. But I love wearing shirts as well, on normal days. At the office I always wore a full suit, absolutely adored being smart, and high heels always, odd time I might have worn a brogue, very rarely. Pencil skirts often too, and hair out of your face so you look presentable and can concentrate, and nails - always painted, never chipped!

My life motto is turning out to be - “Times may change, but standards must remain!” 🥲

Getting a shower, perfume on, make-up on, hair done - even if I’m just heading out to the park and shops with the kids is a must. Even when I have been sick, once with pneumonia when I was pregnant with my third, I was in the doctors office with lipstick on. I even heard the receptionist say “She can’t be that bad because she has makeup on” - hunny! I’ll be wearing it on my death bed if I’m still sane and able to breath!

I gave birth to all three with lipstick still intact. I have come to realise for me, personally, there is no “off duty” - off duty seems to be when I’m asleep! And not much of that goes on either! 

x

That's great that that works for you! It's so important for a person to stick to their values about what makes them feel good even if it's outer stuff.

I avoided makeup when my son was an infant especially since I was constantly kissing him/feeding him/near him and I didn't want him near makeup that could get on him.  I do put on makeup to go on zoom meetings but very little otherwise -it gets in my eyes when I'm working out and it's irritating.  Daily showering is a must and I wash my face after working out if I'm going to interact with people at school at drop off.  I spent many years dressing up for work and many many social events.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Batya33 said:

That's great that that works for you! It's so important for a person to stick to their values about what makes them feel good even if it's outer stuff.

I avoided makeup when my son was an infant especially since I was constantly kissing him/feeding him/near him and I didn't want him near makeup that could get on him.  I do put on makeup to go on zoom meetings but very little otherwise -it gets in my eyes when I'm working out and it's irritating.  Daily showering is a must and I wash my face after working out if I'm going to interact with people at school at drop off.  I spent many years dressing up for work and many many social events.  

Definitely Batya!

It is actually a coping mechanism, makes me feel awake and “ready for anything” - getting dressed that is! 

Yes, the kids constantly have lipstick pout marks on their cheeks - LOL! Or smell of my perfume when I come to wash their clothes.

I have a shower on a morning and a bath on an evening, always. I can hardly think of a time I haven’t. I do most my quiet alone time and thinking in the bath. I even like “dressing for bed”! 

I create little routines around everything! 

I like having the house constantly clean and presentable as well, because I am very social and love and encourage random drop ins. My door is always open! So I just like to be on! That’s me. I have off days but never a day when I have never gotten washed, dressed, face on. Never. 

The day that comes is the day something will be really, really wrong!

But as you say, each to their own. I would never impose my own standards on anyone else. It’s just what works for me. If you like yoga pants all day and not washing then, Y’know what, who am I to judge? I just wouldn’t do it but I honestly don’t care if anyone does!

My poor kids are showered morning and bathed in a night though! 🤪 They never slob around meaning look sticky or with food left on their bib!

x

I basically never wear makeup. The rare exceptions are if I'm going into the office to work or to an important event like my kids' college graduations. And by makeup I mean face powder, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner and maybe mascara. And some lip balm. No foundation, no blush, no concealer, no false eyelashes. I'm always bemused by the makeup regimens of some women! My best friend took 15 minutes and three products just to do her eyebrows! I was flabbergasted! If I put on makeup it takes me ten minutes tops for the entire thing lol.

However, my aforementioned best friend has terrible skin. It's scarred and pitted from all the makeup she's caked on it over the years. She'll get a breakout, so she puts even more makeup over it to try to hide it, which irritates it even more! I advised her to just go without makeup for an entire month to allow her skin to heal and she said "Nooooo, I can't do that!!" She also wears three to four inch heels all the time and has the worst hammer toes you've ever seen. I wear boots or wedge sandals if I'm dressing up. Very rarely, pumps. But no four inch strappy sandals for me! I always tease her that people think I'm some homeless woman she picked up because she's always dressed to the nines and I'm in athleisure or cotton pants and a flowy top. Opposites attract in friends, I guess! 

