UK members and heat wave

Thank you for your concern Seraphim!

Not happened for us here yet… where I am anyway! London and the South always get it the hottest. If the weather forecast is right (it is often quite wrong!) my end of the country will not get as hot as the South but will have a longer time warmer. 

Hottest I have ever experienced was the Egyptian desert going to Cairo Museum - that reached 42C and everyone just jumped from air conditioned place to air conditioned place as fast as they could!

No air con here for me anyway, just a couple of fans! I can’t take the heat so just hoping it’s a flop and not all that insane - at our end, anyway! Husband loves the heat and will be away working in London and even further south down in Cornwall when the heatwave is supposed to hit. I’ll be at home with the kids probably trying to not loose my mind and get cranky! 

Any tips for keeping cool?

x

4 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Not happened for us here yet… where I am anyway! London and the South always get it the hottest. If the weather forecast is right (it is often quite wrong!) my end of the country will not get as hot as the South but will have a longer time warmer. 

Hottest I have ever experienced was the Egyptian desert going to Cairo Museum - that reached 42C and everyone just jumped from air conditioned place to air conditioned place as fast as they could!

No air con here for me anyway, just a couple of fans! I can’t take the heat so just hoping it’s a flop and not all that insane - at our end, anyway! Husband loves the heat and will be away working in London and even further south down in Cornwall when the heatwave is supposed to hit. I’ll be at home with the kids probably trying to not loose my mind and get cranky! 

x

In the water as much as possible and drink lots of water. Cold wet towels on the back of the neck. Stay in shade. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, mylolita said:

x

In North America most people have AC but those without unfortunately pass away sometimes in heatwaves, especially the elderly. Usually we open up cooling stations. It is also good to check on elderly neighbours and relatives to make sure they are OK. 

When we were in the South of France everyone had these gorgeous wooden shutters they would close for most of the day to keep their house cool!

We also used to have wooden shutters in our old Georgian town house but no longer there - would love to eventually get a carpenter to fit some in the new house but it’s always so expensive and finding someone who can do a “proper job” is quite rare these days!

x

45 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

In Arizona it's115F (46C). However they are built for it and everything is airconditioned. When more northern climates reach these temps and A/C is not the norm, it can create health problems.

How on Earth! 46C!!!!!! 

No air conditioning here mostly only in large public buildings like shopping centres. Currently in the dip if a valley in the middle of woodland and forests with a stream running through living for a month in a static home aka a glorified caravan whilst our house gets renovated… but these things heat up so easily during the day, then let it all out on a night, not the best insulation I’m thinking. Been very comfortable up to now but the idea of even early to mid 30s gives me the fear!

x

43 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

In North America most people have AC but those without unfortunately pass away sometimes in heatwaves, especially the elderly. Usually we open up cooling stations. It is also good to check on elderly neighbours and relatives to make sure they are OK. 

This is oh so sad Seraphim. I think I will mostly be staying in with the kids if it gets bad with curtains drawn for the hottest parts or shade if we do go out. 

We have to get past Tuesday for the worst of it apparently. There is something annoying about Government weather warnings… I realise you need to give people a heads up but you should see the UK news! Highly dramatic! As if by Monday we should all be engulfed in forest fires! Oh my gawd! 

I am hoping it doesn’t reach the crazy heights but maybe that is wishful thinking! 

x

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mylolita said:

This is oh so sad Seraphim. I think I will mostly be staying in with the kids if it gets bad with curtains drawn for the hottest parts or shade if we do go out. 

We have to get past Tuesday for the worst of it apparently. There is something annoying about Government weather warnings… I realise you need to give people a heads up but you should see the UK news! Highly dramatic! As if by Monday we should all be engulfed in forest fires! Oh my gawd! 

I am hoping it doesn’t reach the crazy heights but maybe that is wishful thinking! 

x

The news of your weather situation has reached my FB feed so I was a bit worried. 

Familiar with hot climate. Can only second to drink plenty of water. Dehydration is the worst. Also, slip-slop-slap some sunscreen as UV radiation damages skin.

Closing blinds and curtains or covering windows / glass doors with bed sheets helps to cool down the room. Portable fans do not cool air. I used to go to the mall with my friends, or check out some movie, just so we could cool down when it was really hot outside, hehe.

ETA: Some fabrics are more breathable than others, keep you cool for longer. Not that I've ever really cared but some of you might. As for colour choice, I wouldn't worry. Yes, dark colours absorb more heat but they soak it up.

• Thanks 1

Last year got hot - I have been pregnant 3 times in 4 years and many of them during the summers. I think last year when I was pregnant with my little girl it got to about 31 or 32C but I think it felt ten times worse because I was so heavily pregnant, my daughters Birthday is 28th August where as the other ones were winter babies!

x

3 hours ago, greendots said:

Familiar with hot climate. Can only second to drink plenty of water. Dehydration is the worst. Also, slip-slop-slap some sunscreen as UV radiation damages skin.

