Dating a colleague - yes or no…?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, absolutely not.

Combining work and dating is a very complicated mixture that can go very wrong.

Work is work. It should be a place where your focus is only about work and a pay check. 

Work brings in your paycheck, your paycheck is what pays the bills, so it's very critical to your well being.

Dating a colleague can bring potential issues. You might become distracted due to them being close by.

You may start having your emotions directed more on what they are doing, how you feel when you see them, wanting to be near them, etc. when your focus should be only about work.

If the relationship doesn't work out, then it becomes even more complicated and quite difficult.

You will be forced to still see them daily, that pain alone can be overwhelming.

They may start drama at work between you and other colleagues if the relationship doesn't work out.

They may even compromise your job if things go really badly between you both.

It's never a good decision to combine the two in my opinion.

No.  I did it.  Miserable.  I was young, working in a restaurant and there was a good dozen of us friends at work and outside of work.  Dated a boy, he was a night manager, and I was lead.  I had the authority to let staff go when it slowed down and close certain areas.  He went behind me and countered all decisions behind my back.  The staff/friends caught in the middle and upset. I ultimately had to go to the general mgr and though he stopped doing it, the tension was worse.  We all continued to socialize together but regretfully the tension between the two of us often affected everyone else.

I learned this lesson young. Never again.