I never, ever have to be on camera for my work meetings, thankfully. I'm clean and neat and my hair is fixed and I am not in my bathrobe or ratty clothes but I would still rather not. And I definitely have not been sipping on a mimosa or spiked coffee lol!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mylolita said:

But as you say, each to their own. I would never impose my own standards on anyone else. It’s just what works for me. If you like yoga pants all day and not washing then, Y’know what, who am I to judge? I just wouldn’t do it but I honestly don’t care if anyone does!

I wouldn't either. I wash my workout clothes daily.  When I work from home comfort is the top priority not what I look like if I'm not on a zoom meeting.

My son got a rash once from trying one of those sample perfume strips from a magazine -localized rash. I felt awful! He likes the scent of my shampoo. I wore perfume -not a lot! - for years pre-kids.  No more, no interest.

Our son has dry skin so bathing every day when he was young wasn't always a good idea.  My house is sanitary enough but not clean in that sense and it's a small apartment and not set up for guests. 

But our building has a pool, a business lounge, a lovely internal courtyard so those times when I've had to have people over that is where I have them over.  I have no interest at all in owning a private home, in home decor, in having my home be a place where I socialize with others.  Yesterday I met a new friend -a parent at my son's new school -for a walk in our gorgeous park after drop off.  Gorgeous is an understatement.  And huge.  It made conversation so much easier than if I'd been in her home or vice versa.  

I have a friend who is into interior decorating and just got her real estate license so now her facebook feed is full of all those posts about homes, her new business etc -there is nothing more boring to me and at the same time I totally get why others are into it.

I'm really glad you know yourself so well -it makes it so much easier just moving through life.  I think I didn't when I was your age and/or denied too much that I wanted certain things in favor of "shoulds".  I'm so much less like that now!

• Thanks 1

This reminds me of great tongue in cheek advice my mom gave me years ago -mostly as a joke! It was final exam week in grad school. I decided I'd be more productive studying at school, at the library rather than at home -my mom told me to wear sweats and a t-shirt, messy hair so my classmates would assume I'd been studying all night LOL.

I say it's out of laziness that I don't bother with makeup, but honestly it's because I can't be bothered! My skin is excellent due to not caking it with pore clogging or irritant containing makeup products. I am often mistaken for a decade younger than I am because I lack wrinkles. I have allowed my hair to go gray because I got tired of dying it. But I still get people who are shocked to hear my age (or maybe they're being polite lol). When they try to guess they always say early to mid 40s. I do moisturize my face daily and have since I was just out of my teens. My mother taught me to do that. (Side note, she also advised me to moisturize my tummy while pregnant and thanks to her advice I didn't get a single stretch mark). Of course time is doing its thing so I am certainly not comparable to a woman in her 20s or 30s. Not even close!

But more on topic, the best friend I mentioned earlier also partied a lot harder than I did. I got married right out of college and had my first child two years after getting married so I wasn't going to clubs and bars. She was doing serious hard drinking during that time. I think that ages you, although she is NOT an old looking woman. In fact, she is a beautiful woman who also looks younger than her true age. She's just fancier than I am by far lol. She stopped the hard partying in her early 30s. And I think she also seldom drinks now.

This topic has segued in a very interesting way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Bolt, for posting this in the first place - and I am a little surprised at the varying perspectives but they're really fun to read and share.  I feel the most attractive in one way post-workout when I'm in leggings and a loose fitting workout top, sweating, drained.  I feel accomplished.  I feel the most attractive in another way when I've just washed my hair and done my latest way of "doing it" which is curl gel and some scrunching with my fingers, and I feel clean and fresh.  Yet another way is when I get dressed up all fancy to go out and/or after I've gotten my hair highlighted, colored, blown out straight (lately this is like once a year lol thanks covid)

There are many ways for even an individual to feel attractive/good about their looks.  And working from home - to me that is not about feeling attractive but alert/ready/ready to be productive. I don't need to be wearing a specific thing to do that. When public speaking was a larger part of my job many years ago I felt much more confident in a suit and heels (lowish heels, not high). 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, boltnrun said:

