Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Chapter 3

dias

I am getting better at this. Very slowly but steadily. I am still learning how to structure the video/presentation. My editing skills were non-existent but I learned how to create a simple thumbnail. It does make a difference. I created a more professional YouTube banner too (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTylBUbxhVToWUpL8LoVsHA if you want to check it out!!! - Yes I am hustling for subscribers lol)

On 2/24/2023 at 5:13 PM, mylolita said:

My Great Grandfather was a sniper in WW2 - he was stationed out in France and kept a beautifully written journal the whole time he was out there. It’s in a museum now

This is really cool. Is it on display? I assume you visited the museum and read it!!! So cool!!

On 2/24/2023 at 5:13 PM, mylolita said:

Apparently they work in teams and you have one that actually does the shooting because he has the eye for it and another works out the maths of it like distance wind projection conditions all the rest!

Yes there so many parameters to take into consideration for long shots. On the internet it says the longest shot recorded was 2.14 miles by a Canadian. This is freakin nuts. 2+ miles, imagine that, holy f*ck. 

The instructor told me he hit a target from almost 1.2 kilometers away but who knows. I suspect they are like fishermen. They catch a 1 kg fish and every time they iterate the story, the fish becomes heavier by 0.5 kg lol. 5 years later it is the infamous Moby ***.

But damn, guns are so awesome, especially rifles, I love them. I am back in Greece, unfortunately here it is like in the UK, things are very strict with guns, not many shooting ranges around and in most of them they use airguns. Airguns....like we are 5 years old. Jeez....

My hardcore libertarian heart longs for a first amendment worldwide. Although even If I could buy a gun I would keep it at least 30 minutes drive away so that if I would ever get so mad, my anger would dissipate until I get there. Guns are awesome but it's better not to have them when you have a temper (like me).

8 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Do you mean a Second Amendment? 😁😉

The First Amendment is nice and all... but it doesn't give anyone the right to bear arms!

Yes probably hahaha 😆 first, second, potayto, potahto lol. I don't remember very well or I read the wrong source 🤔 But you got the idea lol

• Haha 1
On 3/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, dias said:

This is really cool. Is it on display? I assume you visited the museum and read it!!! So cool!!

Yes there so many parameters to take into consideration for long shots. On the internet it says the longest shot recorded was 2.14 miles by a Canadian. This is freakin nuts. 2+ miles, imagine that, holy f*ck. 

The instructor told me he hit a target from almost 1.2 kilometers away but who knows. I suspect they are like fishermen. They catch a 1 kg fish and every time they iterate the story, the fish becomes heavier by 0.5 kg lol. 5 years later it is the infamous Moby ***.

But damn, guns are so awesome, especially rifles, I love them. I am back in Greece, unfortunately here it is like in the UK, things are very strict with guns, not many shooting ranges around and in most of them they use airguns. Airguns....like we are 5 years old. Jeez....

My hardcore libertarian heart longs for a first amendment worldwide. Although even If I could buy a gun I would keep it at least 30 minutes drive away so that if I would ever get so mad, my anger would dissipate until I get there. Guns are awesome but it's better not to have them when you have a temper (like me).

Evvvvvvvening Dias!!!

And y'know what, I remember my Mum saying "I have a journal your Great Grandfather wrote while he was out in France..." and do you want to read it before it is donated to the museum? (My Mums eldest sister, who is 15 years her junior, was donating the original but she kept a photocopy of each page for herself I think!) I read it in my Dads little study but didn't fully appreciate it at the time. I was about 16, and had other things on my mind, like my part time jobs and how my hair looked and what was happening at the weekend and what new things had they got in at the vintage store in town. I read it, was in awe, but found it difficult and didn't pay the time it needed. I really, desperately want to read it again! The handwriting was very ornate and I found it hard to make out in places, and the actual journal was in quite bad nick as it had been carted around through God knows what for a year.

I need to ask my Mum exactly where it ended up. I can't believe it would still be on display after all this time? Museums often change things up quite a lot. My aunty is probably the best bet!

And Dias! Youtube has the interview with that guy!!! American Sniper the movie was based on him? Is that right? Or am I thinking of someone else? The guy was on a tour in Iraq? 

LOL! Oh God, you're so on the money about the fish! I think, we all do that to some extent - HA! Our tiddlers become whales! For the bad and the good! Nothing like those rose tinted glasses huh!

And, I can't believe you have a temper! You seem too chill! (Or is that just the deception of your accent?!) 