Closing blinds and curtains or covering windows / glass doors with bed sheets helps to cool down the room. Portable fans do not cool air. I used to go to the mall with my friends, or check out some movie, just so we could cool down when it was really hot outside, hehe.

ETA: Some fabrics are more breathable than others, keep you cool for longer. Not that I've ever really cared but some of you might. As for colour choice, I wouldn't worry. Yes, dark colours absorb more heat but they soak it up.

It’s only 16C now with a cool breeze coming off the river - we are for this month in a valley. I think it can be a heat trap but then again there is always quite a strong breeze at the mo!

Thanks for the advice! I wear linen even in the Autumn 🥹 so that is how much of a light weight I am when it comes to heat!

x

I have through the wall a/c in every room. Don't like central air. This way it's more adjustable. It's fantastic for allergy season as well as temperature and humidity control. High temps and humidity are horrible for electronics, pets, and just about everything else in the house. It generates mold and mildew formation. A simple window AC would help, even just in the bedroom and living room. 

The worst thing people do in the hotter southern states or summer is leave children and pets in vehicles. Everyday it seems someone gets arrested for child or animal abuse because of this.

They don't know that cracking the windows open doesn't prevent a vehicle to raising the temps to dangerous levels in just a few minutes? Infants, children and pets are extremely vulnerable to heat.

3 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

The worst thing people do in the hotter southern states or summer is leave children and pets in vehicles. Everyday it seems someone gets arrested for child or animal abuse because of this.

They don't know that cracking the windows open doesn't prevent a vehicle to raising the temps to dangerous levels in just a few minutes? Infants, children and pets are extremely vulnerable to heat.

I remember an absolutely heart breaking and horrendous Oprah Winfrey episode on a lady who actually forgot, if you can believe it, her 1 year old girl was in her car seat and left her there all day in high summer.

I don’t need to go into what happened. Just awful. 

My babies are napping through the worst parts of the day - 1pm till 3:30pm, that’s when they settle anyway but it’s good timing for a heatwave like this. I might let them go on longer so we can wake up later, have a later bedtime and get out later when the sun is lower and the heat less intense. Phew! 

It’s about 25C now. Someone said 27C. I don’t know whether the previous week has had  me weirdly acclimatise but it doesn’t feel bad at all. Wouldn’t like it into the 30s but I have kept the place cool and dim all day and I think that has helped.

Maybe I am over the top for this now… I rummaged through my little first aid tin box I have and in it I have electrolyte tablets which when popped into water replace fluids and hydrate you rapidly for things like, fluid loss due to maybe, not being able to get off the loo, let’s put it that way! But I think they come in handy for hot weather. I think they are used to replace fluids after heavy exercise as well, not that I do any of that! 

I also found in my little kit these self cooling gel forehead strips for children with fever to relieve it - as a comfort thing. I think they might be handy if it gets real hot on a night and they want to feel chilled. I use these facial sheet masks full of cold coconut oil and other things and after putting them in the fridge, if you sit on an evening with one of those on your face with a good book I feel chilled to the bone! A cold spa treatment! 

Maybe these weird techniques are gonna get me nowhere 🥲 We are not it extreme high temperature yet. 

No window AC @Wiseman2just a couple of fans and drape drawn and windows opened out onto the shaded areas. It just doesn’t seem worth investing in anything when we get these freak temperatures for 2 days a year. Dyson fans are pretty good. Even a fan seems like a waste when I know it will be used for a week or two then back into a cupboard somewhere but they do make you feel better 😎

x

24 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

AC totally needed in North America. In Ontario where I live it is humid and hot for many days in the summer . It can be as hot in the summer as it is cold in the winter . 

I salute your ability to get by in the extreme heat Seraphim!

It makes you wonder how people and families coped 100 years ago!

x

2 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I salute your ability to get by in the extreme heat Seraphim!

It makes you wonder how people and families coped 100 years ago!

x

For sure ! I wonder how my ancestors did it. They have been here for 400 years freezing and sweltering . I think we are just used to the extremes in temperature. 

You had asked about keeping babies and children cool when it's really hot and I work with infants in a daycare and can offer some suggestions.

Let them play with ice.  It not only will help them cool down a bit but also will give them a sensory experience.  Or you could freeze some teething toys if you're concerned about your kids chocking on a big piece of ice.  Or freeze water in Ziploc bags and let your kids play with it.  You could add toys to the freeze bags and let it be a surprise when the ice melts! Depending on ages you could make homemade ice cream.  There are a lot of recipes online. Kids love shaking the bag!  They could color on paper and then fan fold it to make their own fans to cool down!

There are lots of things you can find online to keep your kids cool.  Check out some mom blogs, they have some great ideas!

Have them wear sun hats if they will keep them on 🙂.  This will help protect their face from the sun and the UV rays.  Also sunscreen throughout the day.

One mom I know will have water play in the bathtub or shower.  That is if you can afford the water bill.  Or if you're more rural if you're well is full enough.  

That's all I can think of right now. If I think of anything I'll let you know!

• Thanks 2