I say it's out of laziness that I don't bother with makeup, but honestly it's because I can't be bothered! My skin is excellent due to not caking it with pore clogging or irritant containing makeup products. I am often mistaken for a decade younger than I am because I lack wrinkles. I have allowed my hair to go gray because I got tired of dying it. But I still get people who are shocked to hear my age (or maybe they're being polite lol). When they try to guess they always say early to mid 40s. I do moisturize my face daily and have since I was just out of my teens. My mother taught me to do that. (Side note, she also advised me to moisturize my tummy while pregnant and thanks to her advice I didn't get a single stretch mark). Of course time is doing its thing so I am certainly not comparable to a woman in her 20s or 30s. Not even close!

But more on topic, the best friend I mentioned earlier also partied a lot harder than I did. I got married right out of college and had my first child two years after getting married so I wasn't going to clubs and bars. She was doing serious hard drinking during that time. I think that ages you, although she is NOT an old looking woman. In fact, she is a beautiful woman who also looks younger than her true age. She's just fancier than I am by far lol. She stopped the hard partying in her early 30s. And I think she also seldom drinks now.

This topic has segued in a very interesting way!

Yes of course!

I think it might be misleading when I say I like to get dolled up that I trowel on the make-up! I haven’t worn any foundation for a decade! I am part French so my style is, natural! But with a red lip! So maybe an “undone glamour” if I had to label what I try to go for! But yes, never bare faced completely. And even when I “work from home” as a mama! I still need to look put together for me, no one else, and, I could never drink on the job so to speak like mentioned with Seraphim - but I have had a glass of wine with a friend, 4pm, on a play date - no biggie, just not a regular thing!

I’m not comfortable doing my “work” in sweats but that’s not to say it’s wrong at all - just, I can’t focus when I don’t feel pulled together. I think Batya your “pulled together” is having done your exercise, or Bolt, it means having your walk. Mine is, house as neat as it can be and so the same for myself, then I can handle the day!

Or, my working day, whatever that is as a stay at home mum!

x

Late to this one. My short answer, reverting back from the wonderful tangents to the thread's core question: Yes, I'll occasionally have a drink during work hours. 

Long answer: I'm self-employed in a creative field, have worked from home for most of my life, with really no set hours or traditional structure. No calls with employees or co-workers, except on rare occasions. Not really much contact with who I work for, save for "Here it is—let me know what it needs" when deadline arrives. As bolt described herself earlier as a rule follower, I'd say I'm an inveterate rule questioner—and, as such, find a sense of rootedness in being able to create my own rules.  

Per that: Glass of wine at lunch? It's a thing I enjoy on occasion. Out for cocktails and feel like working after? It's a thing that sometimes happens. A mimosa on a Wednesday? Not frequent, but not unheard of, since my Wednesdays can sometimes be interchangeable with Saturdays. A spritz under the lemon tree out back on a Thursday afternoon while I look over the day's work? Sure, if the mood strikes. I had a project with an organization on the other side of the world during much of Covid, which meant occasional calls between 8-10 pm. Some of those, I'll shamelessly admit, had been preceded by red wine at dinner.

I hope this doesn't present a portrait of someone spending most days with a light buzz on. That's hardly the case. I just don't have really firm boundaries between work and non-work, though I do think there's a difference between "having a drink" and "drinking," which is to say that if someone wants to have a glass of wine at lunch, even on a work day, I don't see an issue with that, excepting professions where hand-eye/motor stuff is imperative. I wouldn't mind learning that my accountant sipped a glass of pinot before finishing my taxes, for instance, but I'd be livid to learn a pilot did before flying me to Paris.

When I hear about people posting this on social media, something I've not personally seen, my brain goes to a similar place as it did when I got to college, where the primary appeal of booze, aside from the buzz, seemed to be the thrill of trespass. I wonder what would happen—with college kids, with social media sippers—if we removed that stigma. 