I'm jealous Dias because I have two main things on my list to do/try and one is sky dive and the other is shoot a gun! So I'm pretty envious right now! I'd also love to take some flight lessons but, my maths is THE WORST and I don't think anyone in their right mind should have me in control of a plane so, maybe just sit there and watch but, I'd love to try. Go karting as well, always wanted to do that! And ride one of those bucking bronco bulls?! Get drunk and get on one? Throw up after, probably! LOL! You're reminding me of my list it's pretty big actually!

Good luck with the subscribers by the way! I'd subscribe if I had a YouTube account but I don't! I clicked Dias but it was like Chinese water torture too my illogical brain so I had to turn you off after 2 seconds. I'm so sorry, I'm too dumb for it, and it's niche, y'know? LOL!!!

All the best as per,

x

• Like 1

I am taking all my annual leave in May. I am visiting my brother in Atlanta, I just booked the tickets. Quite pricey I would say (noodles for the rest of the year lol), 2K Euros only for the tickets. I am certainly visiting cities near Atlanta, Nashville for sure. I reckon I need 5K easily for three weeks, I want to do some activities and visit places.

Anyone from the area to throw some good suggestions?

PS. I did have views and a subscriber or two from the US in my last video that I posted here so whoever he/she was, thanks 🙂

• Like 1
On 3/6/2023 at 10:05 PM, mylolita said:

I need to ask my Mum exactly where it ended up. I can't believe it would still be on display after all this time? Museums often change things up quite a lot. My aunty is probably the best bet!

it wouldn't hurt asking 🙂

And Dias! Youtube has the interview with that guy!!! American Sniper the movie was based on him? Is that right? Or am I thinking of someone else? The guy was on a tour in Iraq? 

I remember this film. Big fan of the movie!! But I think it's a different person. Both during tours in Iraq but one is American and the one google mentions is Canadian. So I am guessing different people??

And, I can't believe you have a temper! You seem too chill! (Or is that just the deception of your accent?!)

Actually I am pretty chilled person 99% of the time. I have one trigger though which make me see red in a split second. That is, trying to intimidate me in some form (yelling at me etc etc). Other than this, yes I am chilled and pleasant most of the time. 

And ride one of those bucking bronco bulls?! Get drunk and get on one? Throw up after, probably! 

Oh boy, I would love to try this one, it would be so much fun!

On 3/11/2023 at 2:14 AM, dias said:

I am taking all my annual leave in May. I am visiting my brother in Atlanta, I just booked the tickets. Quite pricey I would say (noodles for the rest of the year lol), 2K Euros only for the tickets. I am certainly visiting cities near Atlanta, Nashville for sure. I reckon I need 5K easily for three weeks, I want to do some activities and visit places.

Anyone from the area to throw some good suggestions?

PS. I did have views and a subscriber or two from the US in my last video that I posted here so whoever he/she was, thanks 🙂

That sounds exciting!

I don't know much about Atlanta or Nashville. I've only been to the airport at Atlanta for connecting flights, and I've always had to make a mad dash from one side of the airport to the other. So, not much time to experience anything (if one even can experience a place through it's airport).

I've never been to Nashville, but I'd like to go one day. It looks like Nashville is about 4 hours away from Atlanta. If you're willing to put that amount of time into a cartrip, you might also want to check out Charleston, SC and/or Savannah, GA. Hilton Head and Bluffton SC are nice vacation destinations, but I'm not sure how much time you have to spend in a given area. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jibralta said:

I think Asheville, North Carolina is also within that same radius. I haven't been there, but I hear it's a pretty cool place.

I binge-watched all the touristic videos about cities in Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama. There are so many options I haven't decided. As always, I will decide on the fly while I am there lol. I certainly want to visit Nashville and Savannah, especially Savannah, it seems really pretty and it's by the coast lol. 

But I can also fly to New Orleans at some point. I don't know but I believe local flights in the US are quite quick. Hmmm I don't know yet. I don't want to visit too many places and actually don't have enough time to get a feeling of the place. It's better to visit less places but enjoy my time there more without haste. 

2 minutes ago, dias said:

I don't know but I believe local fights in the US are quite quick.

I'm not sure about that. I think it depends on where you're travelling. Sometimes flying to a geographically close place can be extremely expensive. But I also remember visiting my dad in Arizona and him telling me that it was easy and cheap to hop on a plane to a neighboring state out there. That was like 15 years ago, though.