• Like 1

I do keep my home neat as a pin and very clean. As I mentioned, not dressing corporate doesn't mean I'm in a bathrobe or in dirty, torn sweatpants and a shirt with a torn collar and a stain down the front. Today I am wearing a white t-shirt and black shorts. I showered before dressing and shampooed and pinned my hair back neatly. I also make my bed as soon as I get up in the morning. Everything is put away (I HATE clutter lol). When people come over they always ask "Does anyone actually live here?" because everything is neat and put away.

That's how I am personally, but also how I work. I want a neat desk, I don't have a zillion docs on my computer desktop and I read and file all my emails. My inbox only has things I'm actively working on in it.

And that's another reason why I don't drink during work hours. Drinking tends to make me drowsy and I absolutely cannot be drowsy and be effective in my job.

Always interesting to read different perspectives! That's what makes the world go round, IMO. Life would be boring if everyone did everything the exact same way.

3 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Thanks, Bolt, for posting this in the first place - and I am a little surprised at the varying perspectives but they're really fun to read and share.  I feel the most attractive in one way post-workout when I'm in leggings and a loose fitting workout top, sweating, drained.  I feel accomplished.  I feel the most attractive in another way when I've just washed my hair and done my latest way of "doing it" which is curl gel and some scrunching with my fingers, and I feel clean and fresh.  Yet another way is when I get dressed up all fancy to go out and/or after I've gotten my hair highlighted, colored, blown out straight (lately this is like once a year lol thanks covid)

There are many ways for even an individual to feel attractive/good about their looks.  And working from home - to me that is not about feeling attractive but alert/ready/ready to be productive. I don't need to be wearing a specific thing to do that. When public speaking was a larger part of my job many years ago I felt much more confident in a suit and heels (lowish heels, not high). 

This is a good point Batya!

Because getting showered and enjoying dressing and being creative with dressing, and applying make-up and doing my hair, makes me feel awake and ready to face the day! I also enjoy it so much! It’s almost a creative thing for me, or another way of expressing myself! So I guess that’s my form of “meditation and work prep and get it out of my system” rolled into one!

I actually miss the formality of my old office! For someone so unstructured inside my brain(!), I enjoyed the clear cut lines. There was definitely an unspoken dress code. Plus, you can’t turn up in court in a t-shirt! No matter how good a Barrister you are! It was a respect thing, for the institution, and, I was front of house at the office, and clients coming for appointments and meetings wanted a crisp show of efficiency and a bit of glamour, because I think they wanted to choose the best people to represent them (the office dealt with big corporate construction adjudications and disputes) and I guess well, walking into a really nice marble floored office to face a big desk and people suited and booted makes a good impression, rather than your lawyer walking out in flip flops and shorts 🤣 It’s just one of those things I guess. Image was 9 10ths of the law there. What’s the old phase? They don’t buy the product, they buy me? Something like that. There was no way you could of had an off day working there. You could have almost argued the whole set up was sexist. HR even used to say after an interview “she wasn’t attractive enough” now, could you imagine that? That was said between themselves but, firstly, how unprofessional but secondly, don’t beat around the bush will you! It was all about image for them. They were out to impress and snag clients by being completely showy and advertising “we are the best, we are worth the large sums of money you will give us!”

Other office jobs or environments, I can see why they lent a hand to casual working. I can also see why the memes of people taking zoom calls wearing pyjamas from the waist down and slippers on their feet came about!

Weirdly, I would always rather work at the office and separate work from home life as long as I was working in a non-creative field. If it’s creative, I think working solo and from home is almost a must! I understand people having long traffic filled commutes, not good. But, I actually loved my drive to and from work as well! It was always a meditative little experience for me to psyche myself up going there, and unwind going back! 

Anyway, I have been “working from home” for 6 years now and of course, all my week days blur into one. I don’t know whether it’s Wednesday, Friday, or Monday. But yes, personally, no sweatpants, and sadly, no wine. Although sometimes I would appreciate a drink! I feel like if I started that, I just wouldn’t stop!!!

And PS! Thank you Batya! I have always known what I wanted! From about, 9 years old - LOL! But to know yourself is a life long adventure! I have found, and this may be too much of a generalisation, but people who are into aesthetics in general, or ambience of environments, however you want to put it - aka, it’s very important to them, their interior, their surroundings, their appearance, or they take pleasure in dressing, or “dressing a room” or, pleasure in material things and objects, are usually very visual people. It’s just something I have noticed. I’m all visual! I am not very logical. I’m all feeling and visual. So my interior, the space I am in, matters hugely too me. It affects my mood! I think this can be taken as a shallow pursuit, or one without any substance or body, but, it has it’s own little merits I guess, along with its fall backs! 

x

2 hours ago, bluecastle said:

Late to this one. My short answer, reverting back from the wonderful tangents to the thread's core question: Yes, I'll occasionally have a drink during work hours. 

Long answer: I'm self-employed in a creative field, have worked from home for most of my life, with really no set hours or traditional structure. No calls with employees or co-workers, except on rare occasions. Not really much contact with who I work for, save for "Here it is—let me know what it needs" when deadline arrives. As bolt described herself earlier as a rule follower, I'd say I'm an inveterate rule questioner—and, as such, find a sense of rootedness in being able to create my own rules.  

Per that: Glass of wine at lunch? It's a thing I enjoy on occasion. Out for cocktails and feel like working after? It's a thing that sometimes happens. A mimosa on a Wednesday? Not frequent, but not unheard of, since my Wednesdays can sometimes be interchangeable with Saturdays. A spritz under the lemon tree out back on a Thursday afternoon while I look over the day's work? Sure, if the mood strikes. I had a project with an organization on the other side of the world during much of Covid, which meant occasional calls between 8-10 pm. Some of those, I'll shamelessly admit, had been preceded by red wine at dinner.

I hope this doesn't present a portrait of someone spending most days with a light buzz on. That's hardly the case. I just don't have really firm boundaries between work and non-work, though I do think there's a difference between "having a drink" and "drinking," which is to say that if someone wants to have a glass of wine at lunch, even on a work day, I don't see an issue with that, excepting professions where hand-eye/motor stuff is imperative. I wouldn't mind learning that my accountant sipped a glass of pinot before finishing my taxes, for instance, but I'd be livid to learn a pilot did before flying me to Paris.

When I hear about people posting this on social media, something I've not personally seen, my brain goes to a similar place as it did when I got to college, where the primary appeal of booze, aside from the buzz, seemed to be the thrill of trespass. I wonder what would happen—with college kids, with social media sippers—if we removed that stigma. 

Blue!

Interesting points! Now I’m nosey! Can I ask roughly what it is you do? 

Sounds AWESOME! 

x

4 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Can I also be nosy Batya and ask what type of public speaking you did for your job?

Again, very interesting! Very curious! How cool!

x

1 hour ago, bluecastle said:

... college, where the primary appeal of booze, aside from the buzz, seemed to be the thrill of trespass. I wonder what would happen—with college kids, with social media sippers—if we removed that stigma. 

Good point. Part of what I enjoy most about having a drink is that it feels special. It elevates a given meal or conversation to a celebration for me.

I get that plenty of people don't 'need' a drink to feel that way, just as I don't need a piece of birthday cake to celebrate a person. But some things just feel good to each of us in a very personal way.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I've never tried it. I've been around it a lot, been around people who smoked it.  I disagree.Some people are feeling lazy to begin with but that might be because of cumulative effects of smoking previously -you don't know.  I think it has different effects on different people.  

Well I have induldged in it, and been around it for a long time.  In my view, pot=laziness just isn't true.  You were lazy to begin with and pot exasperated that effect.  But I know several people who enjoy this that aren't the least bit lazy.

And it IS hard to know the truth, because pot has been propaganda for so long that old people still think it's the devil.  It's hard to hear any truth if you're too far gone.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, LikeWater said:

Well I have induldged in it, and been around it for a long time.  In my view, pot=laziness just isn't true.  You were lazy to begin with and pot exasperated that effect.  But I know several people who enjoy this that aren't the least bit lazy.