2 minutes ago, dias said:

I don't want to visit too many places and actually don't have enough time to get a feeling of the place. It's better to visit less places but enjoy your time there more without haste. 

I agree.

• Thanks 1

I hosted a meetup group event yesterday evening for drinks in the city center. My friend in the UK who used to organize one of those in London always encouraged me to do it but I never did because I am not really a person who likes organizing events. Quite the opposite actually. The last thing I did that was outside of my comfort zone was the YouTube channel so I thought it's time to step outside of my comfort zone once again.

I didn't expect anyone to show up to be honest. Or at least nobody normal since you don't know who could come. However, 6 people showed up, a German girl, two British, a Spanish woman, a guy from Georgia, and a Greek lady. They all seemed pretty normal and well educated (I mean we only spent 3 hours together so I don't know how normal they actually are but hey if they can behave decently for the event it's cool with me). We had a good time, they thanked me multiple times for the event. I thought "well I really didn't do anything except posting on the website and showing up". I chose an Irish pub for the event.

I would probably do it again. Of course, at some point I would need to spend time with weirdos or people who I won't click with at all but I guess it's part of the game. 

• Like 1
On 3/26/2023 at 10:18 PM, dias said:

Of course, at some point I would need to spend time with weirdos or people who I won't click with at all but I guess it's part of the game. 

Well, tonight was the time. I didn't expect many but nobody showed up except a weirdo. I am not getting discouraged though, I need to persist and be consistent. 

• Like 1

I need to make a good plan for this trip in the US. There are so many things to do I can't decide. I have to decide otherwise I will end up not doing much lol. It's so freakin difficult to choose, 3 weeks for such a big country is nothing. I would need years to explore it properly lol. Damn, I need to pick places and activities beforehand. 

1 hour ago, dias said:

I need to make a good plan for this trip in the US. There are so many things to do I can't decide. I have to decide otherwise I will end up not doing much lol. It's so freakin difficult to choose, 3 weeks for such a big country is nothing. I would need years to explore it properly lol. Damn, I need to pick places and activities beforehand. 

I think you should choose quality over quantity. Pick just one or two places, maybe three, and give yourself time to be immersed. 

• Like 1

I matched with a girl on Bumble, we texted and called each other for about 2 months. She was eager to call me almost every day to have "phone sex" or whatever this is called but not very eager to meet. She traveled outside of Greece for a few weeks, she had an excuse alright but when she came back she wasn't too eager to meet and she didn't have any excuses this time as she lives 100 meters away. 

I suspected her photos might be old and she gained a lot of weight since then. Unfortunately, I was right. We met for a coffee. On the photos she was a bit overweight which is not my preference but an interesting personality could compensate for that. However, she has gained a ton of weight. She says it's the antidepressants that caused her to put so much weight. It might be the case, I have heard the same from other people too (which makes me think if these drugs do in fact work or they are causing a slow death from obesity and health problems - dunno). 

I couldn't see her in a sexual way but I was as polite and pleasant as I could be. She keeps texting me. She texted me today to go to her house. I replied I am tired. I told her she could come with me for a walk on Sunday if she wants. She said yes. I hope she did get the message that I am not interested in her. We can hangout from time to time, I don't mind, but this is it. I hope I won't have to spell it out for her although she is perceptive so hopefully she knows.  

4 hours ago, dias said:

I hope she did get the message that I am not interested in her. We can hangout from time to time, I don't mind, but this is it. I hope I won't have to spell it out for her although she is perceptive so hopefully she knows.  

I guess you'll find out one way or another!

It sucks when people misrepresent themselves like that. But I think a big clue is when they are reluctant to meet. It doesn't necessarily mean that they don't look like their pictures, but it usually means that something is off. 

21 hours ago, Jibralta said:

it usually means that something is off. 

I agree! I knew it wasn't a good sign but I thought what the heck...Anyway, she texted me she has her period so she won't come tomorrow. I think she got it. Although I believe she would text me again pretty soon....

Lately I have been feeling much better in general. There are always some mishaps happening but I am getting back my old self. It might be the upcoming summer. It might be I will be 50% on a project which utilizes the latest technologies and I will be the first developer in the company working with those. It might be that I am excited about my trip to the US. It might be with the fact I got offered this good job in Liverpool and although I rejected it, it really made me feel better. Probably it's a combination of all the above. 

One thing I know for sure. I am starting to have this feeling of anticipation that the future will be better than the present. It's the most optimistic feeling I have experienced in life and I feel it when I am in a good state of mind. 

• Like 2