And it IS hard to know the truth, because pot has been propaganda for so long that old people still think it's the devil.  It's hard to hear any truth if you're too far gone.

Totally fine- we can agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, LikeWater said:

I agree with this 100%.

I would LOVE for someone who has no issue with alcohol, but looks down on Marijuana, to be able to explain what the difference is to me.

I'm in Canada, where pot has been legal since 2018.

That means that both Marijuana and Alcohol are LEGAL, MIND-ALTERING SUBSTANCES.

So why is alcohol considered socially acceptable and Marijuana still has such a stigma around it?

7 minutes ago, Wonderstruck said:

I agree with this 100%.

I would LOVE for someone who has no issue with alcohol, but looks down on Marijuana, to be able to explain what the difference is to me.

I'm in Canada, where pot has been legal since 2018.

That means that both Marijuana and Alcohol are LEGAL, MIND-ALTERING SUBSTANCES.

So why is alcohol considered socially acceptable and Marijuana still has such a stigma around it?

To me getting drunk while working is not acceptable.  Drinking to excess where you put your life or others at risk (like DUI, etc) is not acceptable at all.  I don't find that socially acceptable at all.  In certain places -I can't say which -just don't know - it is totally acceptable to smoke pot - either for recreation and/or medicinal purposes.  I personally love that marijuana is supposed to help people going through chemo (meaning I am not a medical person -I know of people who smoke while going through chemo -or ingest it - or some such and it helps them and that's wonderful!).

Many years ago I had to work on a Sunday and a junior person was assigned to come in and help me.  She was assigned in advance.  She chose to get drunk the night before and party all night.  She arrived at work hungover.  I didn't know this -I thought she was sick and asked if she was ok so she told me she was hungover.  The wor required intense attention to detail and focus and we were under deadline.  I thought it was completely UNACCEPTABLE that she knew she had to work all day on this project and chose to drink so much the night before that she was hungover.  She wasn't drunk of course but -same thing  - drinking alcohol to the extent it impairs your ability to function at work.  

1 minute ago, Batya33 said:

To me getting drunk while working is not acceptable.  Drinking to excess where you put your life or others at risk (like DUI, etc) is not acceptable at all.  I don't find that socially acceptable at all.  In certain places -I can't say which -just don't know - it is totally acceptable to smoke pot - either for recreation and/or medicinal purposes.  I personally love that marijuana is supposed to help people going through chemo (meaning I am not a medical person -I know of people who smoke while going through chemo -or ingest it - or some such and it helps them and that's wonderful!).

Okay, it sounds like you and I are on the same page, but I can't tell, lol.

What I meant by "socially acceptable" is that there are people who look down on people who smoke pot recreationally, but have no issue with people who consume alcohol recreationally, such as going home after work and having a relaxing glass of wine, or having drinks out with friends at a restaurant.

So, my question to THOSE people is: What's the difference? Why do you look down on Marijuana, but not alcohol, if they are both legal, mind-altering substances?

Alcohol, in general, is still considered more socially acceptable to consume, and I don't understand why.

2 minutes ago, Wonderstruck said:

Okay, it sounds like you and I are on the same page, but I can't tell, lol.

What I meant by "socially acceptable" is that there are people who look down on people who smoke pot recreationally, but have no issue with people who consume alcohol recreationally, such as going home after work and having a relaxing glass of wine, or having drinks out with friends at a restaurant.

So, my question to THOSE people is: What's the difference? Why do you look down on Marijuana, but not alcohol, if they are both legal, mind-altering substances?

Alcohol, in general, is still considered more socially acceptable to consume, and I don't understand why.

I'm really not interested in discussing it in this format -sorry! You of course have asked a question many have and many will continue to I'm sure.  Also I've never tried pot, never will, do not want my son to try it if I have a choice or any illegal drug (never tried any illegal drug) and I've never been drunk.  So from a personal perspective -well, I have nothing to contribute.  Not interested in getting into a discussion on my values about illegal drugs and recreational use of marijuana, etc.  But you've posted your question, it seems to be off topic although I certainly went off topic - and maybe others want to discuss!

• Like 1